VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm from western Canada and am looking a picking up a truck from the Chicago area and am just curious if cars rust out in Chicago as fast as they do in Ontario. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Re: Rust in Chicago? (Sluggo)

Quote, originally posted by Sluggo »
Hey guys, I'm from western Canada and am looking a picking up a truck from the Chicago area and am just curious if cars rust out in Chicago as fast as they do in Ontario. Thanks for any input.

I'm not sure about the rate at which a vehicle may rust in these parts, but I do know that many towns and cities in Illinois use salt on the roads during winter. If the truck has been neglected (paint wise) or has any body damage that has not been repaired or has been repaired in properly, then chances are there might be signs of rust. Good luck with the purchase. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
Re: Rust in Chicago? (Chalm)

I'll tell you first hand you will have better luck in Chicago winning the lottery than finding a rust free vehicle. We don't just use a little salt on the roads... we use a whole hell of a lot.

Unfortunate, but it keeps me in business.
Edit: I should clarify. Not *all* cars are rusty heaps in Chicago. That said, personally it's well worth the additional time spent to travel down towards St. Louis, as it's just a few additional hours and the chances of it being solid are greatly improved. Not to mention, likely a good deal cheaper as well. That's if you are talking classics...or even a decade old vehicle. Anything a few years old at this point, personally I wouldn't worry too much about as long as it was kept up.

Modified by Gary C at 1:04 AM 11-24-2008

·
Registered
14,515 Posts
Re: Rust in Chicago? (Gary C)

Man, I don't know... I drove through a not-so-great neighborhood in Chicago earlier today and some dude at the McDonalds Drive-Thru had a MINT Suzuki Samurai. I'm talking so mint that museums don't have Samurais this mint. I was like

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
Re: Rust in Chicago? (Assle)

That's honestly shocking. The *vast* majority of the ones I've seen typically you can put your fist through the rockers and floor.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Rust in Chicago? (Gary C)

It's an 2005 Tacoma with 40k miles on it, and I think it only spent 2 winters in Chicago before it came up here. Who knows? Maybe I'll just keep hunting for one that has spent its whole life here.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Re: Rust in Chicago? (Sluggo)

You want rust free cars and trucks go to Arizona. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Re: Rust in Chicago? (dinodman)

Quote, originally posted by dinodman »
You want rust free cars and trucks go to Arizona. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

yup.. true enough..
and EXACTLY why we bought our 2001 GMC duramax from Phoenix instead of here in chicago...
Its been through 1 chicago winter and sadly already has rust showing on the frame (surface only at this point).. but the cancer is BAD in chicago..
look in phoenix for an older rust free truck!!! plenty to buy down there!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts