VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Banned
12,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The resistances of the standard fuel gauge are something around 0-90 or 70-200 ohms. A standard VDO aftermarket gauge is 70-10 ohms. give or take. I haven't been able to find a gauge that comes even close to the resistances sent by the stock fuel sender. I've seen a few aftermarket senders and they suck. Has anyone circumvented this issue?

· Registered
10,770 Posts
Re: Running an aftermarket fuel gauge... (Digital K.)

Not vdo but I have autometer. They sell a gauge that is close to the stock resistance but not 100% perfect. I would just always fill up after X miles anyways and it was usually 9 or 10 gallon fill up as it always read a bit high.
It's been a while but I think it was the following
Range: 240Ωs Empty / 33Ωs Full

Modified by d-bot at 11:12 AM 3-22-2010

· Registered
815 Posts
Re: Running an aftermarket fuel gauge... (d-bot)

Quote, originally posted by d-bot »
I would just always fill up after X miles anyways and it was usually 9 or 10 gallon fill up as it always read a bit high.

sry, i dont quite understand??

· Registered
12,072 Posts
Re: Running an aftermarket fuel gauge... (16volt)

Kris, I once saw in a rabbit race car where someone had taken a regular VDO gauge and taken its guts out and used the shell. They had somehow mounted the factory rabbit fuel gauge from a cluster in behind the glass and in the shell of a VDO round gauge.
Not sure how hard that was but its something to consider if you cant find what you need.

· Registered
10,770 Posts
Re: Running an aftermarket fuel gauge... (justin_6649)

Quote, originally posted by justin_6649 »

sry, i dont quite understand??

The gauge wasn't 100% accurate, it would read more than what it actually had in there by a decent amount. A resistor or something in line may be able to change the reading to something more accurate.

· Registered
7,880 Posts
Re: Running an aftermarket fuel gauge... (deathhare.)

I guess it would be a trial and error thing. I've done it before to get my stock gauge accurate.
Ran it as close to empty as I could, put 5 gallons in, and bent/installed it a few time times until I got a halfway register. There's also stop tabs that I've bent to register empty and full.
I need to tweak the full stop on the diesel... If I fill it to the top of the filler neck, it's slightly lower than the full mark.
-Todd

· Registered
9,906 Posts
Re: Running an aftermarket fuel gauge... (ToddA1)

there is a vdo gauge that looks like the one you have pictured that uses the stock resistance. i have one in my rabbit, i got the part number from WWR before i bought it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Its not 100% perfect, and it moves a ton when driving, but its accurate down to the last half gal or so from what i can tell. i need to spend a bit more time driving it on the street though, i have almost solely driven it on the track since i put the gauge in.

· Registered
9,906 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Digital K.)

i dont have it written down anywhere and i havnt even seen my car in roughly 5 months otherwise i could pop it out fairly easily and get it for you, maybe WWR has it still? good luck man, but at least you know its out there

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.