VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 452 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A recent article about the Rx8 and the 8 year/160,000km Engine warranty:
http://www.speedsportlife.com/...ough/
I am posting here to share some thoughts about the car. Just FYI, I bought a 2007 new car with 13k off MSRP last week.
I have been smiling every moment I drive this amazing machine.
Granted, I used to have a 1.8T who never loses to a Rx8 on a straightline. However, the moment you hear the beep at 9k rpm, the moment you accelerate INTO a 270degree highway onramps from 45km and ends up at 90km+, the moment you realize that engine is hand built by someone in Japan and also with a carbon fiber driveshaft, you cannot stop but smiling to yourself.

This is a great car. Especially with the current fuel rise craze, no one will buy it. But to a car enthusiast, this is THE BEST time to get one for cheap.
You are buying a piece of legend, you are buying the only new mass production engine design since the 20th century, you are buying a machine that was the hard work of one company vs the whole world.
Name me a car that has all these perfect balance of power, handling, praticality, and build quality at such a great price. The only car I can think of is 128i, and I can assure you its defintiely more expensive than the rx8, even with the mpg difference for a 8 year period. And it also doesn't have a LSD.
Moreover, the rotary engine may discontinue in 10 years if gas price keep going up. Won't you feel special that you had owned a unique (ONLY current mass production rotary engine in the world) in your life and able to expereince the rotary engine in real life rather than reading it on the magazine?
No, you still can haz no torque the sux0r. But who need torque when you have so much rev to go, while all the crazy torque in the world won't help you turn better. Also, the Rx8 is German in its soul - the rotary engine is, afterall, developed by a guy who got no engineering degree from the Deutschland. He got a dream when he was 17 about driving ladies to concernt in a car powered by some rotating mass....and then he made one after 20 years or so. A wanker dream comes true indeed.

If Honda is about power of dreams, then Mazda is about realizing the vision and going it all alone against the rest of the world while having fun doing it.
I do not understand why TCL hate this car so much yet loving the miata. Regardless, I don't give a damn anyway, you can all jerk off on the nice interior while i will be riding my wankel engine...

Zoom Zoom for the mathafackin WIN.
Quote »

Jay Leno:
Then recently I got my third Mazda: the RX-8. I’d picked the RX-8 as the best-handling car for Road & Track. The magazine did the 10 best cars for under whatever price, and that was my choice.
I thought it had the best gearbox. I thought it was the lightest on its feet. You had to work the engine to make it go – it didn’t have all kinds of torque – but it was a great deal of pleasure running it up to 9500rpm and just tapping the gearlever and it all seemed very linear. I just liked the way it felt.
The rotary motor fascinates me because it’s really the only new engine of the 20th century. Mazda perfected it and made it popular and I like the fact that the company sticks with it. It doesn’t have as good fuel consumption as the conventional internal combustion engine, but the reliability seems to be there. People say they burn oil but mine doesn’t. Putting half a pint of oil in every 1,000 miles doesn’t seem excessive to me. If you’re an enthusiast and you like your car, that doesn’t seem crazy.
I also like the design of Mazdas. I like the RX-8 because, whether you love it or hate it, at least it doesn’t look like any other car on the road. When I was a kid growing up in America you could tell by a rear tail light, by a rear quarter-panel or a front quarter-panel, whether you were looking at a Ford or a Chrysler or a Chevy. Everything was distinctive.
Nowadays there’s a line of cars from Buick and Chevrolet that all kind of look the same. The Lexus, the Infiniti, these cars kind of look the same. The RX-8 looks different and I like the original thinking. I like the rear quarter-door that opens. It looks like a two-door but it’s really a four-door. I like the haunches on the fenders. When I see one on the road I immediately identify it.

