VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, let me start by clarifying that I didn't actually buy one, but my fiance did. I did however drive it! I was very impressed, having driven a few other compact luxury SUV's (Q5, RDX, etc.), I found the ride to be very nice, and the size to be rather manageable. We're going to pick up my fiance's Cortina White Q3 next week, so I'll be sure to update with pictures, but I just wanted to start an actual (co-) owner's thread. Looking forward to hopefully seeing more posts in this forum from other owners!:wave:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey, congrats to you both! I'm still waiting on my dealer's delay vehicles to arrive so I can get some seat time of my own. Really looking forward to your photos.

Okay, let me start by clarifying that I didn't actually buy one, but my fiance did. I did however drive it! I was very impressed, having driven a few other compact luxury SUV's (Q5, RDX, etc.), I found the ride to be very nice, and the size to be rather manageable. We're going to pick up my fiance's Cortina White Q3 next week, so I'll be sure to update with pictures, but I just wanted to start an actual (co-) owner's thread. Looking forward to hopefully seeing more posts in this forum from other owners!:wave:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Went to the dealership yesterday. Looked over the car. Bought it!!! I take delivery on Monday at 2:00. Can't wait. Monsoon Grey Mettalic 2.0 Tiptronic Technik with the Bose 14 speaker sound, Nav, leather.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car isn't in yet sadly. It was in transport when we went in and put a deposit down. We're going by tonight to deal with the trade-in, so if it's there i'll snap some pics :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
The horsepower/torque specs (200/207) make me feel like this is the same 2.0T in the Mk6 Jetta GLI and not the newer 2.0T in the MQB cars. Why is that given the Q3 is a MQB vehicle? Edit: Got my question answered. The platform is the PQ35 and not MQB. Really disappointing.

Congrats on the new purchase(s) by the way. I think the Q3 looks better than anything else in that class.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I got to drive one yesterday, briefly, and I have to say, I was very impressed. I know it's not the new platform (whatever that's really worth) and the lower horsepower engine than the new MQB's 2.0T but it still felt plenty capable and very nimble on twisty roads. If the leasing works out well, I really think a Prestige model is in my future...

Edit: Got my question answered. The platform is the PQ35 and not MQB. Really disappointing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I got to drive one yesterday, briefly, and I have to say, I was very impressed. I know it's not the new platform (whatever that's really worth) and the lower horsepower engine than the new MQB's 2.0T but it still felt plenty capable and very nimble on twisty roads. If the leasing works out well, I really think a Prestige model is in my future...
Thanks for sharing that. My concern these days is safety. I'm wondering how much the MQB platform has on small-overlap crashes.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The horsepower/torque specs (200/207) make me feel like this is the same 2.0T in the Mk6 Jetta GLI and not the newer 2.0T in the MQB cars. Why is that given the Q3 is a MQB vehicle? Edit: Got my question answered. The platform is the PQ35 and not MQB. Really disappointing.

Congrats on the new purchase(s) by the way. I think the Q3 looks better than anything else in that class.
Yeah, the use of the older motor is a bit disappointing to me as well, but seeing as it's the same setup in my 2011 GTI, I know there's plenty of potential hidden in there :) It's sort of sucky that this is just a 4 year old car (to Europe) that we're just now getting as a brand new model, but it's still a great little automobile.

We're going to pick ours up tomorrow morning, so I'll update with pictures later in the day! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay finally some pictures now that she's home!

·
Registered
3 Posts
MMI Screen

Beautiful! Congratulations!

I haven't driven one yet, but am looking at one for my wife. The dealer tells me that the MMI Screen does not retract (as in does in the A3/A6 line). Can you clarify for me if it does or not?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Beautiful! Congratulations!

I haven't driven one yet, but am looking at one for my wife. The dealer tells me that the MMI Screen does not retract (as in does in the A3/A6 line). Can you clarify for me if it does or not?

Thank you!
That is indeed correct, the screen does not fold/retract at all. It's a bit disappointing, but IMHO not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
MQB is lighter (more fuel efficient) and safer according to IIHS tests. The engines are more powerful and efficient. The PQ35 platform has 10 years under its belt in North America. As long as it works for you is what matters but I'll pass since I already have a PQ35 Tiguan. The Q3's platform and engine is what Tiguan owner's have been driving since 2009.

·
Registered
168 Posts
That is indeed correct, the screen does not fold/retract at all. It's a bit disappointing, but IMHO not that big of a deal.
The one that my wife drove did indeed fold down into the dash. Pushed it down until it clicked and it locked down. Same thing to get it come back up.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Interesting - was it difficult to get it to move? Does anyone else have any experience with the screen? The one I drove did not seem to want to move, but I also didn't push too hard as I didn't want to break it.

The one that my wife drove did indeed fold down into the dash. Pushed it down until it clicked and it locked down. Same thing to get it come back up.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Interesting - was it difficult to get it to move? Does anyone else have any experience with the screen? The one I drove did not seem to want to move, but I also didn't push too hard as I didn't want to break it.
Not sure. The dealer was demonstrating everything to the wife. Didn't look that difficult though.

I was in the backseat thinking of ways of talking my wife out of the Q3 and into the new Golf Sportwagon in the spring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maybe it is a US Spec. thing? The pictures below is taken off of AudiUSA.com. under “Q3 Interior Views”.

My wife currently drives a 2010 VW Tiguan and it has been a fabulous vehicle. We are just looking for a replacement as it is now approaching five years old. Even though in does only have 21K miles on it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You know, you could be right. Doesn't really bother me that it's always "up" but it would have been nice if they had not gone the cost-cutting route and left that feature in place. Oh well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We have a US spec Q3 and can confirm the screen does NOT fold down

1 - 20 of 23 Posts