VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm a crossover from the MKIV VW forums, My pops drives a b5 s4 avant. So here's whats up;
So my Dad was just going out somewhere, and as he was backing down our driveway, he said the car made a weird clunk and lurched backwards. He said it went fine after that, so he kept driving, he got down our road a little ways, went to hit second gear and said it wouldn't come out of 1st, so he pulled it out and then it wouldn't go into second. If the car wasn't running it would go into first, I started the car, let out on the clutch and it moved fine. The pedal felt funny and it made a little noise, but it worked. so I tried it again, this time when I started the car with the clutch in the car wanted to move, so I shut the car off. Ok, one more time, I started the car in gear, le tout on the clutch it moved fine, everythign was good. I drove it to the end of our road, turned around, came back up the road. Now the car would shift fine, go into reverse, back up everything was good. Took it for a little drive around our road, thing drove fine. The pedal feels funny, makes a lot of noise when it shifts, but still drives fine.
Any ideas? clutch out of adjustment? clutch on its way out?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Re: S4 clutch question. (Trevis)

well thier are no clutch adjustments its a self adjusting clutch so when it goes it goes. Does the car make noises at idle in nuetral with foot off the clutch.
If so i would suspect the throughout bearing to be bad. if ur having problems with just one gear i would say syncro. or if having issue with all gears the clutch.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, theres no noises at idle so it's not the through out. I have a feeling it is the clutch so I'll check it out this week sometime. I can hold my own when it comes to this stuff but I just wanted a second oppinion before I go ripping the tranny out of this thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts