VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a big VW forced induction guy with gas engines so i understand what all could be doing this. This is my dads TDI and he came to me for help. I don't know anything about TDI'S so i'm coming to you guys.
Question is if it's not a boost pipe or cuppling that has worked it's way off or a vac line that has come off the wastegate then could it be the turbo? My dads vw mechanic told him that VW turbo's are going out all the time and there about 1000$ to replace.
2ND question, does the wastegate fail to the open position if a vac line pops off or the actuator messes up?
3rd question if it is the turbo what other turbo's are you guys swapping out that are compatible with the TDI manifold and downpipe that are cheaper then a brand new stock one. My dad isn't looking for performace gains he's just trying to save a buck. If it is more cost effective to slap on a new aftermarket one that will just bolt up without haveing to up injector size or do all the other stuff then what do ya recomend? Thanks in advance!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
459 Posts
if you need a turbo you can go here he has stock ones or performance ones http://www.kermatdi.com
How many miles are on the turbo. The intakes get clogged with soot as well as the vanes in the turbo get clogged with soot. If the vanes are clogged the turbo can be taken apart and cleaned.
You may want to try to move the vnt on the turbo and see if its sticking. This is very comon problem.
The new vnt 15 replacement turbos can be bought for around 600.
I had a similar problem with my stock turbo and I had to manually move the rod on the turbo and it would start working again I would try that then drive the car and see if boost comes back.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Re: Running an 02 golf TDI and now no boost. Help please. (blowndub)

Did you replace the mass airflow sensor? 3/4 of the time the MAS gets covered with crud... the ECU doesn't "see" the airflow, so it doesn't activate the turbo or increase the fuel delivery.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Running an 02 golf TDI and now no boost. Help please. (TurboDieselTech)

He said it just stopped making boost it was a sudden thing from what i understand. I'll have to get with him 2 morrow when he starts to check the things i told him to check. So do these internal waste gates fail in the open position? I'll have him check the intake also to see whats going on in there. Man those turbo's really get clogged that bad to the point of making no boost? wow I'm gona tell him he needs to run it harder.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts

I'd bet you money it's the Mass Airflow Sensor. I've had 4 of them die on my Golf. The last time it happened I was accelerating onto the freeway, and all of a sudden, all boost vanished. Bought an MAF, and 5 minutes later, all was better.
The turbos do not die often. You can buy a lot of MAFs for the cost of a turbo. Check it first.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
also check the boost solenoid. I believe that it's called the n75. It has 3 vacuum lines coing out of it
And before you buy a new one...
Remove it and clean it out with carb cleaner.
Replace all the vacuum hoses...these are simple cars, there's not a lot of vacuum hoses and they are easily accessed. One could have sprouted a crack or rubbed a hole.
here is a picture, the n75 is the solenoid with the red vac line pointing down, above the coolant tank. There are 3 vac lines total coming out of it. This is from a passat but it's basically in the same spot in your car. (except the coolant tank)

here is a picture from my shock strut replacement page

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1...t.htm

Modified by chittychittybangbang at 5:46 PM 6-16-2007

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (chittychittybangbang)

Cool guys thanks for the help!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I had him go out and look at some stuff for me and he end up findING a line that plugs into the intake or something and something that rubbed on one of the belts and now has a hole in it. He said he would look it up in the book and tell me what it is. I told him to pull the MAF sensor and hose it down with some cleaner also. He said this line was not a vac line and the way he was describeing it sounded like the diverter line. I'll have more info in a bit when he gets off his duff and looks up what that line was.

·
Registered
282 Posts

Quote, originally posted by blowndub »
So do these internal waste gates fail in the open position?:

If the holed line is not the problem.... The Variable Nozzle Turbo (VNT) does not have a waste gate. But the variable nozzle portion is actuated by a vacuum pot. This sticks, and you get no boost.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Running an 02 golf TDI and now no boost. Help please. (TDIguy2)

Quote, originally posted by TDIguy2 »

If the holed line is not the problem.... The Variable Nozzle Turbo (VNT) does not have a waste gate. But the variable nozzle portion is actuated by a vacuum pot. This sticks, and you get no boost.

What do i have my dad look for so he can tell me if he has a VNT variable nozzle turbo? It's a 2002 golf TDI if that helps.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts

Quote, originally posted by blowndub »

What do i have my dad look for so he can tell me if he has a VNT variable nozzle turbo? It's a 2002 golf TDI if that helps.

look at the turbo, all TDI's made after 1999.5 have VNT turbos.

under the car looking up on the passenger side,
you can see the turbo, or follow the vacuum hose down to it

The VNT shaft, (connecting the VNT ring to the VNT actuator (big metal canister) should move back and fourth freely)
next test is to use a Mityvac or hand vacuum to actuate the turbo, to see if it is working properly without any holes in the VNT diaphragm.

Modified by woofie2 at 1:21 AM 6-20-2007

·
Registered
282 Posts
Re: Running an 02 golf TDI and now no boost. Help please. (woofie2)

Thats a good picture.
Blowndub, the actuator is the piece between the fans. The shaft sticks some times. If you have a VAG COM you can see it as the engine is calling for boost, but nothing is happening. I have seen these removed and freed up. I also have heard they can be bought seperately, but I do not have a source to offer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.