VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LastMartian's Project Thread!

So I bought this here Rocco last fall, because I had $500 burning a hole in my pocket. I was sooo happy

I filled up the tank, only to discover that it was leaking. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif So after two weeks, and much pain and aggravation, I got a replacement in.

When I was reinstalling the tank, i managed to crimp the line out of the external pump, so it would not start.
Took me about a week to figure that one out.

Yeah, i had it running, so i took it on a victory lap around town. And it starts buzzing the oil pressure light. I get it home just in time for it to sieze up. Bam. Dead.
Then it starts to snow...

So here I am, it's spring, and i'm back at it. I've spent the winter studying this awesome site, and drinking in the knowledge that you people bring to it. I've bought myself a 2.0L engine to replace the dead one. I've got very limited funds, a full time job with 45 minute one way commute, two kids, and I'm working my way through college. But i think I can do it, with everyones help http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

This is my story.

So now that my "garage" is thawed out, I've gotten back to work. I got both drive axels out, and pulled off the cylinder head:

Check out the coolant sprayed all over the valve cover. When I was untourquing the head bolts, a couple of them were not nearly as tight as the rest, leading me to think that improper torquing in the first place is what caused the gasket to let coolant and oil mix, and cause the engine to seize...

Here's a pic of the engine compartment before tearing it apart. Thats a 1.7L engine from a 1983 GTI. I was told that it was the cars third one. So my 2.0L will be the fourth!

Maybe tonight I can snag a pic of the compartment as it is now...
Boy, i'm really looking forward to the posting the picture of me, sitting in the empty engine bay!

Modified by LastMartian at 12:32 PM 5-22-2007

·
Registered
12,579 Posts
Wow. There are folks who pick up Scirocco's and immediately have to give them lots of TLC - you're one of them.
Of those, some perserver and have something to be proud of after a while., others give up in the face of incredible frustration. Sounds like you're going to win though http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
9,723 Posts
Re: LastMartian's Project Thread! (LastMartian)

eeeewwwww! http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
*will be watching this thread for updates*
keep up the good work. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Re: (ginster86roc)

Quote, originally posted by ginster86roc »
^that's what the 2 i owned had in them.

Don't make no neverminds now.
I'm curious to see if it is in fact a headgasket problem or if the oil cooler puked. Is there oil in the coolant bottle as well?
Maybe I missed it, you are going to run a 2.0 crossflow engine? Megasquirted?
Will be watching.
That's some..... interesting... paint you got going on there.

Brendan

·
Registered
2,711 Posts

Quote, originally posted by LastMartian »

Here's a pic of the engine compartment before tearing it apart. Thats a 1.7L engine from a 1983 GTI. I was told that it was the cars third one. So my 2.0L will be the fourth!

That's actually a 1.8JH engine if it's from an 83 GTi. There is no doubt that the head is of the 1.8 variety, noteable by the extra large oil return port that protrudes from the front of the head, and the location of the coolant flange (the earlier 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7 had the flange on the other end of the head.) http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: LastMartian's Project Thread! (Rocc it)

keep up the good work.
Thanks for the encouragement, it helps.
You guys are right, it's a JH block, I spied the code tonight while I was taking this pic:

I don't have access to an engine hoist, so i'm probably gonna drop the tranny by it's self, first, then drop the short block. I was going to lower them down one at a time with a normal hydraulic jack. Any thoughts on that?
Quote, originally posted by Lord_Verminaard »
Maybe I missed it, you are going to run a 2.0 crossflow engine? Megasquirted?

I'm gonna do this simple, and cheap. Because i want to use the existing CIS management system, I'm not going to use the cross flow head(even though I got one attached to my 2.0l engine). I got the 2.0 l because it cost the same as the 1.8... Of course I'm assuming that that GTI head is still good. I'll have it magnafluxed soon...
Quote, originally posted by Lord_Verminaard »
That's some..... interesting... paint you got going on there.

