VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
17,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen Saturns new Ion Redline?

Here's the facts-
Ecotec 4 cyl. DOHC 2.0 16v
9.5:1 Compression
Roots style Supercharger making 12.5psi
Laminova Air-Water Intercooler
Wheel HP- [email protected]
Wheel [email protected]
0-60MPH in 7.1 sec.
Recaro sport seats!! Thats right, Recaros. WHY?!

Here is the ad-

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Re: Saturn Ion Redline?! (GTiG6O)

This is brand new information!

0-60 in 7.1 sounds a little slow for 197 hp, doesn't it? My heavy-ass GTI VR6 will beat that and it certainly isn't made of plastic. Why on earth would Saturn release a product that is getting its butt kicked by the competition even BEFORE it hits the showrooms?

<edit> Nevermind, I read the article. The conservative acceleration is the result of poorly chosen gear ratios and a performance stunting rev-limiter.
Okay, so WHY WOULD ANYONE BUY THIS CAR?! The guy that designed it already sounded depressed about it: "You'll like the Cobalt SS better."
The SRT-4 is MUCH quicker, has four actual doors, has a limited slip, fully independent rear suspension (no beam), a nicer interior, far larger aftermarket, comes from a legitimate factory performance division, and is arguably better looking due to its more compact size.
So err....why would Saturn even bother releasing this piece of crap?

It annoys me that there will still be some morons that will buy this thing.

Modified by Sunil at 12:35 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
7,530 Posts

Ion Redline http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Things I don't like about it:
Gauge cluster located in the middle of the dash

high stance, (just look at that wheel gap)
Styling.. looks like your average saturn.....

I do however dig the seats and the motor http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
15,228 Posts

What a waste of perfectly good seats. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
15,228 Posts
Re: Saturn Ion Redline?! (Amdek)

Quote, originally posted by Amdek »
Ion Redline http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Things I don't like about it:
Gauge cluster located in the middle of the dash

high stance, (just look at that wheel gap)
Styling.. looks like your average saturn.....

I do however dig the seats and the motor http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Hahahaha!! Didnt notice the gauge location.

·
Registered
11,026 Posts

Believe it or not, people, we *want* this car. It means good things in a few years when Saturn starts rebadging Astras or whatever. Hell, it means good things for the Cobalt SS since GMPD will have learned from their mistakes.
Sometimes I swear this place should be renamed "The Car (Basher's) Lounge".

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Re: Saturn Ion Redline?! (xdre)

Quote, originally posted by xdre »

Believe it or not, people, we *want* this car. It means good things in a few years when Saturn starts rebadging Astras or whatever. Hell, it means good things for the Cobalt SS since GMPD will have learned from their mistakes.
Sometimes I swear this place should be renamed "The Car (Basher's) Lounge".

maybe so, looking at it from my perspective though, there is absolutely nothing wrong with making personal judgments as well as critiquing new cars based not on whether I hate a certain manufacturer or not, but looking at the cars performance/price and market potential. So far everyones comments on this thread are legitimate and based on some kind of reasoning..

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
Re: Saturn Ion Redline?! (Amdek)

Quote, originally posted by Amdek »

maybe so, looking at it from my perspective though, there is absolutely nothing wrong with making personal judgments as well as critiquing new cars

So far, this thread isn't sophisticated enough to call it a critique.
(Okay, reading comprehension very poor this morning
)

Modified by xdre at 8:32 AM 5-21-2004

G

·
Re: Saturn Ion Redline?! (xdre)

Quote, originally posted by xdre »

But here's the question: considering how awful the ION is, and how the Redline isn't even much better, why aren't we getting the Astras NOW? If this is the new, lean, mean GM, then why do we have to suffer for five years with this car that would've had its ass kicked by the competition four years ago?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I actually like the exterior styling of the Ion, it's just that WRETCHED interior that turns me off. I like the idea of the redline, but I still think it's underpowered in caparison to the SRT-4. With quarter miles in the 15's, GM hasn't sent ANYONE back to the drawing boards.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts

Quote, originally posted by GTiG6O »
Okay, so WHY WOULD ANYONE BUY THIS CAR?! The guy that designed it already sounded depressed about it: "You'll like the Cobalt SS better."
The SRT-4 is MUCH quicker, has four actual doors, has a limited slip, fully independent rear suspension (no beam), a nicer interior, far larger aftermarket, comes from a legitimate factory performance division, and is arguably better looking due to its more compact size.

with dodge you dont get the prestige of the Saturn name

·
Registered
4,257 Posts

Something doesn't sound right here at all. Some of the stats that stood out to me:
Measured Wheel HP: 197 hp
Claimed Crank HP: 200 hp
Curb Weight: 2,960 lbs
0 - 60 mph: 7.1 sec
This car should not be that slow, but I also don't know how this car is putting the same power to the wheels as it is at the crank. hmmmmm?

·
Registered
10,076 Posts
Re: (rbloedow)

I am sorry, but GM seems to have learned nothing from their mistakes of the '80's. They introduce a brand new car (Ion), that is substandard right out of the box. Even the performance variant was put together with compromises with the engineers and marketing people singing that familiar tune, "Wait until next year, we will get it right then."
GM should be getting it right the first time instead of leaving disappointed buyers. Disappointed the first time because they are being sold a faulty bill of goods, and then a second time when the car is fixed the following year leaving the early adopters regretting their decision and cursing GM.
It wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't already a class leader (SRT-4) doing all the right things from the start. Sure the SRT-4 got more power and a limited-slip the second year, but even before that it dominated everything in the class.
Ok, I feel better now.

Modified by VeeDubDriver at 11:45 AM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
Re: Saturn Ion Redline?! (bgluckman)

Quote, originally posted by bgluckman »
But here's the question: considering how awful the ION is, and how the Redline isn't even much better, why aren't we getting the Astras NOW?

Ever wish you had a direct number for Maximum Bob?

·
Registered
22,172 Posts
Re: Saturn Ion Redline?! (bgluckman)

Pride.
Opel hates NAO platform groups. NAO platform hates Opel (not to mention their sister divisions).
Why would anyone BOTHER with the Malibutt IF the Vectra range was already done? Wagon, Sedan, Hatch, short wagon. For anyone to think even the lowest class of auto buyers (i.e. the A-to-B drivers) would NOT rather pick the Vectra over the Malibutt is insane.
There's alot of resentment in GM and lack of real leadership that cares about the long term and passion for auto design leaves NA in this bizarre situation where they believe the American public is not sophisticated enough to care about design details today. Luckily for them, the typical clinic customers they use are NOT the most keen in automative passion... and that's what GM relies on for decisions... not engineers or planners or marketers with actual passion.
I visit France a lot on my current project and one of the supplier's engineers drives this Vectra GSi hatch. EVERYONE of the GM folks that goes over asks, "WTF do we not get this car, but instead suffer the GrandAm and Malibu???" And these ARE people who range in age from early 30s to 60s!

Modified by uncleho at 10:14 AM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
the comment on the first page is hilarious.
"to things any enthusiast would marvel at. two things that set a new standard for the class and should send engineers from mazda, honda, nissan and subaru back to their drafting tables. those two things ar the car's front seats."
That has got to be the most retarded comment ever.

·
Registered
15,228 Posts
Re: (346cid)

Quote, originally posted by 346cid »
"to things any enthusiast would marvel at. two things that set a new standard for the class and should send engineers from mazda, honda, nissan and subaru back to their drafting tables. those two things ar the car's front seats."

Youre absolutely right. Hahahahahaa

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's) / '21 SQ5 (on order)
40,480 Posts
Re: Saturn Ion Redline?! (cadiburns)

Quote, originally posted by cadiburns »
Something doesn't sound right here at all. Some of the stats that stood out to me:
Measured Wheel HP: 197 hp
Claimed Crank HP: 200 hp
but I also don't know how this car is putting the same power to the wheels as it is at the crank. hmmmmm?

Reading is fundamental.

The Crank horsepower is"claimed" by the manufacturer, the wheel horsepower is "measured" by the magazine.
Clif Notes, the car is underrated by GM.

Modified by Hostile at 5:28 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's) / '21 SQ5 (on order)
40,480 Posts
Re: (346cid)

Quote, originally posted by 346cid »

What is retarded about that? They are basically saying the best thing about the car, and the only thing it does substantially better then it's competition, is the seats. It's not that hard to figure that out.

·
Registered
15,228 Posts
Re: (Hostile)

Quote, originally posted by Hostile »

What is retarded about that? They are basically saying the best thing about the car, and the only thing it does substantially better then it's competition, is the seats. It's not that hard to figure that out.

Wow, better run, not walk, to your dealer before these seats sell out!

Come on now, that statement really is a testament to how pathetic this car is.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts