VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now i can spend around 35, i have my heart set on the 2.7 s4 tt for a coupel of months...... I've been thinking about reliablity... could i drive the s4 everyday without problems with some mods.....and thats when i think about getin a new a4 3.0..its a bran-new gen and engine..so there gonna be problems..there are always problems in new generations...comments.....need help.....ahhhh

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Re: S4 or a new A4 3.0 (IeatRice)

I'd take the S4, my dad's got the 2.7t in his A6 and got it chipped...mmm...sweet, I must say...I g-teched it at around 5.3 0-60...not too shabby imo...Anyway, its also been very reliable...As long as the S4 doesn't look too used, I'd say go s4!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]could i drive the s4 everyday without problems with some mods [HR][/HR]​
i drive my car everyday.....the only problem ive had so far was the water pump. but im pretty sure that wasnt from any mods
other than that its been completely flawless. now im gonna sit back and wait for everyone to say that all the 2000 model year turbos fail

·
Registered
3,564 Posts

S4

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Re: S4 or a new A4 3.0 (vedubya)

I drive the hell out of my car everyday, speeds right up to 110 or higher. I've had one thing fail, windshield washer reservoir.
Oh yeah, don't buy a 200 though

·
Registered
11,304 Posts

new 3.0, i have one so i have a biased opinion cuz i think the car is awesome

·
Registered
2,808 Posts

I've owned both. Get the S4. The 3.0L A4 is a great car but I prefer the slighty smaller dimensions of the S4.

·
Registered
11,304 Posts
Re: S4 or a new A4 3.0 (fitch)

my only concern with the S4 would be the turbos and people
around.
imo i would rather a new car

·
Banned
2,136 Posts

3.0L. And it would be relatively easy to make it looks like a 2004 S4 (exterior).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: S4 or a new A4 3.0 (USER)

S4! It should still be under warranty for a little while. During that period, you can get a good guage on how that particular one will do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: S4 or a new A4 3.0 (USER)

quote:[HR][/HR]3.0L. And it would be relatively easy to make it looks like a 2004 S4 (exterior).
[HR][/HR]​
LAMEEEE, u got 10 lame points.....well ne ways...i always care more about the engine...
ne ways...what are the first mods i should do to the s4 without voiding the warrenty.. i'm playing to get a shortshifter, dirverter vavlues and a new bi pipe since these are the most common areas where ppl have problems

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Re: S4 or a new A4 3.0 (S4inSoFla)

Hey, S4inSoFla, nice 1/4 mile time in your S4!! Any mods or is that all driver? (None of the magazines I've read went that quick).

·
Registered
25,371 Posts
depends if you like new car smell

There is something to be said about breaking in a new car yourself. I'm sure the 2001 S4 is a fine ride but I still prefer the new car smell. Plus new cars have lower financing rates and longer warranty period (4 years free maintenace woo hoo!) so I guess it is really up to you if the extra performance of the S4 is worth the extra out of pocket costs compare to leasing/buying a new A4.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

I am in a similar situation. I am going to look at a low mileage A6, 6-speed, 2.7t, sport package this weekend. I also want an A4 3.0 fully loaded because it is brand new. They are similar in pricing but I could always upgrade the A6 with a chip and be happy. The A4 would need more than that. I am going to test drive both and see what happens.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Get a used S4 from an Audi dealer Audi assured

I did this last October...I found a barely used 2001.5 S4 with only 9K miles on it for only $34K at my local dealer! The Audi assured warranty (2 year limited) does not start until the factory warranty ends, so I basically have a warrantied car until 2007!

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Re: S4 or a new A4 3.0 (DrPassat)

quote:[HR][/HR]Hey, S4inSoFla, nice 1/4 mile time in your S4!! Any mods or is that all driver? (None of the magazines I've read went that quick).[HR][/HR]​
It's funny that you like my 1/4 mile time, I get slammed for it half the time ("what do you know, your 1/4 mile time sucks anyway!"). With the stuff I've got (MTM ecu, Borla) it really should be in the 13s. That was a first time for me, I'm going to give it another crack here in a few weeks.

[Modified by S4inSoFla, 1:35 PM 3-20-2003]

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Re: S4 or a new A4 3.0 (S4inSoFla)

quote:[HR][/HR]
It's funny that you like my 1/4 mile time, I get slammed for it half the time ("what do you know, your 1/4 mile time sucks anyway!"). With the stuff I've got (MTM ecu, Borla) it really should be in the 13s. That was a first time for me, I'm going to give it another crack here in a few weeks.
[Modified by S4inSoFla, 1:35 PM 3-20-2003][HR][/HR]​
Yeah, you should definintely be faster than that...especially in FL since you're at sea level. I miss living down there. Looking at your time, it looks like you might have had a boost leak at the time. Reason I say that is cause that's stock 6 speed time. Nice 70 degree night, you should be able to run atleast a 13.6 @ 101-102....

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Re: S4 or a new A4 3.0 (4DR Assassin)

quote:[HR][/HR]Yeah, you should definintely be faster than that...[HR][/HR]​
Dayummm, more haters. I'm just kidding, truth is I'm not really concerned about 1/4 mile times. I put it in my sig just because I enjoy the abuse. I'm getting a boost gauge installed next week so we'll find out if I'm missing boost or not.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts