VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and i lined up in the middle of the night on a road that was completly empty and went for it. The only mod i have on my car is an intake and 113,000 miles. He is bone stock and knows how to drive .... we lined up and at the line and he got me by one and a half cars by the time i shifted to second (insert laughter here - i know i suck at launching the VR6) from there till the middle of third we stayed exactly like that with me gaining a slowly. Granted I royaly messed up the launch i though i would have beat him. Gotta have respect for the SUBARU's - they get off the line ridiculously quick with that AWD. And the gearing is so close on the cars too. Daymnnn i think im losing power somewhere. Gotta change the O2 sensor and get GIAC. ANyway, anyone have any expeiences with these cars?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Re: Run in with a 1998 2.5 RS (VR6U-UP)

I think you can definitely take him, get the launch down since it already sounds like you know your problem. Maybe a couple of the guys and gals can give some pointers on perfecting the "launch".

·
Registered
641 Posts

Never raced one (racing is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif ) but I've driven in one, and wow, quick for a 4-cylinder. A 98 2.5 RS was in fact my first choice for a car but it was just too much $$....still want one though! maybe a wrx instead when I pull $40000 out of my butt.....

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Re: Run in with a 1998 2.5 RS (vdubbed)

Stock the 2.5s are no straight line monsters after the launch. You should reel him in rather quickly. Rev up to 4K and slip the clutch while easing into the gas http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Run in with a 1998 2.5 RS (vr6willeatyou)

is slipping the clutch - keeping your RPMS at a certain level and slowly letting the clutch out to avoid loss of traction? excuse me for the ignorance.
When i got off the line, no chirp, no squeeling, it was all out horrible. Damn my brother.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts

i have raced a 2000 subaru 2.5 RS with both my vr6 and with the rabbit. VR6: yea it jumped me on the line due to the AWD. But right after that i KILLED it. majorly. you must not be shifting right if it kept up with you.

·
Registered
21,868 Posts
Re: Run in with a 1998 2.5 RS (pdxvento)

They're 165hp. You should be faster. Not a lot but a little. Off the line they may jump, but by third you're even and fourth is the pull.
And I also think this is pretty stupid to do unless you keep it at reasonable speeds for the road you are on. Then hey.. have a little fun at least.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.