VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been away for a while, but I just posted a WTB post for a USRT MushMeister clutch cable guide, and I've already received dms from 3 different accounts with no posts telling me they have one. I responded to a couple asking for pics, and they sent me pics you can find on google. Is this a new thing? I haven't experienced this before.

Peace,

-c

PS Forgive me if this isn't the appropriate forum. I did a quick search and didn't come up with much.

·
Registered
21,628 Posts
I've been away for a while, but I just posted a WTB post for a USRT MushMeister clutch cable guide, and I've already received dms from 3 different accounts with no posts telling me they have one. I responded to a couple asking for pics, and they sent me pics you can find on google. Is this a new thing? I haven't experienced this before.

Peace,

-c

PS Forgive me if this isn't the appropriate forum. I did a quick search and didn't come up with much.
If they are new member stay clear.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. When did that become a thing? Seems like such a waste of time to scam someone out of $50!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Happens almost every time one posts any WTB ad on here,the site has been doing a pretty good job of cleaning up though.

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
Your not going to jail for $50. So if you have no morals, $50 is an easy scam. Do that as a full time job and I bet it pays well.

That is why I always pay with a good app and never as a gift.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your not going to jail for $50. So if you have no morals, $50 is an easy scam. Do that as a full time job and I bet it pays well.

That is why I always pay with a good app and never as a gift.
Good advice. Which app do you recommend?

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
I pay with PayPal. Why? Cause I get paid on PayPal from a few clients. I use it to buy shop stuff and stuff I do not want my wife to know about.

I've had really good experience with PayPal. I purchased a part from AliExpress [that is a shaddy way to shop cheap]. I never got my item. I filed a complaint with AliExpress and I lost. WTF? I pay for an item, never received it, and the seller agrees that it was not sent. I filed a complaint with PayPal and I got my money back fairly quickly.

I have paid for items and added additional dollars to cover any fees. I've never got scammed by a pro.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I pay with PayPal. Why? Cause I get paid on PayPal from a few clients. I use it to buy shop stuff and stuff I do not want my wife to know about.

I've had really good experience with PayPal. I purchased a part from AliExpress [that is a shaddy way to shop cheap]. I never got my item. I filed a complaint with AliExpress and I lost. WTF? I pay for an item, never received it, and the seller agrees that it was not sent. I filed a complaint with PayPal and I got my money back fairly quickly.

I have paid for items and added additional dollars to cover any fees. I've never got scammed by a pro.
I've been using paypal since it's inception back in 1999 or 2000. I've always had a good experience.

·
Registered
49 Posts
haha... yep... I put up a WTB.... Always a new member "my friend has one" ... then I talked to one, they tell you... "Transfer money to my crypto wallet and I'll send it", then you ask for paypal and you get the... "I don't have paypal... but my friend does, BUT HE TOLD ME IT IS NOT BUSINESS account, so you need to send as friend/family transfer"

if you check any of their contact info... there are plenty of forums that come up complaining about them scamming people

·
Registered
21,628 Posts
haha... yep... I put up a WTB.... Always a new member "my friend has one" ... then I talked to one, they tell you... "Transfer money to my crypto wallet and I'll send it", then you ask for paypal and you get the... "I don't have paypal... but my friend does, BUT HE TOLD ME IT IS NOT BUSINESS account, so you need to send as friend/family transfer"

if you check any of their contact info... there are plenty of forums that come up complaining about them scamming people
report them to the mods to have their account deleted.

·
Registered
49 Posts
report them to the mods to have their account deleted.

I did, but that doesn't work. They just make a new acc in a minute and try again and again and again.

What should actually be done is a temporary lock on new accounts based on contribution. For example, restrict access to Classified section and DMs until you have 5-10 post, could also do a hybrid veteran system, after 3-7 days classified open up + no DM until certain number of post have been contributed... Which really isn't that difficult to do, but it is extra work for scammers and I think that would drive the number lower.

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
The problem is that you can never get rid of them. If you block one entrance, they come in a different way.

You can warn people till you're blue in the face, but some people do not listen and must be scammed before they learn. The school of hard knocks is tough and sometimes costly, but you certainly learn a lesson.

The biggest problem is not the scammer, it's the buyer. We teach our kids that it's someone else's fault for everything that goes wrong in life. We rarely accept blame for our mistakes. You cannot get scammed unless you allow yourself to be scammed.

The answer to the problem is to make the appropriate decision. Why do people give up their options to save a few dollars? If you get scammed, accept that it was your fault. You can make better choices in the future, but you cannot change the fact you may be scammed again. They are everywhere.

#1 rule for me is to have a way out of a bad transaction. PayPal works. If the other person is so cheap, that they cannot afford the fees, you have two choices, one is to add more to cover the fees and the other is to walk away knowing you still have your money.

People have been stealing from others since the beginning of time. A bit more common sense are the decisions you make keep the scammers away. It works for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts