VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do a lot of walking ... It's my method of commuting. And I really believe that the rules of the road should be the rules of the sidewalk (or mall, or grocery store, or whatever).
In the US, at least, we've at least pretty much agreed to walk on the right, just like we drive. Why stop there? Maybe I'm crazy, but here's what I think:
1. Slow traffic should keep right. There's nothing worse than some slowpoke aimlessly wandering down the middle of the sidewalk -- effectively in the fast lane, making passing maneuvers difficult. Especially if it's someone pushing a giant stroller -- the SUVs of the sidewalk.
2. Pass on the left. When someone zooms past me on the right, I feel like I should pump the horn. It throws me all off-kilter.
3. Merge onto the sidewalk. When you leave a store, or your front door, or whatever, please look where the hell you're going. I hate cruising along in the "right lane" and then just about bowling someone over because they just jetted out of a store without looking. If you are entering a sidewalk: look for an opening in traffic, and merge, keeping pace with traffic.
4. Leave adequate following distances. No tailgating. I get so irritated (then again, I'm easily irritated) at people nipping at my heels. Keep your damn distance.
These things really matter to me. I get sidewalk rage on a daily basis.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Re: Rules of the road as rules of the sidewalk (moosecat)

Quote, originally posted by moosecat »
I get sidewalk rage on a daily basis.

Me too. There's tons of complacent walkers getting off the El every morning. It's almost like they're trying to hold people up, walking five people wide talking to each other not realizing that some people have to catch another subway to make it to class on time.

I'm awkward walking, though. I hate when you're about to cross paths with someone in the other direction and you both pick the same direction to get out of the other person's way, happens to me all the time.
-Andrew

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

It definately would be nice. I hate feeling like I have to dodge people who are too busy talking on their cell phone or just prancing along with their friends. So annoying. Like in a car.

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Re: Rules of the road as rules of the sidewalk (sphipps)

Here's a couple more

1) If you're going to stop and chat, move off to the side.
DO NOT stand in the middle of the sidewalk forcing everyone else to walk on the road/grass around you.
2) If you're the type of people who stroll VERY slowly then walk close together. Nothing worse than a couple of people walking side by side yet two feet apart. People can't squeeze in between you yet the pair of people also take up both sides of the sidewalk.
3)When taking the mutt for a walk have the courtesy to retract that 50 foot lease BEFORE people reach you. I don't want to play "skipping rope" with you if I don't know you. The same goes for walking your 3 year old brat on a leash. And a stupid grin doesn't make it better....
4) Learn to walk in a straight line. I swear some of you are drunk or have been spinning in circles with the way you wander from one side of the sidewalk to the other.
6) Its still considered polite to excuse yourself when you walk into me. I may not know you but a simple "I'm sorry" goes a long way.

·
Premium Member
11,252 Posts
Re: (AndrewTosh)

Worst of all is when people race on the sidewalk, I mean really, take it to the track. I hate it when I'm just out walking and someone thinks I'm going to race them.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
10,140 Posts
Re:

I agree 100%! I do a lot of running. In the winter, when it gets dark too early, and it's too cold, I run at the gym on a small track. 18 laps for a mile. Ugh.
I do 5 miles up there, so that's a LOT of laps. People up there just will not pay attention.
I constantly have people walk out right in front of me, blocking the whole path. I've had people move out just as I'm beside them, and push me into the railings.
It sucks. One girl would do this constantly, she'd just move out to pass people, continueing to walk at her normal pace, never look to see if someone faster was coming up behind her. So I'd always have to come up behind her, and say, "EXCUSE ME!". Of course, it did nothing. Once, I think she got tired of me doing that, so as she was about to pass people, she turned around, saw me right behind her, and moved right in from of me.
As I past her, she yelled, "You know, you're really ignorant!".
So I stopped. I explained to her that it's much easier for a walker to slow down and wait to pass, than it is for a runner to come to a dead stop because people won't pay attention. Then, I used an analogy I use quite often with people like that. I asked her if she were driving down the highway going 55 mph, does she just move into the left hand lane to pass someone without looking. She said no, of course not. I said, "Then don't do it here."

·
Registered
10,140 Posts

P.S. Another observation when running. On this same track, there ARE signs that say slow runners/walkers keep to the inside lane. Pass on the outside ONLY!
I find there are usually a handful of VERY slow runners who insist on ALWAYS running in the passing lane. They never look behind them, and are always getting in people's way. And for some reason, 95% of the time, they're women.
Drives me nuts.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Re: Rules of the road as rules of the sidewalk (pdoel)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I agree 100% with all of these, and would also like to add that they also should apply on stairs/escalators as well. Nothing like someone strolling up the middle of a staircase taking up the entire thing when a mob of people are waiting behind them....

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Re: Rules of the road as rules of the sidewalk (The Other White Meat)

ha...yeah this totally applies to me. I walk really really fast and I can't stand it when people get in my way in Boston. The worst one is walking to my gym in the Pru (a mall in Boston), and running into those chains of people 5 apart taking every amount of space possible. Grr
People walk so damn slow in malls!

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
on a similar note I was grocery shopping the other day and noted how it was much like driving...
1 - I find myself drifting around slippery corners
2 - If your with a female and they see someone they haven't in 5 years they'll block the aisle/road just to catch up
3 - Theres always someone with way too many items and a really small cart
4 - the guy with more then 12 items in the express lane is like the guy with no ez-pass in the ez-pass lane, theres always one
5 - I find myself tailgating a lot
6 - If you manuver the cart recklessly the store manager yelss at you, if you do it in a car the cops yell at you
...there are more I just can't remember, but I think thats a good indicator of how much of a life I need

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Re: (AndrewTosh)

Quote, originally posted by AndrewTosh »
Do Brits and Japanese people walk on the left?

-Andrew

Funnily enough, I do if it's a pedestrianised street - feels a bit weird somehow if I don't. And, of course, always walk on the kerb side of a lady - especially if it's been raining

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Re: (MoochsMalibu)

Quote, originally posted by MoochsMalibu »

1 - I find myself drifting around slippery corners

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Re: Rules of the road as rules of the sidewalk (The Other White Meat)

Quote, originally posted by The Other White Meat »
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I agree 100% with all of these, and would also like to add that they also should apply on stairs/escalators as well. Nothing like someone strolling up the middle of a staircase taking up the entire thing when a mob of people are waiting behind them....

In Europe people seemed to follow the "stand right, pass left" rule. It was even posted on a few of the escalators. Of course the rest of my family got to be the "big fat Americans" blocking the left side

-Andrew

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Re: Rules of the road as rules of the sidewalk (AndrewTosh)

all these rules are null and void when drifting shopping carts...

·
Registered
3,255 Posts

Great thread. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
There is one advantage over walking vs. driving, especially when you are short, wide, and heavy like me. People see that I am short in a crowd and automatically expect me to get out of their way, but are surprised when they run into my my shoulders and they get bumped rather hard. Low center of gravity as well as my excellent handling come in handy on the sidewalk and mall floors.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Re: Rules of the road as rules of the sidewalk (JCJetta)

i get elevator rage once in a while. it seems like people are in a huge hurry to get on an elevator. sometimes when i get to my floor, the door opens and people are standing with their noses on the door and as soon as it opens they start walking on, not even having a chance to see if anyone is getting off first or not. so now i just stand RIGHT in front of the door waiting for someone to walk right into me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts