VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
13,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently helping a friend find a nice used car, and we found a '94 Saab 900 SE V6 5spd. 77,000 miles, leather, heated seats, alloys, moonroof, etc...and the car is in tip-top shape at a dealership. It's pretty apparent that the car was kept clean and not detailed to be clean (I'm a car detailer and can tell the difference). Everything works, the car rides and drives well, and all body panels/paint appear to be original. Dealer is asking 7995, but it can probably be bought for around 6800. Any opinions? I know the V6 was short lived, but why is that?

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Re: Saab 900 V6-opinions? (JrodVW)

The V6 has a serious issue with timing belts. The engine was originally designed to have a 90,000 mile interval for belt changes. However, the pulleys don't quite line up and the belt has to be changed every 35,000 miles. Saab will pay for the changes at 35K and 70K. After that, you are on your own.
I had one. Loved the car. I was on my second belt when it failed with only 28,000 miles on it. I was still under warranty so the repair only cost me $150. The total bill was $4600 (the dealer replaced both heads).
If you really like the car, buy an extended warranty. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.