VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
E46 330ci coupe
27,612 Posts
Ummm...yikes.

While this guy is certainly able to design well, let's hope the Mantide isn't what happens when he's set free. Let's also hope Saab isn't going to set him loose on their cars.

The Mantide and P4/5 are eerily similar in their design offenses. This move could be great, or greatly disappointing.

· Registered
24,124 Posts
Interesting, certainly... though I'm not a fan of either the P4/5 or the Bertone Mantide... but they're definitely "different."

· Registered
172 Posts
Ummm...yikes.

While this guy is certainly able to design well, let's hope the Mantide isn't what happens when he's set free. Let's also hope Saab isn't going to set him loose on their cars.

The Mantide and P4/5 are eerily similar in their design offenses. This move could be great, or greatly disappointing.
I agree. The gran turismo is a disappointment in my opinion, and the p4 and mantide look to be designed by a 5 year old. The 599 is the best of the four mentioned, but I don't think it came close to living up to the elegance of the 550, and that makes sense considering the other designs associated with Castriota.

· Registered
3,599 Posts
I agree. The gran turismo is a disappointment in my opinion, and the p4 and mantide look to be designed by a 5 year old. The 599 is the best of the four mentioned, but I don't think it came close to living up to the elegance of the 550, and that makes sense considering the other designs associated with Castriota.
Supercars need to look like there were designed by five year olds.

The "over the top" is what makes them so great.

The simple, curvy, cokebottle fastback coupe has been done 1000 times over and over again. Do we really need another one?

That's why I think the Mantide is pure win and cars like the Alfa 8C that look like the same shape I've seen over and over again are just boring looking.

· Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
25,331 Posts
His extreme modernism combined with Saab's desire to evoke their glory years could be interesting...in a good way.:thumbup:
Agreed. I think manufacturing costs will keep outrageous designs like the Bertone Mantide off the table. That said, I have high hopes for something fresh and distinctive. I've never been a Saab fan, but I'm keeping an open mind for future products.

· Registered
6,437 Posts
This should satisfy anyone who thinks Saab needs to get more eccentric again.

I hope they're willing to take risks - some people hated the Audi horse-collar grille, BMW Bangle-vision, and Lexus-chintz, but it's hard to say those approaches weren't worth the risk.

· Registered
5,194 Posts
I'm anxious to see what he can come up with. I haven't really seen a huge volume of his work, so I can't say whether I think it'll work or not, but let's hope this works out well for Saab.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.