VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to check in. I used to be fairly active on these forums back in high school and college, and finally found a reason to return 19 years or so later (under a new handle unfortunately). Multiple VAG owner back in the day, then career and family “got in the way!”

I always lusted after the 20th AE, so I found an excuse to find that right project car. Just drove #0953 13 hours from LA to Boise with plans to get it back to its former glory. It’s a bit of a mess...needs a good amount of TLC.

Plan is for a complete respray in BM, refurbished interior, anything that needs attention addressed, and understated mods. Hope the tranny and engine block/head is good...other than a stuck thermostat or screwy coolant sensor, the engine and tranny ran lights out on the 829 mile drive.

I’d like to return to factory height...genuine springs and some good aftermarket shocks work?

Let me know what I should look for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
976 Posts
Glad to see people saving these cars. I'm about to hop back into a 20th after about 6 years and can't wait. There are a few I've come across that I'd love to save, but I just can't invest the time or money at the moment. Looking forward to seeing the progress!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well, as it usually happens, life and other projects got in the way and 0953 found herself relegated to garage duty. I’ve slowly been accumulating parts, bookmarked multiple sites with useful tips, and have combed through the recently arrived, 2 volume Bentley manual.

Well, I’m happy to report she goes under the knife this week. I will attempt to document my progress, along with parts numbers, lessons learned, etc. Though definately not a pro, I’ll attempt to handle everything myself sans the body work/paint and seat re-trims.

Plan of Action:

Phase 1: (Current). Get car back to respectable, near factory status mechanically. $5K in parts are sitting in the garage begging for install... I attempt to purchase genuine, OE, or performance parts wise if possible.

Phase 2: This phase includes a full respray (February. 2020) and full interior refresh. As much as I hate to, I’ll have the factory Recaro seats recovered in leather (saving the wording) as the only new seat covers I found were over $4k just for the front pair. Headliners seems perfect; only the pillar trims will be recovered in leather as well.

Phase 3: As this will be a daily driver, I want to really know her before I begin modifications. Budget is not much of an issue, so imagination and time are the only distractions. Again, I am a sucker for understated modifications, but I would love a bit of a power, brake, and handling bump..

Parts have/are arriving daily from the following vendors, with no issues to report:

FCPEuro.com
ECSTuning.com
RockAuto.com
1loveautogroup.com
vwdirectautoparts.com
USPmotorsports.com

I apologize for the lack of pictures in this post but they’ll come as we begin surgery. Thanks all!

·
Registered
2004 RS R32, 2004 GLI Wagon project.
3,579 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Finally got the old gal up on stands and began the operation. Thankfully, she was a SoCal resident so there isn’t much rust to deal with.

With the coil overs the PO had installed, even my low clearance jack had issues with clearance, especially with the side skirts.

This K&N might have seem better days. The PO had installed an Autotech CAI, and I’m torn wether to replace the filter (and cover it with a hydrophobic K&N Pre-Filter I purchased) or go back to stock. I acknowledge these CAIs don’t do much in the usable power band, but I do like the noises!

I’m not a professional mechanic but something here just seems amiss.... I was planning on leaving the axles as is until Phase 3, but I’ll just go ahead with Raxles right now to save the headache.

Brake components waiting for partial disassembly and a bath. With no leakage and a firm pedal, I think I’ll hold off on piston seals but replace the rest of the parts. It appears a new paint job is in order.

The PO had installed different thickness adapters front and rear; I do want to push the wheel flush with the fender so I hope these do the trick after I lift it back to factory height.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hub Cap Annies in Boise has been tapped to bring the wheels back to glory to the tune of $125 per corner. They’ll be stripped down, checked for issues and true-ness, rashes fixes, and repainted as close to genuine finish as possible.

I’ve been researching “ultra high performance” all season tires; post up if you have a recommendation.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Listing some NLA parts in hopes someone out there in Vortex land can help me source them (new or new condition):

Front GTI badge
Front splitter
R32 steering wheel
Recaro seat covers, full sets
Driver’s side power window/lock surround (silver metal)
Seat belts

Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 RS R32, 2004 GLI Wagon project.
3,579 Posts
Listing some NLA parts in hopes someone out there in Vortex land can help me source them (new or new condition):

Front GTI badge
Front splitter
R32 steering wheel
Recaro seat covers, full sets
Driver’s side power window/lock surround (silver metal)
Seat belts

Thanks!

Some of that stuff if not all will be NLA, but Volky Auto dismantlers, or @oneloveautogroup on IG usually has good quality used stuff.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some of that stuff if not all will be NLA, but Volky Auto dismantlers, or @oneloveautogroup on IG usually has good quality used stuff.
I’ve been keeping tabs on those two dismantlers as well as others but haven’t seen the parts listed in the condition I’m looking for. I did get a cherry airbag from One Love. I’m hoping someone has new old stock laying around!

It appears I’ll be purchasing a reman R32 wheel off eBay from Europe. Hopefully they are of good quality.

Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts