VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Automotive News
Interesting -- especially how GM confirmed production of the Curve, then took it back, and now it's on again -- only as a roadster instead. Someone in the PR departmetn needs to get their act together. I think the addition of a Pickup would be nice, but they really need to turn their attention to their cars now. A replacement for the L-Cars and some new styling for the ION (new front end coming 2005).
Saturn set to add roadster, possible pickup to growing lineup
http://www.autoweek.com/cat_co...77767
By K.C. CRAIN | Automotive News
Saturn will get a minivan, roadster and larger SUV in the next three years, Jill Lajdziak, head of Saturn sales and marketing, told dealers at the make meeting.
This September, dealers will get the Relay minivan. Saturn also will get a second SUV, larger than the Vue, within three years. A pickup is being considered, dealers were told.
A cloth-top roadster also will go on sale in the next two years. Dealers were told that the convertible will have bolder styling than the Saturn Curve concept shown at the Detroit auto show last month.
Dealers also were told that L-series production will wind down in 2005, but no replacement was announced. Also, a redesigned front end for the Ion is coming in 2005.
Dealers can see the new products at their national meeting in March.
Lajdziak stressed the importance of continuing to lead the industry in handling customers. She also said that Saturn will continue to increase brand awareness with advertising.

G

·
Re: Saturn set to add roadster, possible pickup to growing lineup (Italo)

Saturn seems to be unsure what it wants to be, which is why the decision on the Curve keeps changing. Also, the addition of a pick-up seems to be a reaction to new, youth-oriented trucks from Toyota, Nissan and Kia. The average buyer's age of a compact/midsize truck is pretty young.
Of course, what I really don't get is why Saturn exists at all. Their sole unique product is the VUE, which would do better as a Pontiac anyway, and is something that the Pontiac brand needs. When Saturn had unique products, it made sense. Now it doesn't.
After all, does GM really need two small roadsters?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Saturn set to add roadster, possible pickup to growing lineup (bgluckman)

Quote, originally posted by bgluckman »
Saturn seems to be unsure what it wants to be, which is why the decision on the Curve keeps changing. Also, the addition of a pick-up seems to be a reaction to new, youth-oriented trucks from Toyota, Nissan and Kia. The average buyer's age of a compact/midsize truck is pretty young.
Of course, what I really don't get is why Saturn exists at all. Their sole unique product is the VUE, which would do better as a Pontiac anyway, and is something that the Pontiac brand needs. When Saturn had unique products, it made sense. Now it doesn't.

I can agree with alot of what you say, but I think the reason that GM has Saturn around nowadays has more to do with the fact that 3/4 of the people who shop Saturn are non-traditional GM buyers. Saturn buyers are fiercely loyal, and they wouldn't have considered GM vehicles before stepping into a Saturn showroom. Plus, Saturn retail outlets (rather than dealerships) are unique in the auto insustry b/c they don't move on prices -- It's the same no matter where you go, and there is no bargaining. Plus, Saturns rank very high on customer satisfaction index by JD Power and they seem to have quite a following overall.
It may look a great deal like normal badge engineering, but it's a unique situation for GM. I think GM will try to exploit this and grow the brand in the coming years b/c they will have a captive audience while trying to lure more and more buyers into the show rooms with new products. So really, I can agree with your points, but see GM's idea as a valid one.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Re: Saturn set to add roadster, possible pickup to growing lineup (Italo)

I must admit the only Saturns I know about are the ones based on the Opel Vectra etc. I always wondered why the US couldn't just get them directly imported - they look way better than what Saturn did with them.

Modified by njm at 11:35 PM 2-11-2004

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
Re: Saturn set to add roadster, possible pickup to growing lineup (mtrainVR6)

Quote, originally posted by mtrainVR6 »
That Vectra liftback is DEAD sexy. I would LOVE to own it.

lol hello malibu max http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
Re: Saturn set to add roadster, possible pickup to growing lineup (bgluckman)

Quote, originally posted by bgluckman »

I agree with the first paragraph, but you're off in the second.
Vue is not solely unique, there's also the Ion. Secondly Saturn has always served as the gateway to import buyers. It still does. Saturn has also served as the pioneer for various processes(manufacturing, development, procurement and such)that the other brands now enjoy. So there are MANY reasons why Saturn lives on.
And yes GM NEEDS two small roadsters! Hell they need several, in various tunes of turbo, supercharger and NA. Are sure you're an enthusiast? Check your pulse.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Saturn set to add roadster, possible pickup to growing lineup (njm)

Quote, originally posted by njm »
I must admit the only Saturns I know about are the ones based on the Opel Vectra etc. I always wondered why the US couldn't just get them directly imported - they look way better than what Saturn did with them.

I think they look great too -- if for any other reason than Opel actuall HAS a coherent design them! But as to why they don't import them directly from Germany? The answer is politics and the UAW. The UAW is already having a fit that GM is importing GTO's from OZ and that GM is importing Aveos from Korea. The UAW may not be as powerful as they once were, but they still carry a significant amount of weight in this industry. And you don't want to annoy labor groups b/c they remember it come contract time. As it was GM had to promise to limit GTO sales to under 20K a year and limit Aveo imports to around 70K a year. If they decided to import Astras and Vectras in high numbers for Saturn's NA consumption, they'd probably have a fit and start striking tomorrow.
But as to Saturn HAVING a vehicle like the Vectra, you may get your wish sooner or later. GM is nearly ready to go ahead and start building some of them here in NA with a Saturn exterior design language. They're really serious about trying to save Saturn and make it "aspiration" to younger buyers.
Here's the article: http://www.businessweek.com/ma...6.htm

G

·
Re: Saturn set to add roadster, possible pickup to growing lineup (Whirling_Dervish)

Quote, originally posted by Whirling_Dervish »
Vue is not solely unique, there's also the Ion. Secondly Saturn has always served as the gateway to import buyers. It still does. Saturn has also served as the pioneer for various processes(manufacturing, development, procurement and such)that the other brands now enjoy. So there are MANY reasons why Saturn lives on.

Well, you're right--the ION is somewhat unique. Though not remotely in a good way.
As for pioneering new processes, does Saturn actually do that anymore? I know Saturn DID things like that, but I didn't think that was the case anymore.
Quote, originally posted by Whirling_Dervish »
And yes GM NEEDS two small roadsters! Hell they need several, in various tunes of turbo, supercharger and NA. Are sure you're an enthusiast? Check your pulse.

If I remotely believed there'd be anything more than trim and interior differences between the two cars, I'd agree. But I don't suspect that'll be the case.
And for the record, I'd much prefer that Saturn get a two-seater or 2+2+ coupe than a roadster.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Re: Saturn set to add roadster, possible pickup to growing lineup (eviljettavr6)

Quote, originally posted by eviljettavr6 »

lol hello malibu max http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

Uh hello, the Max does not look as nice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts