VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a '86 Jetta I bought for $100. I didn't check the body as well as I should have and I'm discover rot more and more. The intent was to make it into an Auto-X car so it doesn't have to be pretty, just stronge and safe.
I'm new to body work and welding, so I'd like some honest opinions on this. Is it worth fixing? Can I fix it?
Some pics (sorry for the big images...)

Modified by smoke3006 at 11:31 AM 9-14-2005

· Registered
543 Posts
Re: Rust damage, how bad is it and can it be repaired easily... (smoke3006)

I would think you might want to start w/ something in a bit better shape. I see the tower is rusted pretty good and the only way to repair it correctly is to replace the tower, which can be a ton of work. Sorry.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Rust damage, how bad is it and can it be repaired easily... ([email protected])

I didn't even notice the rust damage to the rear tower until last night. I wasn't too thrilled when I saw that. So that looks bad enough to have to replace the whole thing? Crud. I think the next trip for this Jetta will be the junk yard

· Registered
2,544 Posts
Re: Rust damage, how bad is it and can it be repaired easily... (smoke3006)

Weld it up nicely and carefully, as to not warp other things with the heat and you'll be good... as for the floor... scrap it, put a 2X4 for you feet and replace the weight a roll cage

· Registered
6,891 Posts
Re: Rust damage, how bad is it and can it be repaired easily... ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
start w/ a rust free car..

Ha, good luck finding that. By the time I got to that point, I was in too deep. New front crossmembers, floor pans, rear wheel arches (inner and outer fender). The strut tower was the easiest part, only took a couple of hours and a junkyard peice. After stripping all the undercoat/seam sealer off I gave it a couple of coats of POR on the bottom and epoxy primer up top. Good luck with what ever you decide go with. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.