VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I had to ask....
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that SAAB deserves its own thread for the amazing fighter jets and other military airplanes they make/made. Easily one of the best in the world and very reasonably priced.

SAAB 17 (bomber/dive-bomber: manufactured 1941–1944, 323 built)

SAAB 18 (twin-engine bomber and reconnaissance aircraft: manufactured 1944–1948, 245 built)

SAAB 21 (twin-boom push-prop fighter/attack aircraft: manufactured 1945–1949, 298 built)

SAAB 21R (jet-powered version of Saab 21: manufactured 1950–1952, 64 built)

SAAB 29 Tunnan (first purpose-built jet fighter: manufactured 1950–1956, 661 built)

SAAB 32 Lansen (attack aircraft: manufactured 1953–1959, 450 built)

SAAB 35 Draken (fighter: manufactured 1955–1974, 644 built)

SAAB 37 Viggen (fighter/attack/reconnaissance aircraft: manufactured 1970–1990, 329 built)

SAAB 39 Gripen (multirole fighter: introduced 1996, 219 built as of 2010)

Info on years and number built taken from wiki.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I love Saabs. Favorites are the Gripen, Draken, and the prop 21. Built models of many in the old days. We don't get to see many in the U.S., so I enjoyed seeing a Lansen, Viggen, and Draken at the Musee de l'Air. I have a book on them somewhere and will try to post pix.

·
I had to ask....
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love Saabs. Favorites are the Gripen, Draken, and the prop 21. Built models of many in the old days. We don't get to see many in the U.S., so I enjoyed seeing a Lansen, Viggen, and Draken at the Musee de l'Air. I have a book on them somewhere and will try to post pix.
That would be awesome if you could get some pics of yours. I never got to see any of them myself, but they are truly beautiful. Viggen was so cool they even named a 93 after it :D.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Pulled the book- The Saab-Scania Story, looks corporate, maybe for an anniversary (it mentions 50 years of Saab and 100 of Scania.) Lots of pictures, relatively low rez. Some nice cutaways. I'll try to scan stuff tomorrow, and look for my photos.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
The Lansen and the Draken are cool looking birds.
There are some less-cool, more-practical Saabs too.

The '105 trainer:

The '340 airliner:

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Here are my shots of the Saabs at the Musee De L'Air, Le Bourget, Paris, October 2012. I had never seen Saabs in person before, so this was a very pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
A few Saab projects:

114 trainer, never built.

SSE (Supersonic Executive,) based on Viggen?

210, testbed for Draken wing design:

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Scans from the book "The Saab Scania Story." Very nice book, low-rez photos, some crossing over pages so they could not be scanned.

J21 and a Saab 92 (I think.)

Family photo, 1990s.

Draken pass at site of a new factory.

Cool shot, crummy image: Draken, Viggen, Lansen, 105.

·
I had to ask....
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome, I really appreciate the contribution :). I think that Saab was always underappreciated as an aircraft manufacturer. Some people unfortunately can't or don't want to see anything other than an F35 which isn't all that perfect as no aircraft is. I'm glad that Saab still makes aircrafts though, aand hope that one day they will give cars a try once more.

·
Registered
2018 Atlas R-Line; 2019 330xi M-Sport
32,645 Posts
I was driving in Ashburn, VA a few weeks ago and saw a huge SAAB sign in this little industrial complex... Completely caught me off guard.u

Turns out it's one of their Defense/Security offices. :laugh:

*edited for clarification

1 - 13 of 13 Posts