Quote »

Facts about the RX8 brought to you by TrueBlueTitan
The RX-8 has an aluminum hood that incorporates “Shock Cone” technology to minimize head injuries in the event of an accident with a pedestrian
The RX-8 power steering is electric instead of the old style hydraulic systems
The RX-8 has a return-less fuel system. This means warm fuel isn’t returned to the tank and fuel evaporation is reduced.
The RX-8 actually holds approximately 7 quarts of oil, but when you change the oil only 4 quarts are drained and replaced. This is because the oil cooler(s) are not drained when you drain the oil pan, and why a 3,000 mile interval between changes is really beneficial, since you never really have completely fresh oil.
The RX-8 has an electric power steering system. If your RX-8 engine stalls for whatever reason (i.e. run out of fuel) then the electric power steering continues to operate allowing you to steer safely to the side of the road.
The front seatbelts can be buckled into the rear seatbelt clasp but cannot be unclasped. DO NOT DO THIS.
The hood and rear doors of the RX-8 are aluminum. Additionally, they aren’t welded together but instead joined via friction.
The combustion chamber is covered with a resin coating to improve the initial engine break-in.
The E shaft has a bypass valve that opens when the oil is cold to allow cold oil to bypass the rotors and help reduce the engine warm-up period.
RX8’s already have the seat heater wiring in place in the center console, even if you don’t have leather seats or seat heaters.
The RX-8’s fuel tanks contain two roll-over valves that close and stop your charcoal canister from being contaminated with fuel in the unlikely event of an RX-8 rollover.
The glove compartment light is on all the time while your headlights are on.
It is possible to disable the TCS/DSC completely on an RX-8 by pressing and holding the DSC switch until both indicator lights illuminate.
The RENESIS rotary engine utilizes a metered oil pump to inject a small amount of oil onto the apex seals of each rotor to keep them lubricated and reduce failure.
The RX-8 Tire Pressure Monitor System has both a low pressure and a high pressure setting.
The high frequency sound you hear under the hood when the key is on but the engine is off is the electric throttle actuator pushing the throttle butterfly toward closed, waiting for you to start the engine.
Every time you first start driving the RX-8 there is an audible “thump” heard from the car. That is the ABS braking system performing a self-test.
The M/T RX-8 has a carbon fiber drive shaft while the A/T RX-8 employs a steel drive shaft.
The spare tire is not standard in US.
Not tightening your gas cap correctly after fueling will cause a CEL (Check Engine Light).
The Shinka has water-repellent front glass, front door windows and door mirrors.
Using the factory supplied tire sealant as a repair requires the replacement of the tire.
The RX-8 clutch pedal height is adjustable.
There is an audible “shift-alert” tone when your car reaches 8,500 RPMs.
Chassis Dyno-ing an RX-8 will make the ABS/DSC system think it has a malfunction and give you a CEL. However, if you shut off the DCS and TCS you can dyno the car without causing a CEL or DTC. Additionally, the dealership technicians can tell if you’ve set the DSC/TC to “full off” mode because doing it stores a fault code.
The RX-8’s automatic headlight adjusters, for the HID equipped cars, sensor is on the REAR sway bar, which is why a lot of folks complain about headlight aim after they install lowering springs.
The catalytic converters contain Platinum and that’s why they’re so expensive to replace.
The stainless steel exhaust systems grow in length by about an inch when they are up to temperature.
It is possible to listen to sounds coming from each individual speaker of your car, in a prescribed order. With the radio on, Press the power button and AUTO-M at the same time for 1 s. The speakers will then sound in the following order: Front passenger side speaker and tweeter, drivers side Front speaker and tweeter, drivers side rear speaker, and finally passenger side rear speaker.
The early RX-8’s had black windshield (windscreen) washer tanks, and later ones had opaque white so you can see contents without taking cap off.
All the instrument cluster warning and indicator lights are LED’s.
The 18″ (non-bright finish) OEM alloy wheels are painted and clear coated.
The RX-8 has drive-by-wire. There is no accelerator cable. The accelerator pedal sensor is a dual sensor that outputs to the PCM dependant on pedal position. Each sensor is a backup to the other if one fails. The PCM outputs to the throttle body which also has dual sensors.
The MAZDA RX-8 has a 5-Star roll over rating from the NHTSA. The RX-8 was the only auto in the US that got the 5-star rating.
The rear brake rotors have 60 vents, while the front rotors on a base model have 52 vents and the sport package front rotors have 54 vents.
Additionally, the front disks on the sport package equipped RX-8 are the largest ever offered on a MAZDA production car.
The Power train Control Module (PCM) carries out a full sixty step test of the Metering Oil Pump (MOP) every twelfth time the engine is turned off.
“Zoom-Zoom-Zoom” is from a 1994 soundtrack CD “Only The Strong” & was written by a guy named Kao Rossman, performed by Serapis Bey.
The roof on the RX-8 has structural members that are constructed of nitride treated steel? Nitriding fuses titanium to the steel with nitrogen through heat. This produces a very strong, yet lighter weight (2.2 lbs less than ordinary steel) roof and contributes to better handling.
The SHINKA edition RX8 has foam filled suspension members to further improve the handling without increasing the weight.
The RX-8 employs mode control panels which are 2 circular depressions in the floor panels. These two circles vibrate alternately creating “waves” which cancel each other out and reduce noise and vibration in the cabin.
At about 13,000rpm harmonic vibrations will destroy a RENESIS, but it could theoretically live its entire, long life just shy of that.
There are four side seals in the RENESIS rotor. A keystone to scrape carbon buildup from exhaust gases, a cut-off seal to eliminate blow-by between intake and exhaust ports, and twin oil seals to well, you know, keep the oil where it needs to be.
There is a Seat Track Position Sensor that tells the onboard airbag system what position your seat is in.
There is also an airbag sensor in the front seatbelt buckles to tell the system that your seatbelt is unfastened.
The 4 speed AT has larger secondary fuel injectors than the 6 speed manual.
The clock on the NAV system is nearly perfectly accurate thanks to GPS.
The carbon fiber drive shaft is protected from damage by shields and the connector pipe of the exhaust system.
The Automatic Level Controls for the radio incorporate a microphone that was tuned to “listen” to the sounds your car makes while ignoring sounds of other vehicles in order to automatically adjust volume appropriately.
The trunk lip spoiler is required in Europe for fuel economy reasons.
The electric power steering management is based, like the engine AFRs, on a programmed map that takes into consideration vehicle speed, steering input torque and engine speed.
The RX-8 steering wheel has a magnesium core to save weight.
As the rotors rotate the apex seals are actually sucked away from the rotor housing and therefore a spring is needed to keep the seals planted against the trochoid chamber walls.
The rear differential doesn’t use clutch disks like normal LSD’s do? Instead it uses a complex series of gears to allow the wheels to rotate at slightly different speeds, but still lock under given conditions.
The fender vents are not just for show, but do indeed help to vent hot air from the engine bay.
The RX-8 employs a first ever multi-link rear suspension for a MAZDA production sports car.
Each Renesis engine is hand-built (assembled) from start to finish by a single person.
The RENESIS name stands for Rotary Engine Genesis … But also for Rotary Engine for the New age with Exhaust on the Side and Intake on the Side.
P.S by Kafka
The Rx-8 is categorized as a FOUR DOOR sedan for most auto insurance company.

Modified by Kafka at 4:58 PM 7-10-2008

·
Registered
39,636 Posts
Re: Rx8 : You either get it or you dont. (masa8888)

Quote, originally posted by masa8888 »
So 13k off MSRP is what, 18 or 19k out the door?

Or even less, assuming you can find an '07 with the options you want. Many of the leftovers are GT models (heaviest/most expensive) with the 6-speed auto (least powerful engine, autotragic).

·
Registered
83,604 Posts
Re: Rx8 : You either get it or you dont. (Kafka)

Quote »

The RX-8 has an electric power steering system. If your RX-8 engine stalls for whatever reason (i.e. run out of fuel) then the electric power steering continues to operate allowing you to steer safely to the side of the road.

My power steering actually shut off one morning in the middle of steering across traffic. I made it but it was a very scary moment. It never happened again, but one time is enough to cause issue. But this is a problem with all electrical power steering systems on cars since they don't have redundancy systems like airplanes.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Re: Rx8 : You either get it or you dont. (BRealistic)

Oh, I sure 'get it'
Just didn't 'get one'
I still 'love 'em' though!

·
Registered
39,636 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BRealistic »

My power steering actually shut off one morning in the middle of steering across traffic. I made it but it was a very scary moment. It never happened again, but one time is enough to cause issue. But this is a problem with all electrical power steering systems on cars since they don't have redundancy systems like airplanes.

Loose connection maybe?

·
Registered
83,604 Posts
Re: Rx8 : You either get it or you dont. (PassSedanGLX)

Quote, originally posted by PassSedanGLX »

Loose connection maybe?

The error light for the steering came on. I turned off the car and restarted (after getting out of traffic)- and it was fine. The dealer could not find an issue (of course). I told them if it happened again and they were unable then to find an issue- I would be speaking with my lawyer. (Yes- I was that pissed off) A complete and unexpected loss off power steering can easily cause a crash. And before somebody says something- I actually have owned several vehicles with manual steering over the years, including a nose heavy 73 F-100 with wide tires. But manual steering and power steering without power are two completely different things.
And FWIW- I love driving may car. But this list just sounds like marketing crapola. It seems like many items on the list of RX8 "Special" items really aren't that unusual.

Modified by BRealistic at 1:00 PM 7/10/2008

·
Registered
12,589 Posts
Re: Rx8 : You either get it or you dont. (Kafka)

Quote, originally posted by Kafka »
I bought a 2007 new car with 13k off MSRP last week.

I love it at that price. Still, I wish it had more power and the Mazdaspeed front bumper stock from the factory.

·
Registered
17,649 Posts
Quote »
The front seatbelts can be buckled into the rear seatbelt clasp but cannot be unclasped. DO NOT DO THIS.

Made me laugh.

I love the RX8, but I'm also hung up on fuel economy.
Always have been, always will be.

·
Registered
23,253 Posts

Those are some really cool facts... and if I could get at $20k brand new. I would probably buy one.
And seeing them at the GT races spit fire is a sight to see!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
39,636 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BRealistic »
And FWIW- I love driving may car. But this list just sounds like marketing crapola. It seems like many items on the list of RX8 "Special" items really aren't that unusual.

Some of that stuff is fairly exotic in its price range though. How many ~$25k new cars in 2004 had a standard aluminum hood, for instance? Carbon fiber driveshafts? Hell, standard LSD?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

Quote, originally posted by PassSedanGLX »

Some of that stuff is fairly exotic in its price range though. How many ~$25k new cars in 2004 had a standard aluminum hood, for instance? Carbon fiber driveshafts? Hell, standard LSD?

You got that right. And Mazda does LOVE them some standard issue LSD.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Quote »
The RX-8’s fuel tanks contain two roll-over valves that close and stop your charcoal canister from being contaminated with fuel in the unlikely event of an RX-8 rollover.

I just rolled my RX-8, but at least the
charcoal canister is safe.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
A few things i didnt know about the RX-8
if you shut off the DCS and TCS you can dyno the car without causing a CEL or DTC. Additionally, the dealership technicians can tell if you’ve set the DSC/TC to “full off” mode because doing it stores a fault code.
Haha, wow, that is funny. Altho, none of the techs ever said anythin to me about turning my DSC/TC off.
It is possible to listen to sounds coming from each individual speaker of your car, in a prescribed order. With the radio on, Press the power button and AUTO-M at the same time for 1 s. The speakers will then sound in the following order: Front passenger side speaker and tweeter, drivers side Front speaker and tweeter, drivers side rear speaker, and finally passenger side rear speaker.
I'm going to have to try this out.
There are some other facts in there that were interesting and never came across of.
But i will agree, that if you can overlook the fuel economy aspect (18MPG), not really bad IMO......and know that the car has a hand built engine and handles amazin out of the box without any mods........this is one pretty unique car, stylistically and mechanically.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Re: Rx8 : You either get it or you dont. (danny_16v)

lots of cool RX8 info in here. Lots of power steering overreaction.
I've lost power steering. I've had blowouts, blowouts are worse.
Cars came without power steering before, the only 3 wheel car I can think up right now that is as unstable as a car with a blowout is a Reliant Robin.
Grow a muscle, if no power steering causes a crash, you've got some other distraction taking up way too much of your time...
sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
39,636 Posts
Re: (02Jetta)

Quote, originally posted by 02Jetta »
Haha, wow, that is funny. Altho, none of the techs ever said anythin to me about turning my DSC/TC off.

Were you shutting it off completely? I.E., holding the button down for 7 seconds (or whatever it is) with the ignition off, and then turning it on?
Honestly, I doubt most of the shops care either way. I turn it off in both cars sometimes if it's dry and I'm hitting the back roads.

1 - 20 of 452 Posts