VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Would you teach your new driver/future new driver manual transmission, now, 1-2 years out, 5-8 years out? With few new vehicles offered with manual transmission and the switch to EVs does it make sense? Regenerative braking would be similar to downshifting.

I was thinking about this about a week ago. If I buy a 2022 Golf R, I could store/keep the miles low on my GTI so my son could have it to drive in ~7 years (since he loves the green paint and doesn’t want it to be sold) but how much sense would teaching manual transmission to a new driver make, especially in a state like California where EVs will be the mandated future?

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Interesting question. With EV's becoming the norm all too quickly, it is in my opinion that manual transmission cars will be obsolete in the next 10-15 years. Then again, trends seem to come and go, but transitioning from EV back to gasoline seems highly unlikely. Another thing to consider is how long gasoline will be around... Nowadays, the youth caters to luxury above driving experience, anyway.

Who knows? All things considered, I'm still going to teach my daughter how to drive a manual because I think it's important. For example, you can apply that knowledge to a lot of things like operating a forklift, a motorcycle, etc. For me, riding motocross helped my learning of how to drive a manual, so why would a car be any different? I don't think it needs to be said manuals are FUN, and it's a skillset nonetheless.

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
26,926 Posts
Manual for millenials!

·
Registered
A chili pepper and a little gator.
6,786 Posts
No kids, but hypothetically I would 100% teach my kid that wanted to learn (and IRL even a friend's kid), but 0% pressure a kid into learning. IME most kids don't want to, and that's fine--pressuring them into it really doesn't seem that different than if my Dad had pressured me into learning how to disco when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s.

·
Registered
2014 Mazda3 Sport 2.0 6MT / 2001 Mazda Miata 1.8 6MT
7,784 Posts
my son being 2.5 and my second to be born in May 2022, the oldest will be 16 in 2035. You may** not be able to buy a new car with a manual but I still think there will be a few used cars running around with 3 pedals, albeit a rarity in 14 years. That said, I bought a Miata this year that I really do plan on keeping for life. And I mean it. It's being driven often, but the intention is that it will remain in the family for as long as I can possibly keep it alive. It's in great shape so no reason for that not to be the case. With the Miata in garage as a fun car, my DD will become electric and so will my wife's. I want my son(s) and daughter to fully enjoy the Miata and to learn the art.

**I still believe manual transmissions will be manufactured for road legal use beyond 2035. Things will change until then as EVs being commonplace as I really do think hybridization will be the sports car standard. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but you can definitely have a manual on a hybrid.

Manual for millenials!
millennials being aged 25 to 40, they're the ones driving most of the manuals today.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Manual for millenials!
I am a millennial and rounding 3rd on 40. Generation Z or Zoomers are the young generation now and they were born after 2000 . The year 2000 was 21 years ago. Wish all you boomers understood math, guess that's why Science is on its way out!
/s

I will also be teaching my 2 boys how to drive manual.

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
26,926 Posts
I am a millennial and rounding 3rd on 40. Generation Z or Zoomers are the young generation now and they were born after 2000 . The year 2000 was 21 years ago. Wish all you boomers understood math, guess that's why Science is on its way out!
/s
Manual for zoomers does not sound like fun.

Also, not a boomer. Wish all you millenials understood the past, guess that's why History is on its way out!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Taught my wife how to drive stick after she had driven automatic for 15 years. Only reason she wanted to learn was we found a stick Beetle that was going cheap. It was really hard to teach somebody who had been driving for so long a new way to drive. We had a traffic light on an incline turn green three times before we made the turn with everybody behind loosing their ****. She finally got it and now she wouldn't drive any other way. She's on her third manual car now and hopefully she'll be able to keep driving manuals. I know they're going away but we're going to hang in there as long as we can. There'll always be older cars.

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,959 Posts
Your kiddo loves the color now.

Your adolescent, when they get their license, will probably hate your car. Things change, this new generation will probably ask why it doesn't self drive and kill people.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Both my daughters, 4 and 9, love my S2000 and can’t wait to learn to drive it. Especially because “mommy can’t”. Who knows if they’ll still feel that way at 15/16, but I can hope.

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
No, there are way more important driving skills that take higher priority IMO

I would rather teach them to ride motorcycles than drive manuals if I had the choice. There will probably still be motorcycles in 15-20 years, I don't think there will be any manuals outside of collectors.

Reactions: oidoglr

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'm happy to teach anyone how to drive manual. I taught my wife when I met her, I taught all of my high school friends, and now I've started teaching their kids. Just a couple of weeks ago I taught a friend's 16yo on my Mazda3. When she got in she actually said "I didn't realize you could still get new cars with a manual".

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I taught my then-girlfriend-now-wife when we were dating back in the late 80's. She wanted to borrow my car, a 1981 Jetta with a 5-speed, for a road trip with friends - so there was motivation for her to learn.

Fast forward about 28 years to 2017 and I taught our first son how to drive a manual as soon as he got his license. Now in his senior year at college he dailies a Chevy Cruze with a 6-speed. In 2018 I taught his younger brother how drive a manual - and he has become a real car guy, buying himself a 99 Miata and learning how to do all manner of wrenching.

So all four of us can drive manuals, and three of the five cars in our 'family fleet' have three pedals.

So yeah, I did my part. :)

·
Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
996 Posts
I've been driving a manual since I was 14, only because my father had a stick car. I've only had stick cars for the last 20 years, so if that trend continues, I will happily teach my offspring the ways of the manual. I just don't see that being the case 16-18 years down the road when it actually comes time to do that.

·
Registered
'18 Ram '84 Rabbit
2,345 Posts
With any luck, my Rabbit might be reassembled in 14.5 years when my little guy turns 16. :censored: If he is interested in driving, he'll learn "The Art of the Manual"
We may even still have the wifes 6MT Sportwagen to learn on. She has owned 3 cars, all manual.

I'm the loser driving an automatic daily in my house, through lack of options on 1/2t pickups.

🍺
G

·
Registered
2 Turbo Wagons.
15,560 Posts
I taught my daughter how to drive a manual. It wasn't difficult.
Difficult is encouraging her to go faster than 15 mph, and go onto actual streets.
The desire to drive is low among her peers, unlike when I grew up.

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
38,091 Posts
I taught my son because A. he wanted to drive the Miata and also because B. I wanted him to be able to drive anything in case of an emergency.

I wouldn't have forced the issue if it was just A., but B. was a safety priority for me. I don't genuinely care if he never drives a stick again but at least I know he CAN if he needs to.

I think rural kids have a stronger Drive drive than urban kids. If you want to get around and have some autonomy, then you drive, there is no public transport. I can only think of one young person my son's age who was genuinely resistant to getting their license, and he has some other anxiety issues. Most jump at the chance as soon as possible. Mine got his permit the day he turned 15 and his license the day he turned 16.

·
Registered
2014 Mazda3 Sport 2.0 6MT / 2001 Mazda Miata 1.8 6MT
7,784 Posts
Are manuals even worth saving? What are we actually losing if we stop driving manuals?
maybe for some, not for others.
i find it transforms the experience but that's been beaten to death. in my opinion, no manual, no point in having a gasser.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 106 Posts