VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(sorry to double post, but i need help asap) Why tonite, when i was not pushing my car hard at all(keeping under 3500 rpm w/ no highway driving) is my car running hot. water temp is 230 and oil temp is 240? any help would be greatly appreciated asap please

·
Registered
578 Posts
Re: RUNNING HOT (vdubin90)

Battery ground being poor can cause gauges to read high or maybe you need a new radiator.
Jim
dieselgeek.com

·
Registered
2,048 Posts

Cross checking you gauge is a good idea. Radio Shack has infrared temp gauges for like $40. I can't find anything on my car that is hotter than 195, even though my gauge reads 230. I usually use it around the thermostat, were it should be the hottest. If any body has a problem with this methadology, please speak up. I'm not the know all-be all.
It's pretty handy for other things, too. Tire temp, oil temp, A/C temp, steak temp, beer temp, butt temp

·
Registered
409 Posts
Re: RUNNING HOT (jroyston)

the poor battery ground (loose connection), down on the engine, was my problem with my engine overheating a while back.
Mike
94 Corrado

·
Registered
13,009 Posts
Re: RUNNING HOT (FuriousGeorge!!)

Interesting, I'll have to stop by Radio Shack and pick one of those up! Mine never use to get over 190, but now that we have hot weather in WI (that's only 90 degrees) tonite while tooling around town, my gauge was reading 230 and the fan never kicked in. When is the fan suppose to kick in anyway?
Brian

·
Registered
497 Posts
Re: RUNNING HOT (ButchHusky)

I have been having the exact same problem. I first suspected the fan switch since the fans weren't turning on, but when I changed the switch, the exact same thing happened. Then I noticed that the fans do turn on at about 215(low) and 235(high) according to the water temp gauge. I then and up until I read this post thought it might be the temp sending unit. But now I think I will check my ground as well and possibly pick up a infrared thermometer.
This forum is great!
thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
562 Posts
Re: RUNNING HOT (vwvr6vw)

I would checked the fuses first. I forget which one that controls the fans, but just checked them all.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Re: RUNNING HOT (onetufvw)

The fans wouldn't work at all if the fuse was blown. Don't know if that's what vdubin90's symptoms are.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Re: RUNNING HOT (ButchHusky)

you should wire up a manual switch for the fan so you can monitor the temp and then turn on the fan when it gets too hot. My car needs a new radiator right now and that helps quite a bit. It doesn't take long- find a 20A automotive switch at RadioShack and run leads to your fan.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: RUNNING HOT (eve_ill)

my fans work fine, my car is just running weird tho. its running hot, and burning through coolant. and i do not have a blown headgasket, so i dont kno.....any more ideas

·
Registered
322 Posts

Maybe your cap is leaking. If the system is not pressurized then you will burn coolant. Try letting it run for a while and watch and see if any steam is leaking, or listen for any leaks, hissing...

·
Registered
849 Posts

Check the belt between the main fan and the slave. It is prone to failure. when it goes you only get 1/2 the normal air flow. $14 for the belt and a pain to change. Might just be what you need.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Re: RUNNING HOT (MonoSki)

I just want to thank my fellow C owners. I have been having trouble with my sister's 93 Jetta and what seem to be an over heating problem. I pretty much determined that it wasn't over heat but the temp was all messed up. Sometimes it would read 230 others times it would be normal. It end up being a grounding problem. I had just finished doing a clutch and rear engine seal and the tranny ground was loose. I searched both the 2.0l and gti/jettaIII forums with no luck. C owners know where its at!
Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
Re: RUNNING HOT (Sact-O Corrad-O)

If you have AC, pushing the Norm or Max button with the blower on should start the cooling fan in high-speed mode, regardless of engine temp. If this doesn't happen, your fan motor or relay could be bad.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts

I've had the same problem twice with 2 different causes.
1. Bad thermostat. Wouldn't open causing engine to run hot and overheat after a while
2. Bad fan switch. Fan would not come on and after sitting in traffic temp would get high. Try forcing the fan on by turning on the A/C or blasting the heat too cool off the engine. If this brings the temp down it's probably your fan switch not a bad ground.
I'd be wary of using an IR temp gauge to read anything but surface temps. The coolant inside the hose will be much hotter than the surface of the rubber hose. Rubber is a good thermal insulator and will hold a lot of the heat in. The only way to accuratly check the gauge reading is to install a temp gauge that takes readings directly from the coolant (ie direct contact.)

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: RUNNING HOT (thetatau87)

quote:[HR][/HR]I'd be wary of using an IR temp gauge to read anything but surface temps.[HR][/HR]​
The thing an IR temp gauge is good for is determining if you have a blockage in your system.
For instance, if you shoot one part of the radiator, and then shoot another part of the radiator, and the second part is 50 degrees cooler, then you've probably got a badly clogged radiator. Similarly, if you shoot the hose going in to the heater core, and the hose coming out, and they are wildly different.
A good way to test the opening point of thermostats, operating point of fan switches, accuracy of water and/or oil temp gauges, etc etc. is to put the sensor/thermostat etc into a pot of water, and slowly heat the water up. Put an accurate thermometer in there with the item, and you can get a feel for its accuracy.
-Nate

[Modified by SaabFan, 8:56 AM 4-29-2002]

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Re: RUNNING HOT (SaabFan)

yeah, my car was running hot, i changed the thermostat and it lowered my oil temps by like 20º and water by 20º also. my oil stays around 204 and water around 204 also. i also had a vaccumeline that was off, i had to clamp it on and that cauised it to cool down a lot. it was the 1/4 inch hose that hooks to the throttle body. just somethign to keep in mind.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Re: RUNNING HOT (Sact-O Corrad-O)

I found that the electrical plug into the back of the fan is loose, sometimes leaving fan witout power. Used zip ties to tie it tight. Putting a little upward torque on the connector by zip tying it to one of the fan shroud spokes helped, too.

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: RUNNING HOT (AZVDUBYA)

quote:[HR][/HR]I found that the electrical plug into the back of the fan is loose, sometimes leaving fan witout power. Used zip ties to tie it tight. Putting a little upward torque on the connector by zip tying it to one of the fan shroud spokes helped, too.[HR][/HR]​
Yes, I think that's a common problem - my brother's SLC requires a similar "modification" to hold the fan's wiring harness in place.
-Nate

1 - 20 of 24 Posts