VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dunno if all y'all own older vw's but what I got is standing water in my garage. This rabbit I landed on is going to turn on me if I don't do something quick.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
23,249 Posts
Wow that thing looks mint. What's the question again, are you looking to rustproof the VW or your garage?

·
Banned
'21 Kona EV, '21 Bolt
3,958 Posts
Do you live near salt water? I feel like that's the first question that needs to be answered before you talk about protecting an older car from rust.

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
As long as you don’t drive it on the Bonneville or the Johnsonville Salt Flats you should be ok.
Disagree. My Audi was fairly spotless when I bought it, and for some reason the garage I had in 2009 had a roll of carpet that wasn't mine (shared space). Anyway, the carpet roll got wet, and held moisture. The garage had no screen windows, so it was very humid. I didn't drive much from Jan-April that year, and you'd have been amazed how much orange nastiness showed up in just a short time period.

For the Garage: Run a box fan, and run a dehumidifier. Yeah, running a dehumidifier non stop will cost you like $20-30 a month, but so what, that is cheap compared to rust repair. Since you said the garage is wet, I am guessing it's an older pour, probably without a vapor barrier like used in modern construction. That is okay; what you want to do is pressure wash the garage/scrub it clean, get all crap off the floor, then flood it with some of this stuff:

Basically, you flood it with this stuff, which is a very thin glue/binder. It gets sucked down into all the little cracks/pores of the concrete, you wait for it to gel up a bit, then you rinse it all off and squeegee it. It made a massive difference in my garage humidity, hope it works for you.

·
Registered
9,934 Posts
Looks clean, but pickups are extra rust prone due to double panels in the front strut towers. There are two stamped pieces of sheet metal welded one atop the other with about .250” in between. Over the years, they collect rocks/dirt/etc. and rust from the inside out. Even trucks that appear clean can be rusting from the inside out. Been there, done that.

I’d be particularly weary seeing that both the exterior and engine bar of the truck have clearly been painted.

·
Banned
'21 Kona EV, '21 Bolt
3,958 Posts
As long as you don’t drive it on the Bonneville or the Johnsonville Salt Flats you should be ok.
I live on a place called Long Island where every town around me contain the words, "port," "ocean," "bay," etc. Last year all my trees died back half way from salt spray.

The OP has Jersey plates in his pic with lots of low trees.

So, that's why I ask. "Do you live near salt water?"

It's relevant to some people even if it's not relevant to most.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I dunno if all y'all own older vw's but what I got is standing water in my garage. This rabbit I landed on is going to turn on me if I don't do something quick.

Manny:

Nice-looking Ca. Y! How's it run? Do you mean there's rust on the car that you want to take care of? I have a MKIII Jetta and I had the rockets, fenders, etc. replaced. I took care of the rest of the rust with a wire brush and sanding disks. Shot Picklex 20 on everything, then painted and hit it with Fluid Film. I also used Eastwood Rubberized Undercoating spray. Good stuff. And I don't live near the beach although I am in Jersey. I HATE rust! Try Picklex 20. Best rust stuff I've used. Period. Have fun!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Check the Preservation and Restoration forum. I’ve got a thread about Woolwax, and I’m gonna start one about 3M cavity wax.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow that thing looks mint. What's the question again, are you looking to rustproof the VW or your garage?
When it rains the building garage seeps in water which stays for some time. I was thinking of working in some type of undercoating.

Do you live near salt water? I feel like that's the first question that needs to be answered before you talk about protecting an older car from rust.
Yes I do and please read post above about how it accumulates to standing water.

This thing has only 4 gears and 60 odd ponies I don't think it qualifies for that type of fun.

Disagree. My Audi was fairly spotless when I bought it, and for some reason the garage I had in 2009 had a roll of carpet that wasn't mine (shared space). Anyway, the carpet roll got wet, and held moisture. The garage had no screen windows, so it was very humid. I didn't drive much from Jan-April that year, and you'd have been amazed how much orange nastiness showed up in just a short time period.

For the Garage: Run a box fan, and run a dehumidifier. Yeah, running a dehumidifier non stop will cost you like $20-30 a month, but so what, that is cheap compared to rust repair. Since you said the garage is wet, I am guessing it's an older pour, probably without a vapor barrier like used in modern construction. That is okay; what you want to do is pressure wash the garage/scrub it clean, get all crap off the floor, then flood it with some of this stuff:

Basically, you flood it with this stuff, which is a very thin glue/binder. It gets sucked down into all the little cracks/pores of the concrete, you wait for it to gel up a bit, then you rinse it all off and squeegee it. It made a massive difference in my garage humidity, hope it works for you.
I like the dehumidifier idea I can add right away! Bit it is not my garage and the water makes its way through bad foundation work above.

Looks clean, but pickups are extra rust prone due to double panels in the front strut towers. There are two stamped pieces of sheet metal welded one atop the other with about .250” in between. Over the years, they collect rocks/dirt/etc. and rust from the inside out. Even trucks that appear clean can be rusting from the inside out. Been there, done that.

I’d be particularly weary seeing that both the exterior and engine bar of the truck have clearly been painted.
Yes I am containing my excitement until the paint has been stripped of. But for now I need to store it and this is why I need help figuring out how to stop it from rusting.

What if I just parked it outside with bed top and do not drive it for some time? Would that still accumulate rust over a few seasons?

I live on a place called Long Island where every town around me contain the words, "port," "ocean," "bay," etc. Last year all my trees died back half way from salt spray.

The OP has Jersey plates in his pic with lots of low trees.

So, that's why I ask. "Do you live near salt water?"

It's relevant to some people even if it's not relevant to most.
Yes, good catch it is Jersey. It's not a van but I would like to take it down by the river without it turning on me.

Manny:

Nice-looking Ca. Y! How's it run? Do you mean there's rust on the car that you want to take care of? I have a MKIII Jetta and I had the rockets, fenders, etc. replaced. I took care of the rest of the rust with a wire brush and sanding disks. Shot Picklex 20 on everything, then painted and hit it with Fluid Film. I also used Eastwood Rubberized Undercoating spray. Good stuff. And I don't live near the beach although I am in Jersey. I HATE rust! Try Picklex 20. Best rust stuff I've used. Period. Have fun!
Far as I could see there is minimal rust to non in the most important of areas. The body might be hiding some under that paint. The stuff you recommended must be good at $60 a bottle. I think I'll give that stuff a shot in the corners of the door where there's a little bit of orange.

Check the Preservation and Restoration forum. I’ve got a thread about Woolwax, and I’m gonna start one about 3M cavity wax.
I'll ✅ it out!

·
Banned
'21 Kona EV, '21 Bolt
3,958 Posts
Yes I do and please read post above about how it accumulates to standing water.
Yes, good catch it is Jersey. It's not a van but I would like to take it down by the river without it turning on me.
Ignore that dude who said don't worry about it and definitely do worry about it. Not like lying up at night unable to sleep worry but note that the elements are working on you faster than elsewhere. The garage is a good choice and I would solve it and store it there. Until you solve it, if this is going to be like a 6 month saga you're going to probably want a car cover.

I live a few blocks from canals coming off a bay on the other side of the real beach (you know what I mean if you're from a beach town). I live far enough you'd think I'd be ok from salt spray but every odd storm does bring it. This is your literal worst enemy and spots prone to rust can turn in literal 24 hours (I've seen it!). I swear some day I want to put a garden tool outside when it rains and then time lapse the rust.

You want to obsessively remove any salt from your car. Park near the beach? Wash it.

Other than that you want to do the usual things and if you're obsessive over them you should be good. Keep your car clean and waxed. Monthly waxing if you're going to be doing anything like daily driving.

