VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! So I was able to find a PERFECT, united gray fender at my local salvage yard, but the dumb dumbs inventoried the vehicle by writing in paint pen, sharpie or something on it. Isopropyl Alcohol won’t take it off, it seems the metal is almost dyed underneath the marker

Any ideas???
Car Snow Tire Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everything i’ve read is that paint thinner is risky and can mess up the paint if it’s left on too long. Also doesn’t solve the issue of the paint underneath the marker being dyed yellow/orange. Thanks for the passive-aggressiveness though, it’s helpful

·
Registered
2019 GTI Rabbit Cornflower Blue DSG PP LP CWP
120 Posts
Well, try washing off the fender area of grit.
Then try Napha, or lighter fluid. They are both very gentle.
As to the paint thinner, thats either mineral spirits, turpentine.
Lacquer Thinner is also a possibility.
Goo Off?
Keep in mind, your wiping off the affected areas, not soaking for ten minutes.
I have used lacquer thinner to remove small bits of tar, etc, but very gently!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything i’ve read is that paint thinner is risky and can mess up the paint if it’s left on too long. Also doesn’t solve the issue of the paint underneath the marker being dyed yellow/orange. Thanks for the passive-aggressiveness though, it’s helpful
Well, try washing off the fender area of grit.
Then try Napha, or lighter fluid. They are both very gentle.
As to the paint thinner, thats either mineral spirits, turpentine.
Lacquer Thinner is also a possibility.
Goo Off?
Keep in mind, your wiping off the affected areas, not soaking for ten minutes.
I have used lacquer thinner to remove small bits of tar, etc, but very gently!
So, I ended up using a polish and buffing wheel, got all of the black sharpie off, all that’s left is the orange, can’t think of what to do besides return it.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grey Road surface

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Road surface Asphalt

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I sprayed it, it wiped right off on a microfiber with zero effort. Didn’t damage the clear either. Use the brand specifically
Are you talking about the orange or the black? The black came off with rubbing compound no problem, the orange seems to have penetrated the clear coat almost

·
Registered
11,937 Posts
Brake cleaner ... do it quickly, and wax it after. If that doesn't do it - Even if you have to get this sorted out by a local body shop, and even if they have to lightly buff or sand the clearcoat to get that paint off (I doubt it), you are still ahead of the game by having the base-coat the right colour - even if they have to re-clearcoat it.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Hey! So I was able to find a PERFECT, united gray fender at my local salvage yard, but the dumb dumbs inventoried the vehicle by writing in paint pen, sharpie or something on it. Isopropyl Alcohol won’t take it off, it seems the metal is almost dyed underneath the marker

Any ideas??? View attachment 141736
llcv:

Did you think about having it repainted? Not trying to be a "smartass." Don't know what area/state you live in but shouldn't cost that much to have it resprayed/cleared. Just saying...Or maybe you don't want to go that route. Just threw it out there since no one mentioned it. Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
llcv:

Did you think about having it repainted? Not trying to be a "smartass." Don't know what area/state you live in but shouldn't cost that much to have it resprayed/cleared. Just saying...Or maybe you don't want to go that route. Just threw it out there since no one mentioned it. Hope it works out for you.
I thought about it, but it would be atleast $100 and I might as well paint the one i’ve already got that’s sage green if I was to go that way. Appreciate the suggestion, but I ideally want to avoid having one painted.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Any ideas???
You will never get it permanently off. The ink used in the marker penetrates the clearcoat. The idiots there think everybody buying a body part will get it painted so they don't care.

Did you think about having it repainted? Not trying to be a "smartass." Don't know what area/state you live in but shouldn't cost that much to have it resprayed/cleared.
Don't know what he paid but might as well buy a new fender for $50 if you're getting it painted. That's going to cost at least $200 at a bodyshop for a new fender. The used one they will charge another $50 to prep it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You will never get it permanently off. The ink used in the marker penetrates the clearcoat. The idiots there think everybody buying a body part will get it painted so they don't care.

Don't know what he paid but might as well buy a new fender for $50 if you're getting it painted. That's going to cost at least $200 at a bodyshop for a new fender. The used one they will charge another $50 to prep it.
My thoughts exactly, in terms of price you’re 100% right, I paid 75 for this one (canadian dollars), and after calling them, they said he would charge a 20$ restocking fee, even though they caused the issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, I was able to get a lot of the orange off with Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound, there are still 2 dark spots, but the majority of it came off. Unfortunately the clear coat did get a bit thin in two spots, but it’s much better than it was, and way better than paying those idiots to take the part back. Will clean and wax to protect those two spots from UV damage while I think about whether or not I want to get a spray can of clear coat to try and blend in. Thank you everyone for the suggestions.
Tire Wheel Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Body jewelry Font Rim Material property Asphalt

Automotive tire Hood Green Wood Tire

1 - 20 of 28 Posts