VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Old man yelling at cloud
42,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Getting pulled over in D.C can make you tremble — literally. A new low-frequency siren that will be deployed across the force's 767 marked patrol cars uses intense bass to vibrate people, cars and objects as far away as 200 feet. The idea is to signal the presence of a police cruiser to drivers who are glued to their phone handsets of have their car stereos turned up.
That the system works so well is in spite of its specs. The Rumbler consists of two 7.25" woofers and a 100- or 200-watt amplifier, which generates frequencies between 182 to 400 Hz. Hardly the kind of numbers that one would expect to rock the world. Yet Federal Signal, the Rumbler's manufacturer, claims it's so disruptive that it has a ten-second shutoff timer to prevent its overuse. And the department has instituted a policy that the Rumbler can be used only in situations where motorists aren't pulling over.
The Rumbler is finding overwhelming favor with officers in the few cars that have it installed. "Cops love new toys," says one department official about the system.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Re: "Rumbler" Lets Cops Shake and Rattle as They Roll ([email protected])

So it will sound like a mildly obnoxious stereo system then?!?

·
Registered
31,223 Posts
Re: "Rumbler" Lets Cops Shake and Rattle as They Roll ([email protected])

Now all they need is to use Pontiacs as cop cars, not only will it vibrate but it'll be ribbed! Orgasmic fines are sure to come

·
I could've been a contender.
41,106 Posts
Re: (justanotherusername)

my european friends correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the UK police & the swedish police have a loud harsh static sound in btwn the whoops of the siren?
ie- whoop, whoop *CKSHHHHH* whoop, whoop
bill

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Re: (kurolap)

Based on what I see around here in cars with lots of bass, it will make them either lean back and drive with one hand resting at 12 o'clock, or put some cheap chromed plastic wheel covers on their cruisers. And maybe a sweet spoiler.

·
Registered
24,992 Posts
Re: (jebglx)

Quote, originally posted by jebglx »
my european friends correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the UK police & the swedish police have a loud harsh static sound in btwn the whoops of the siren?
ie- whoop, whoop *CKSHHHHH* whoop, whoop
bill

i have seen that on tv too
that video makes it totally understandable http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Re: (ablauer)

Quote, originally posted by ablauer »

wow that was annoying. i would definitely pull over if they shut it off!

x2 I could see how this would be effective now after seeing the video

·
Registered
882 Posts
This is scary technology. DARPA has been fooling around with this for a few years as a Crowd Control weapon. Break up protests or any other constitutionally protected gathering. I'm sure if there is a brown-note, then the govt has found it. There are no constitutional protections for your colon, and even if there were, they would be breaking them. The IRS has been violating my Sphincter for years. You know what they say.....you cant shut the doors on the barn (butt) after the horses are out
If there has ever been a reason to buy tinfoil hats, this is it guys!

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Re: "Rumbler" Lets Cops Shake and Rattle as They Roll (CoolJetta3)

Quote, originally posted by CoolJetta3 »
pump up the volume

Quote, originally posted by CoolJetta3 »
pump up the volume

Dance! dance!!!

·
Registered
2019 Pajero Sport and 1999 100 series LC
12,530 Posts
Re: (DanTurboGP)

Quote, originally posted by DanTurboGP »
This is scary technology. DARPA has been fooling around with this for a few years as a Crowd Control weapon. Break up protests or any other constitutionally protected gathering. I'm sure if there is a brown-note, then the govt has found it. There are no constitutional protections for your colon, and even if there were, they would be breaking them.

Myth Busted.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.