VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was going south on the 405 towards San Diego when i spotted a car i had never seen before. so i pulled along side of him and rolled down my windows. I shouted "What kinda car is that!!" and he replied, "It's an Opel!!! Opel GT!!" it was in perfect condition, absolutely mirror paint, but i couldn't tell how the engine sounded or how fast it was. but.. mannn.. that thing was sexy. Someone give me more information on this car!! it looks like the picture below. So how much is it? how much hp? how hard is it to find one? is that a bump for the turbo on the hood?

[Modified by Dieselstation, 12:53 AM 4-10-2002]

·
Registered
950 Posts
Re: Saw an AMAZING car on the freeway today. an Opel GT. (DohRado)

quote:[HR][/HR]that's a pretty nice looking car. the front end reminds me of early 70s corvettes.[HR][/HR]​
They had around 60-90hp depending upon the year. Not really the quickest vehicle around. I remeber seeing an ad saying something like, "The only thing it's designed to win is people". That's about the truth. I can't imagine it being that heavy though, wonder if you can transplant something peppy into it, like a 1.8t or something

·
Registered
432 Posts
Re: Saw an AMAZING car on the freeway today. an Opel GT. (3liter914-6)

My dad and a buddy I used to work with are both GT ex-owners.
Those things are a lot of fun to drive, even though they're not especially quick. Besides, with the immeasurable amount of style points you get for having one, who needs fast?
The bump on the hood is for the carburetor

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Re: Saw an AMAZING car on the freeway today. an Opel GT. (Dieselstation)

If you're in the Boston area, check out German Car Day at the Museum of Transportation in June. There's usually about half a dozen of 'em that show up. A couple of years ago, they all managed to park in a line -- it looked very cool!

·
Registered
28,859 Posts

I used to really lik ethem. My father bought a leftover '70 Opel Rallye Kadette in 1971. Opel GT's chassis and running gear were shared with the Kadette.
According to a book I have, there were 11,500-14,000 Opel GTs sold annually from 1969 - 1973.
The two engines were either 1,078 cc and 67 hp for 1969-70, or1,897 cc and 75-90 hp for 1969-1973.
The article in the book stated that it was "the curvy little 'mini Corvette' designed by GM's Clare MacKichan while on duty at Opel." They're great lookign cars.

·
Registered
38,608 Posts

i've wanted an opel GT since high school. i've always loved them and eventually i'd like one. we had a chance to get a really awesome one. it was black, and had some serious mods done to it. we offered to buy it but the a-hole that answered the door said 'the owner is across the country and it's not for sale' (with quite an attitude)
we said, in effect, "well f** you very much".
3 months later a "for sale" sign appeared on it but we passed. we didn't want to deal with people with a bad attitude.
too bad because it was a GORGEOUS opel GT.
it looked just like this:
http://theopelgtguy.tripod.com/id345.htm
anyone in the Corning, NY area? i can tell you exactly where the car was.
obin

·
Registered
41,826 Posts
Re: Saw an AMAZING car on the freeway today. an Opel GT. (Geijn)

quote:[HR][/HR]

my car...
[HR][/HR]​
Okay, you had the slick coupe version
One of my favorite small car platforms! People knock the 'vette, but the GM T-body based on the Kadett C is one of the most prolific designs in history. I think there have been close to 50 different variants.
Now I'd rather have a GT, but I wouldn't throw a Kadett coupe out of bed for eating crackers...

·
Registered
4,778 Posts

I had always heard them called "the poor man's Corvette". They were defintely good looking cars IMHO. My buddy had one in high school and the neatest part about them was the headlights - they don't pop up, they have a central axis running fore to aft that they would rotate open on. You actually used a mechanical level in the cockpit as opposed to a button or switch.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.