VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m hoping to get some feedback from the community on which intake manifold to purchase. Any insight would be great especially first hand experience.

I have been running the SEM large port manifold since its inception. It is a great manifold, I am just changing the setup around and need a right side throttle body manifold.

Vehicle has a HTA gt3076r and all supporting mods. Vehicle is mainly used for sunny Sunday cruises and lots of open track days as well as a few auto cross thrown in.

I have done some research and found these manifolds that all support the right side setup. Some manifolds would require porting to allow 80mm throttle body.

I know there is a large Price gap between them but it is what it is. I like the modular setups for obvious reason but also like the sheet metal aluminum manifold for it ability to have further components easily welded to if needed..eg:map sensor flange

Thanks I’m advanced for any reviews/advice.

I currently have my SEM manifold for sale:

Product Line Font Gas Musical instrument accessory

Font Parallel Screenshot Automotive lighting Auto part

Automotive tire Automotive design Rectangle Font Automotive wheel system

Light Font Line Screenshot Technology

Reactions: Peeky

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
I won't change my setup to lose the SEM personally, not worth it. Anything can be fab'd up to work with the drivers side inlet. It's just money right?

I like 034 with the .5L spacer, and phenolic spacer, makes a huge difference. Coupled with their(grams) 70mm Tb, It's a fantastic setup for everything from street to time attack to drag.

I wouldn't run an IE even if I were paid to run it, it just isn't any good for 99% of peoples needs and useage. Same with the SPA.

The fab'd unit looks cool, but the severe radius at the end causes starvation, turbulence and sucks to tune and isn't ideal in anyway. I have 2 customers who had them, they made good intake sounds, but they were **** overall when you start looking at data, constantly watching plugs die, knock from the iat rise in that cylinder, intake reversion, etc.

I have seen a bunch of ****ty knock off right side SEM clones, that, if you have a machine shop who can line hone the runners, and wet blast the plenum to smooth the castings, and the exterior, they can perform quite well I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I like 034 with the .5L spacer, and phenolic spacer, makes a huge difference. Coupled with their(grams) 70mm Tb, It's a fantastic setup for everything from street to time attack to drag.
Thank you for the feedback @Vegeta Gti !

I was leaning towards the grams performance/034 manifold. The one thing that has been holding me back is the 70mm grams specific throttle body. I have never had an issue with the Bosch hemi 80mm throttle body. Just nervous about the reliability of a aftermarket company’s throttle body.

You mentioned the .5l spacer…where can this be purchased? I currently own the phenolic spacer.

Again thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
933 Posts
IIRC the 034 manifold is done by Grams but just rebranded. IIRC too you can get it a bit cheaper from Grams themselves instead of 034
I remember looking into this as I was considering getting one

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
IIRC the 034 manifold is done by Grams but just rebranded. IIRC too you can get it a bit cheaper from Grams themselves instead of 034
I remember looking into this as I was considering getting one
You are 100% correct these manifold was a joint venture between Grams performance and 034 Motorsports.

The Grams manifold seems to be the one for the right side throttle body placement. If I can source a Ross machine racing manifold that would be excellent.

Automotive lighting Font Nickel Bicycle part Machine

·
Registered
11 Posts
You are 100% correct these manifold was a joint venture between Grams performance and 034 Motorsports.

The Grams manifold seems to be the one for the right side throttle body placement. If I can source a Ross machine racing manifold that would be excellent.

View attachment 136075
You’re really shooting yourself in the foot by losing the SEM. Grams is the only decent option, but still not as finely developed as the SEM, not even close. The Ross unit is a pretty YUGE downgrade from both of the aforementioned. The gains of the SEM over every manifold on the market outweigh any advantage of reconfiguring your intercooler plumbing by a long shot. You’ll regret getting rid of it IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
It's on the skunk 2 site actually. Here are pics of 2 different customer setups I did, both running speed density on ignitron. With the spacer, etc.

IIRC this is it, I'll get pics of the box to confirm.

Both cars also run the grams/skunk 70mm tb.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
@Uncle Rodney The SEM manifold is a excellent design as shown in the manifold testing and shot out thread. You are right I will probably regret this down the road, but time for a change.

@Vegeta Gti Thank you for the photos and sharing the link. I was planing on setting this new manifold up to run the MAP sensor installed on the manifold. Ignitron is in the future and running a true MAP sensor for engine tuning is optimal. Is this the MAP sensor adapter you are using? Obviously the flat no radius version.

Speaking of throttle bodies does anyone know if the 70mm Bosch TB is actually a 68mm? I have been doing some research and Bosch states 68mm.

Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Electric blue

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
Ebay, 20 bucks. I'll find link for you. The radius was the better choice as I can flatten it for some applications, or use the radius and modify it for others. All depends on the cars setup for placement.

This was on jayrose mk1 gti(you can see a could other plenum actually lol). I've done 7 on 034 manifolds with speed density and ignitron. From gtx2863r to g30-770 and a few in-between. 4 on SEM manifolds and 3 homebrews, one of which I made out of a bunch of great custom cnc parts I welded up, I'll find the pics, that car is touching 4 digit whp. Then of course my own SEM, though I'm still running AlphaN, not ready for SD yet on this engine.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
I don't see why he can't.

If you draw where you want the home and placement and ship it to me I can do it as well. I think I even have an extra map bung in my box, **** I might even have an extra 4bar map sensor.

I can't remember who, but someone has an adapter plate for the 034 menu to fit an 80mm. But if iirc, the newer units are already tapped for 70 and 80mm tb's, don't quote me though.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Vegeta Gti you are correct the new Grams manifold are tapped for oem and 80mm throttle body.

I assume I can just take a carbide bit and enlarge the TB opening to match the 80mm.

I might take you up on the welding offer if I cannot source a local fabricator.

Thanks again

Reactions: Uncle Rodney

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
I can put it in a vise and use my mini mill/lathe as well, I think I have the tooling, if not, easy for me to get. You just need to mark out the hole. Etc. Pm me.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Mmm. SEM manifold and Pag Parts vband turbo kit. Wish I could go back in time to get my hands on each...
Lol my friend has a decade old PagParts Bottom Mount GT3071R with Arnold's speciality modified wheel and an ABD Intake Manifold.

Definitely don't see that around a lot anymore

1 - 20 of 30 Posts