VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just at the Saturn dealer looking at the SKY while my brother was paying for some parts. I was asking the dealership guy if the SKY had plastic doors. He said no, from 2007 on Saturns will have metal doors. I thought people would like to know.

Modified by XClayX at 6:38 PM 4-20-2006

·
Registered
‘17 VW Passat, ‘08 VW Passat, ‘07 Audi Q7 4.2, ‘03 BMW R1150RT, ‘53 DKW RT250H
4,504 Posts
Re: Saturns now going to be made out of metal... (XClayX)

Kinda old news, but yes, all of their new models will have metal panels.
To clarify what your dealer said, all NEW models starting model year 2007 will have metal doors (i.e. the Ion and Vue will still have plastic doors for 2007)

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Saturns now going to be made out of metal... (candywhitepassat)

Kindof figured it was. IMO it's might be a bad move for saturn seeing that the dent resistant doors are a selling point to some people.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Saturns now going to be made out of metal... (CosmicTDI)

Two saturns I would consider owning would be the 2007 ion redline or the 2008 saturn Sky with the turbo engine. I actually kindof like saturns, for the longest time I didn't but when you look at the 13 year old saturn and it looks new. There had to of been somebody thinking that day.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts

Does anyone know how the Saturn line up made it past the side impact tests? I took one apart and was surprised how flimsy the whole door was. All it is made of is a plastic door panel and some sheet metal in the middle with some cardboard door paneling on the inside.

·
Banned
7,987 Posts

Quote, originally posted by CosmicTDI »
From what I've seen in the news, I'm waiting for the day when all Saturns are rebaged Opels (which will be a fine day IMO).

Why? So they can be unreliable heaps just like the Catera?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Re: Saturns now going to be made out of metal... (.je)

Quote, originally posted by .je »

But -isn't a regular door just the same but with flimsy sheet metal instead of the plastic? Sheet metal won't protect you any better.

Wrong. Anytime metal is bent, the bent area increases dramatically in strength. The thickness of the metal is dependant on the cost of the vehicle; Toyota Corollas use thin metal while Mercedes uses thick metal.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Re: Saturns now going to be made out of metal... (Winged Nut)

Quote, originally posted by Winged Nut »

Wrong. Anytime metal is bent, the bent area increases dramatically in strength.

Do you have any proof that sheetmetal actually aids in protection?
I'd think the structure underneath the sheet metal is what actually protects you and not the sheet metal itself.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Re: Saturns now going to be made out of metal... (Equinox)

Quote, originally posted by Equinox »

Do you have any proof that sheetmetal actually aids in protection?
I'd think the structure underneath the sheet metal is what actually protects you and not the sheet metal itself.

This is what the inside of an average door looks like:

Notice the skeleton with the large gaping holes, without the exterior metal there isn't anything else other than the cardboard panel on the inside! The exterior of the vehicle is usually bubbled outwards, crimped, and shaped which greatly increases the strength of the door.
It is easy to bend the handle of a stainless steel spoon, but much harder to bend the round part of the spoon due to the concave shape. The spoon has the same thickness throughout.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

The structure I was referring to are the horizontal steel beams found inside the doors.
Obviously having sheet metal is better than nothing at all, but I think it's effectiveness is minimal, hence the need for said beams.

Modified by Equinox at 11:41 PM 4-20-2006

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Re: Saturns now going to be made out of metal... (XClayX)

Quote, originally posted by XClayX »
Kindof figured it was. IMO it's might be a bad move for saturn seeing that the dent resistant doors are a selling point to some people.

Now don't get me wrong, I really like the Sky, in fact I'm thinking about buying one. But seriously, until recently Saturns have really been A-B cars and that's it. I think anybody that would be pissed about a door-ding probably doesn't drive a Saturn.

·
Registered
28,779 Posts

Does anyone know how the Saturn line up made it past the side impact tests? I took one apart and was surprised how flimsy the whole door was. All it is made of is a plastic door panel and some sheet metal in the middle with some cardboard door paneling on the inside.

You can look them up at http://www.safercar.gov and http://www.iihs.org .
The cosmetic outer panels likely make no difference. The main factors would be strength of the B-pillar and structure surrounding it, as well as the presence of side airbags.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts

Plastic is actually safer and better at diffusing energy in an impact. The reason it is safer is because plastic will not turn into flesh/limb shredding shrapnel, ever. It also is much more efficient at absorbing and diffusing energy from the primary impact in a wreck than steel which transfers MUCH more energy to the rest of the car/driver.
Insurance rates are cheaper on saturns. Plastic discount, seriously!
My GF drives an se2 and its pimp. The interior is cheap as hell but the car itself is solid. She has 82,000 miles on it now and 0 problems. It is an automatic twin cam 16v engine that puts out next to nothing for a car that size. Its basically a honda! Her father's colleague (GM worker) has over 300k on his se2 and still running strong, just oil changes. Of course its his commuter with mostly highway miles.
I'm sad to see saturns will no longer have the plastic panels. One of the best things about her car is we can park ANYWHERE and do not have to worry at all about door dents and dings. With my MK4 GTI we always have to park a mile away from everyone else, and it still manages to pick up a few door dings!

Modified by kungfoojesus at 2:49 AM 4-21-2006

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Re: Saturns now going to be made out of metal... (Dekz)

Quote, originally posted by Dekz »
.....I think anybody that would be pissed about a door-ding probably doesn't drive a Saturn.

I'll disagree w/that. When I was a cost-conscious college student, my wife and I purchased our first new car, a 1992 Saturn. The dent proof panels were a major selling point to us, knowing that anything else would be showing door dings in a couple years' time. Even though we were looking for an entry level car, we were still proud enough to keep our vehicle in like-new condition, which turned out to be much easier with the Saturn. The gamble we took was really the water-based paint, which was new then, and worrying that it might fade or crack on the plastic panels. Turned out to be some of the best GM paint I've had.

·
Registered
19,802 Posts
Re: Saturns now going to be made out of metal... (kungfoojesus)

The plastic will still break into sharp pieces, and it will shatter at cold temperatures, and it will still cut you at the kind of energy levels we are talking about. I'm glad to see them get rid of the dent-resistant panels. Who cares that the car can resist door dings when it looks terrible with 1/4-inch gaps to allow for panel expansion/contraction... It lowers the perceived quality of the vehicle - based on the Outlook preview, the gaps now match or exceed industry standard.

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Re: Saturns now going to be made out of metal... (Double-V)

Quote, originally posted by Double-V »
Who cares that the car can resist door dings when it looks terrible with 1/4-inch gaps to allow for panel expansion/contraction...

Me! I'll take no dents over larger gaps any day. Door dings look awful, and are pretty much inevitable with metal. Look at a 10 year old Saturn and a 10 year old Honda.

·
Banned by John until they unbanned me
10,671 Posts
Apparently, the chinese have manufactured a few cars with all plastic panels and structure, with good weight savings and very simple assembly.
I asked a plastics expert and car nut why we don't do that. He says that the plastic, while it makes a good body, isn't hard enough to hold the sort of finish that western consumers require.
I think that's a shame if true. A light, cheap, plastic hatch that doesn't rust sounds interesting.

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
Re: Saturns now going to be made out of metal... (zukiphile)

Quote, originally posted by zukiphile »

I think that's a shame if true. A light, cheap, plastic hatch that doesn't rust sounds interesting.

But no good if the color fades into oblivion, it's value still drops off... unless sunbaked plastic is your thang. And if it is, I expect an essay of how wonderously aged your neighbor's Rubbermaid mailbox looks after a year on the pole.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.