VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday the love of my life calls me in hysterics, and from what I was able to make out, she was hit by a tractor trailer. It appears the driver was in cardiac arrest and was later pronounced dead at the scene. A total of 8 cars were involved, but she took the initial hit.

I am simply blown away that this car absorbed this hit.
A few questions if I may......do you think this car will be deemed a total loss. And, we had the car leased, the lease was from 02/08-02/11. If it is a loss, can anyone speculate how that will play out with pay out for insurance, etc? Thanks for any help and or guidance.
edit.....I know the picture isn't working, will get it up soon

Modified by GTIScottie at 12:03 PM 7-9-2009

Modified by GTIScottie at 12:13 PM 7-9-2009

Modified by GTIScottie at 12:18 PM 7-9-2009

·
Registered
894 Posts
Re: Safe really happened (GTIScottie)

Wow glad to hear the wife is ok. Thats a crazy impact there, so weird seeing the front in such good condition but the rear in shambles
Car is definitely a total loss. Not sure about the payout or how lease is handled.

Modified by Jovian at 3:23 PM 7-9-2009

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Safe really happened (Jovian)

Quote, originally posted by Jovian »
Wow glad to hear the wife is ok. Thats a crazy impact there, so weird seeing the front in such good condition but the rear in shambles

And the even more amazing thing is, she hit what I believe was an Olds 88 and it destroyed it's back end.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (minustheGTI)

Quote, originally posted by minustheGTI »
glad she was ok......look s like the car did what it was supposed to..

That's exactly what the guy told me at the salvage yard.

·
Registered
11,104 Posts
Re: (GTIScottie)

Man, I sure would rather be in a Jetta than a Civic in that case.

Glad she's OK. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
That's definitely a total loss. Assuming you leased through VWC you have GAP insurance included in your lease. So if for some reason the insurance company pays out less than you owe, GAP will make up for it. You should walk away squeaky clean from that car. However you will lose any down payment you put on it, (which is why putting money down on a lease is a bad idea) as GAP only protects you from owing the finance company. Basically you'll be starting over.

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
20,003 Posts
Re: (GTIScottie)

http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif for the situation
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif for the end result (minus the dead trucker
)
I would imagine your insurance will pay you out for the value of the vehicle, just try and make sure that amount is more than what is owing on your current lease.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Re: (bcze1)

wow glad that your wife walked away with only minor injuries.
Its amazing how well the car took that hit

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (bcze1)

Quote, originally posted by bcze1 »
Man, I sure would rather be in a Jetta than a Civic in that case.

Glad she's OK. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
That's definitely a total loss. Assuming you leased through VWC you have GAP insurance included in your lease. So if for some reason the insurance company pays out less than you owe, GAP will make up for it. You should walk away squeaky clean from that car. However you will lose any down payment you put on it, (which is why putting money down on a lease is a bad idea) as GAP only protects you from owing the finance company. Basically you'll be starting over.

Thanks for your insight. Do you think the insurance will pay us the blue book value? Are we only responsible to VW for the amount left on the lease or the total cost of the vehicle?

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Re: Safe really happened (Jovian)

Quote, originally posted by Jovian »

You can see that the rear impact completely missed the bumper and just sheared everything above it off. The front collision probably was a bit more evenly match as far as height goes.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
FV-QR

wow, that's pretty serious. i'm sure they will call that car a loss. They will try to determine the value of the car versus how much to repair it. In the US, i've seen some much less damaged cars totalled. In either case, i would fight if need be, to get the car written off. It would never be 100% again (speaking from experience).
I am in Canada and have had 2 friends with their mkv jettas written off. One was theft and the other an accident and both leased. the one that got in the accident, their insurance wrote them a cheque for the amount that volkswagen would take to finish the lease and buy it out in the end. In the end, VW wrote them back a cheque for the taxes that were over paid by insurance (or something along those lines) and they ended up with almsot $5k back. The guy with the car stolen, the insurance paid vw and then vw cut a cheque, basically the same thing as the first guy and he walked away with $4k + the money insurance paid him out for the extra parts on the car.
I wouldn't get your hopes up, but if you were in canada and this happened, you would end up with some money in your pocket most likely.
Glad to hear your wife is ok. that would make my heart sink into my stomach if i got that call.
good luck in all of this http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.