VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
'22 Maverick. '03 9-3, '67 Fairlady
23,723 Posts
Re: SC Hwy Patrol gone wild! You better run! because I'm fixin' to kill you! (ItzDarrell)

Quote, originally posted by ItzDarrell »
dont run (by foot
) from the cops
kidding

Chris Rock: "Don't run. If the police have to chase after you, you better believe they are bringing an arse-kicking with them."

· Registered
'19 Subaru Forester with the no-faster stripes
60,975 Posts
Re: SC Hwy Patrol gone wild! You better run! because I'm fixin' to kill you! (surefooted)

Quote, originally posted by surefooted »
This is why cops get a bad rap. These jackholes should be fired and go to jail.

Agreed. I'm no cop-hater. In fact, one of my best friends is a sheriff's deputy, so I'm naturally inclined to support the police. But it's incidents like this that get the whole "fascist pig" image set in the public imagination, and there's a culture of permissiveness that characterizes the response of many departments to misbehaving officers.
Before anybody starts babbling about troopers fallen in the line of duty and how it's such a stressful job and sometimes they just snap and sometimes the suspect asking for it and sometimes they just can't help themselves because they're having a bad day and et cetera, save it. Police work with the public, and for the public. They are, or should be, expected to hew to the same standards of public demeanor and conduct as any other public servant, including firefighters, doctors, paramedics, soldiers, nurses, and others. If your frustration and stress is such that you're behaving unprofessionally, perhaps it's not the job for you. If my buddy can remain unswervingly civil, courteous, and professional in the course of doing his job, so can any cop.
And it's not merely a matter of professional pride, either - I firmly believe that the effectiveness of a law enforcement agency is directly dependent upon the trust and confidence the public puts in it. If troopers and officers are doing stuff like the above in the course of duty, it makes it harder for them to do their jobs effectively....which makes it more stressful for them, starting a vicious cycle.

Modified by Turbiodiesel! at 12:30 PM 3-20-2008

· Registered
927 Posts
Re: SC Hwy Patrol gone wild! You better run! because I'm fixin' to kill you! (Turbiodiesel!)

Quote, originally posted by Turbiodiesel! »

Agreed. I'm no cop-hater. In fact, one of my best friends is a sheriff's deputy, so I'm naturally inclined to support the police. But it's incidents like this that get the whole "fascist pig" image set in the public imagination, and there's a culture of permissiveness that characterizes the response of many departments to misbehaving officers.
Before anybody starts babbling about troopers fallen in the line of duty and how it's such a stressful job and sometimes they just snap and sometimes the suspect asking for it and sometimes they just can't help themselves because they're having a bad day and et cetera, save it. Police work with the public, and for the public. They are, or should be, expected to hew to the same standards of public demeanor and conduct as any other public servant, including firefighters, doctors, paramedics, soldiers, nurses, and others. If your frustration and stress is such that you're behaving unprofessionally, perhaps it's not the job for you. If my buddy can remain unswervingly civil, courteous, and professional in the course of doing his job, so can any cop.
And it's not merely a matter of professional pride, either - I firmly believe that the effectiveness of a law enforcement agency is directly dependent upon the trust and confidence the public puts in it. If troopers and officers are doing stuff like the above in the course of duty, it makes it harder for them to do their jobs effectively....which makes it more stressful for them, starting a vicious cycle.

WOW!!! Agreed 100%.

· Registered
765 Posts
Re: SC Hwy Patrol gone wild! You better run! because I'm fixin' to kill you! (Turbiodiesel!)

Very well said, Turbiodiesel!

· Registered
4,996 Posts
Re: SC Hwy Patrol gone wild! You better run! because I'm fixin' to kill you! (DoubleNaught)

While it's disturbing that they are using racial epithets, I'm not all that sad that they are using their cars to stop fleeing suspects. I'm all for "tough justice" for idiots who put other people's lives in danger.

· Banned
19,661 Posts
Re: SC Hwy Patrol gone wild! You better run! because I'm fixin' to kill you! (surefooted)

Quote, originally posted by surefooted »
This is why cops get a bad rap. These jackholes should be fired and go to jail.

Fired is usually the only thing that happens....

· Registered
60,975 Posts
Re: SC Hwy Patrol gone wild! You better run! because I'm fixin' to kill you! (salsanacho)

Quote, originally posted by salsanacho »
While it's disturbing that they are using racial epithets, I'm not all that sad that they are using their cars to stop fleeing suspects. I'm all for "tough justice" for idiots who put other people's lives in danger.

Justice? Really? How is hitting a suspect - who may or may not be guilty - with a car, "justice"?
Punishment is the purview of the courts, not the police. We're not living in Mega-City.

· Registered
5,360 Posts
Re: SC Hwy Patrol gone wild! You better run! because I'm fixin' to kill you! (DoubleNaught)

Officers have the legal authority to take your rights away. They should be held to higher standards than the public. If they can't handle that, they need to find another job.

· Registered
4,996 Posts

Justice? Really? How is hitting a suspect - who may or may not be guilty - with a car, "justice"?
Punishment is the purview of the courts, not the police. We're not living in Mega-City.

Bear in mind these incidents are probably after high speed chases when the suspects decide to flee on foot. If they are fleeing and endangering other people's lives, then yes they do have the right to stop the suspect by knocking them over with their car. It's not like the cops are running them over or anything.
How is this any different than when a suspect gets gang tackled by 3 cops? It's actually less of a blow to get upended by the car since you don't have the full weight of a cop driving you into the ground.

· Registered
60,975 Posts
Re: SC Hwy Patrol gone wild! You better run! because I'm fixin' to kill you! (salsanacho)

Quote, originally posted by salsanacho »

How is this any different than when a suspect gets gang tackled by 3 cops? It's actually less of a blow to get upended by the car since you don't have the full weight of a cop driving you into the ground.

You ever been hit by a car? I have. I'd rather get hit by Refrigerator Perry at a dead sprint and with murder on his mind than get hit by a car again. I was hit by a car going 15 miles an hour and it felt like the hand of god smacked me. I got away easy with a broken collarbone and rib.
A driver cannot guarantee that the suspect will not be injured, perhaps seriously and perhaps permanently, by hitting him with a car. Heads aren't meant to hit windshields. Neither are rib cages. It's disproportionate, has a greater-than-average chance of really ****ing somebody up, and it's not necessary to arrest someone.
There's a good reason that the last civilized people to use the Code of Hammurabi were the Sumerians. Let's not bring it back, eh?

Modified by Turbiodiesel! at 2:12 PM 3-20-2008

· Registered
2,625 Posts

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif My job requires me to possess certain skills that are better than 99% of the general public. Being a cop requires them to be more logical and in control of their emotions than 99% of the public. If they can't do that, then they don't have the necessary skills to perform their job.

· Registered
12,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: SC Hwy Patrol gone wild! You better run! because I'm fixin' to kill you! (umeng2002)

Quote, originally posted by umeng2002 »
Officers have the legal authority to take your rights away. They should be held to higher standards than the public. If they can't handle that, they need to find another job.

Fixed
Officers have the legal authority to take your life away. They should be held to much higher standards than the public

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.