Yeah, it sucks for sure. What can i say, this car has been around the block a few times, with half a dozen different owners. This car will NEVER be as nice as ginster's, so I think I'm just gonna spray bomb it, flat black. Like this one that I really admire:

Modified by LastMartian at 9:14 PM 5-22-2007

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

While the Cincy Crew was partying it up, I was up to my elbows in axel grease. This latest installment is dedicated to those road warriors, who dared to make the trip to the great scirocco gathering.
I figured out how to get that motor out. I had some wood kicnin' around, and a tie down strap.

I managed to get the engine/tranny balanced pretty good. I only needed to push up on the rear mount with the bottle jack a little.

Once that mount was out of the way, it came down smoothly.

Then I lifted the front end up another six inches, and pulled out the engine/tranny on a piece of plywood.

Now what am I gonna do? I need to get them inside, but I don't have a two wheeler around. Well, I got out some more wood, and built a litter.

I was surprised when it actually worked.

Then after a little cleanup, it was time for that certain picture, thats required at this point of the project. Man, i've been waiting a long time for this!

Now I just gotta buy some gaskets, and start swapping components...

Modified by LastMartian at 9:19 PM 6-3-2007

·
Registered
2,343 Posts

Thanks for the encouragement, it helps.
You guys are right, it's a JH block, I spied the code tonight while I was taking this pic:

I don't have access to an engine hoist, so i'm probably gonna drop the tranny by it's self, first, then drop the short block. I was going to lower them down one at a time with a normal hydraulic jack. Any thoughts on that?

I'm gonna do this simple, and cheap. Because i want to use the existing CIS management system, I'm not going to use the cross flow head(even though I got one attached to my 2.0l engine). I got the 2.0 l because it cost the same as the 1.8... Of course I'm assuming that that GTI head is still good. I'll have it magnafluxed soon...

Yeah, it sucks for sure. What can i say, this car has been around the block a few times, with half a dozen different owners. This car will NEVER be as nice as ginster's, so I think I'm just gonna spray bomb it, flat black. Like this one that I really admire:

Modified by LastMartian at 9:14 PM 5-22-2007

someone who admires the spraybomb.

thanks dude.
didnt think anyone really liked it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: LastMartian's Project Thread! (85spraybomb)

Quote, originally posted by 85spraybomb »

someone who admires the spraybomb.

thanks dude.
didnt think anyone really liked it.

Yours has a clean solid body and glass, and fatty rims and tires. Thats my kind of ride http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Like i said, my rocco will never look as nice as ginster's.
Hey ginster, wanna trade? You could do wonders with mine

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

So, I'm getting ready to buy some gaskets here. I've heard that Germanautoparts.com is a good company to deal with. I found these kits at their site.
Engine block gaskets for the ABA bottom end:
Jetta 3, 2.0L 4 cyl, '93-99

And for the head:
Rabbit GTI, 1.8L 8V, '83-84

I looked up both sets per the cars they originally came out of.
And I'd like to replace three of the 12 inner CV joint bolts, because the heads are a bit stripped. But all I found was a complete kit:
Scirocco 16V, all '86-89

Are these gaskets gonna do the trick?
And can someone help me find some new CV bolts?

Modified by LastMartian at 11:26 AM 6-9-2007

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: LastMartian's Project Thread! (petebee)

Quote, originally posted by petebee »
McGuyver would be proud of your ingenuity

That's high praise, thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
So, would anybody care to point me to some inner CV bolts? There must be a good source for them, considering how often I "hear" complaints about them stripping.
Oh yeah, I just ordered my bently today! Only $35, new from Amazon.com! Yeah!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: LastMartian's Project Thread! (ginster86roc)

i stock the 12pts here at work.

So they must be pretty common, eh? I'll call around town then. Thanks.
How many of you replace the head bolts when you put in a new gasket? Is it really necessary?

*Going off on a tangent* The starter was attached to the block with a couple of 12 point bolts, and they were a different size than the head bolts and those that hold the axels in, so I didn't have the correct bit
. BUT, I discovered that a 3/8 allen fit perfectly, so I took 'em out with that. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Thanks!

Modified by LastMartian at 4:27 PM 6-9-2007

·
Registered
5,390 Posts

How many of you replace the head bolts when you put in a new gasket? Is it really necessary?

The head bolts should be a one time use only as they are designed to stretch once tourqued.
if you want a reliable motor replace those head bolts http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.