Also, body shops in your area who work on sweet cars are going to be a source of good information. Better than any of us. Local conditions are specific sometimes.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
If your garage routinely has any amount of standing water, I would seriously try to avoid parking anything in there. The humidity will cause any exposed metal to start rusting and will make the interior smell like grandma's musty basement.

For the undercarriage, look into getting the truck sprayed with Fluid Film or Krown or something along those lines. I've never lived near an ocean, but if you're worried about salt spray I would put a good paint sealant on and wash it regularly.

Edit: Please do not use rubberized undercoating under any circumstances. It looks awful, it's really hard to remove if you change your mind or need to take something apart and moisture can actually travel underneath the coating and accelerate rusting.

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
When it rains the building garage seeps in water which stays for some time.
I like the dehumidifier idea I can add right away! Bit it is not my garage and the water makes its way through bad foundation work above.
Can you post a pic of the garage? Water coming from above sounds bizarre. But the stuff I listed is CHEAP man, like $30! It makes a huge difference, even if it was not my garage I would do it purely to help with the moisture, landlord will most likely thank you.

·
Banned
Gecko BoostBalls - Quattro Krautgeist
26,308 Posts
Dip it in bacon grease. It's really eco friendly cosmoline.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Can you post a pic of the garage? Water coming from above sounds bizarre. But the stuff I listed is CHEAP man, like $30! It makes a huge difference, even if it was not my garage I would do it purely to help with the moisture, landlord will most likely thank you.
I'm thinking the gray house in the first picture is his house and the garage is below grade.

·
Registered
45,749 Posts
Well, the first thing I'd do is move dirt (if necessary and if you can since you're renting) and fix any broken downspouts/upsize them. Getting water away from the foundation is paramount to having the water stay out. After that I'd recommend some way to vent the garage.

Then I'd worry about the car itself.

Nice Cabby, but I thought you said "old" Volkswagen. :unsure:

·
Banned
'21 Kona EV, '21 Bolt
3,958 Posts
Missed this. I've stopped myself from replying in foundation and basement sealing stuff but overall ADDvanced is probably right. You really need to figure out the source of that water is the bottom line first though. When it's raining, is the water pooling at your property? If so concrete is super porous and you can get literal feet in your basement in extreme instances. Why this is happening could be a ton of things but the best guess would be a bad grade.

I think the bottom line is no one here can diagnose and tell you what to do over the internet with that garage. We can only give you hints as to what it may be.

If I had to guess, you'll be able to grade your way out of this mess. Once you control the source I'd then reassess. In NJ if you're more than 4-5 feet below grade you will struggle to keep it below 50% humidity. Really, really watch out for any water main that may be going through that garage. On a hot day it will literally drip water into an unfinished basement or garage and the sweat can contribute quite significantly to humidity. (especially if that pipe follows the ceiling above grade because that's where the heat pools)

Also how many feet above sea level is your house, specifically? How high is the water table?

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
^ yeah, grading and downspout extensions will help, but if it's odler construction and the pad has no vapor barrier and the walls are exposed cinderblock, it's still going to be moist AF.

One other thing, since I forgot it in my original suggestion (moisture stop the floor), if you see water ACTIVELY dripping into the garage from the wall, use some hydraulic cement and a trowel to plug it up, then cover everything with some moisture barrier paint; I used a 5 gallon jug of DryLok Extreme cinder block paint. Get the biggest, stiffest ( ;) ) brush you can, it's a workout to put that stuff on since it's like syrup.

Up to you, I know you said it's not your garage but $150-200 in materials and a weekend will make it a LOT nicer place to be, and protect your investment. Talk to your landlord, they may even reimburse you for materials. I had an apartment like that once, the first few months I barely paid any rent since I was just fixing everything. When I left that place, they jacked up the monthly rent payment since it was so much nicer; they got free labor, I got a nicer place to live, win win

1 - 20 of 40 Posts