1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This sounds interesting....From the newswire:
Volkswagen New Beetle and Jetta to Feature SIRIUS Satellite Radio
2/13/2004 1:07:00 PM

NEW YORK and AUBURN HILLS, Mich., Feb 13, 2004 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- SIRIUS Satellite Radio (SIRI) , known for delivering the very best in commercial-free music and premium sports programming to cars and homes across the country, and Volkswagen of America today announced that SIRIUS will soon be available as a factory and dealer installed option on Volkswagen's New Beetle and Jetta.
SIRIUS will be offered as a factory and dealer option in the 2005 New Beetle coming in late summer of this year and in the 2005 all-new Jetta coming early in 2005. VW will also announce a limited edition vehicle later this year that will exclusively feature SIRIUS.
SIRIUS will provide Volkswagen drivers with 61 commercial-free music streams and 44 sports, news and entertainment streams, including live play-by-play games from the NBA, NHL, and beginning next football season, the NFL.
"We are very excited to be working with Volkswagen to offer their customers the very best in-vehicle entertainment experience possible," said Patrick Brunett, Vice President European OEM for SIRIUS. "Our premium service will fit in nicely with these two quality vehicles, and will bring tremendous pleasure to Volkswagen drivers."
"SIRIUS is obviously growing in popularity, and is becoming a 'must have' for many drivers who are looking for great commercial-free music, news, entertainment and sports," said Zafar Brooks, General Marketing Director for Volkswagen. "It is a nice fit for Volkswagen customers who are a little more independent-minded and typically list music as an important part of their lives."

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: Satellite Radio in Jetta V (AlaskaGreen)

Any idea what this "limited edition vehicle later this year" will be?

·
Registered
4,175 Posts

Quote, originally posted by AlaskaGreen »
SIRIUS will be offered as a factory and dealer option in the 2005 New Beetle coming in late summer of this year and in the 2005 all-new Jetta coming early in 2005. VW will also announce a limited edition vehicle later this year that will exclusively feature SIRIUS.

What kind of New Beetle is coming in late summer of this year? Dare we call it and MKV Bettle...updated along side the Jetta and Golf...and if so, how much will it change? Will the system be free or not?

·
Registered
63 Posts
It is coming the last edition Jetta.
It will come with all sport accesories and I think a spoiler undernead the door.
The Beetle that is coming is called New Beetle GP it has new fender, lights and its kind of mix of a Turbo S and the Beetle RSI.

·
Registered
21,613 Posts
Re: (vwvortex1)

The beetle to offer it this year is the limited edition light blue bug right? featured in the main page article?
This should come into Touaregs, Phaetons etc.

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
Re: ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
Also, the headunits will support both Sirius and XM (which of course a Sirius press release isn't going to mention).

If that is the case - it should be sporting the notorious "shark fin" antennae!
Sat Radio Receivers for the 04 Audi factory head units list for about $400 from the dealer. I bought one "used" from someone for $200 and it was simply plug and play. It's great to have it run through the factory headunit.
However - that being said - I cannot use the factory add-on six disc changer OR add Phatnoise to my system. Hopefully this won't be the case with the VW units.

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Re: (badb5)

Plug and play system's for either XM or Sirus, will be available in the up coming months. (All I can say is, bout damn time!
)

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
Re: (badb5)

Quote, originally posted by badb5 »
Sounds like it mounts where the 6 disk changer would go.

I'm not sure where it mounts on the VW's - but it's a rather small unit. The issue for our Audi's is at the headunit. We're still trying to figure out why this is the case. I'm gonna pull my headunit and check - just haven't had the change yet.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts

The jetta V lists XM SAT/RADIO PACKAGE as well as NAVIGATION SYSTEM. But I only see the sirius on the beetles in 2005.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Okay look.I'm not trying to be unbelievably thick or giddy or anything else but,why does anyone give a rat's hoo-ha about satelite radio?I mean you probably will have to pay for the head unit,maybe at least,and then you PAY these guys and you get music on your radio?WTF!?I already have great sounding music in my car...it comes from this crazy little gizmo called a cd player.Can someone please enlighten me here?I feel like I'm showing up ten years late for prom or something.

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
Ok, imagine having a 1 billion disc cd changer filled with all of your favorite types of music. Now, put it on random. Thats what satellite radio is like. CD's and MP3's are great, but they're only as good as what you are willing to pay for and keep around. With satellite radio you are exposed to many more music styles than you'd normally be exposed to. You also will hear lots of stuff from bands you may have never heard of before that you like.
Ever since I bought Sirius, I haven't played a single CD or turned on regular FM in the car and I've found dozens of new bands I'd never have normally heard before.
Worth every penny.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: Satellite Radio in Jetta V (jrdlr)

Quote, originally posted by jrdlr »
The jetta V lists XM SAT/RADIO PACKAGE as well as NAVIGATION SYSTEM. But I only see the sirius on the beetles in 2005.

Any more details?

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
Re: (vw mofo)

Quote, originally posted by vw mofo »

Ever since I bought Sirius, I haven't played a single CD or turned on regular FM in the car and I've found dozens of new bands I'd never have normally heard before.
Worth every penny.

Yup - except I have XM. I NEVER listened to the radio. Never. I was also skeptical about Sat Radio but since my 04 A4 comes with it built in to the headunit - you just need to buy the receiver, plug it in and order the service - I figured I'd give it a shot. I got the receiver used for half the price of a new one. I've had it now for about a month and I can't say how much I enjoy it. I've heard so much new music it's just incredible.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Re: (vw mofo)

Quote, originally posted by mediumbluemetalic »
What kind of New Beetle is coming in late summer of this year? Dare we call it and MKV Bettle...updated along side the Jetta and Golf...and if so, how much will it change? Will the system be free or not?

More like a Mk4.5 than a MkV. What's supposedly down the pipeline is just a facelift (a la 01.5 Passat and 04 Jetta) that evidently includes a new bodykit and possibly a refreshed interior. It's been mentioned for ages, but the details are vague.
Quote, originally posted by vw mofo »
Ok, imagine having a 1 billion disc cd changer filled with all of your favorite types of music. Now, put it on random. Thats what satellite radio is like.

I got the factory PhatBox last year, and its exactly how you describe satelite radio. I've got 20 GB of nothing but my favorite music. All I have to do is press "mix" and I've created my own personal in-car radio station. I do want to sport the sharkfin antenna on my Beetle as soon as its available, though

1 - 20 of 20 Posts