VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTF right? I'm all over the place because I frankly have no idea what I want....

I want a fun daily for myself and my kid, prefer a 4 door, but have managed w/ a 2dr plenty.

Some contenders that sound fun....

RX8
IS300
GTO
3/5 series BMW, like 2000+
Mazda6
Acura TSX/TL/?

Trying to stay around $10k, and prefer a comfy ride that's sporty. Manual is a must.

I've found rx8's/is300's as cheap as like $8-9k, the rest is all more expensive...

Whaddya guys think and why?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Well the GTO would be the most fun IMO but I cant see the rx8 being bad either... I wouldnt touch the acuras...

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
There is nothing fun about a Lexus IS300

I'd go for the GTO or the RX8 (as long as you want to deal with the maintenance). They are an order of magnitude more fun than the other cars on the list

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
The RX8, out of the box, will probably be the most fun to drive if you're into balance above all else. They're kind of magic that way. But you'd have to do a lot of research to avoid getting a bad one.

The IS300 will need suspension work almost immediately. And the 2JZ is no screamer. It's sort of bread for torque. But that can be changed. :laugh:

The GTO is a 4 seater Corvette. It's got a few extra pounds but I mean, they're fantastic looking, sound great and can make tons of power.

The BMWs will be great, I mean great, to drive, but they could nickel and dime you to death.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
WTF right? I'm all over the place because I frankly have no idea what I want....

I want a fun daily for myself and my kid, prefer a 4 door, but have managed w/ a 2dr plenty.

Some contenders that sound fun....

RX8
IS300
GTO
3/5 series BMW, like 2000+
Mazda6
Acura TSX/TL/?

Trying to stay around $10k, and prefer a comfy ride that's sporty. Manual is a must.

I've found rx8's/is300's as cheap as like $8-9k, the rest is all more expensive...

Whaddya guys think and why?
How old is your kid? I personally wouldn't do a RX8 with a young kid (for me, rear seats/boosters are too much of a hassle with 2dr cars). It's probably the most fun out of the bunch though.

Out of your list I'd probably pick the GTO (I hate the looks though...) or a BMW.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She's 6, gets in/out herself but in a booster still as she's pretty small. I think the gto would be the best option as well, theyre slightly more, but I was just worried about rear seat room.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I disagree, I think they are a fun little sedan and I would have no problem driving one everyday.
They are heavy and slow as ****. Not my idea of fun. I mean, it's not a penalty box but there are literally dozens of more fun cars in his price range.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I have never seen a 5 speed in my area for sale, ever. Let alone even seen one.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=is300&catAbb=cta&srchType=T&minAsk=&maxAsk=
There was a time when I was thinking about replacing the Audi in Europe with something from the States and I was heavily browsing the IS300. I'd usually find 2-3 here in the Tri-State area with the 5 M/T, it has drilled aluminum pedals also with an aluminum/chrome shift knob.

Well it was that and a 5 M/T B5 1.8T, AWD would've been awesome on those roads.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
GTO.

I'm biased, but I can say of all the fast/quick cars I've owned this has been far and above the most fun car I've ever owned. It's simple and reliable and fun. Body or trim parts may be slightly more hard to come by but mechanically there's parts everywhere.

The back seats are huge and comfy. It's tough to get a kid in a baby seat in the back (I have one) but no harder than any other 2 door.

Decent highway mileage (25-27mpg), 17ish in the city. Trunk space leaves a lot to be desired.

Car is capable in the twisties but wouldn't hold a candle to the others, stock for stock. Interior is actually decently appointed (throw away any usual conceptions you may have of standard domestic interiors)

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
How old is your kid? I personally wouldn't do a RX8 with a young kid (for me, rear seats/boosters are too much of a hassle with 2dr cars). It's probably the most fun out of the bunch though.
FYI, RX8 is a 4 door.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
What the **** are you comparing it to? :screwy:
Possibly the other cars in his list? And the other cars not on his list that fit his criteria?

It's literally slower than every other car he listed:laugh: Except maybe the Mazda 6. And it's not significantly lighter than any of the cars on his list except ones that are much more powerful (GTO, 5-Series, TL)

My question is, what are YOU comparing it to? The IS300 doesn't really compare favorably to many other cars if you're looking for something fun to drive

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
There is nothing fun about a Lexus IS300

I'd go for the GTO or the RX8 (as long as you want to deal with the maintenance). They are an order of magnitude more fun than the other cars on the list
OP said he prefered a sedan though. The IS300 is a fun car IMO and probably handles better than the GTO.

I chose the E46 330i 2 years ago when looking for the same thing and have been very happy with my choice

1 - 20 of 41 Posts