VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey hey. Would it be legal to make it to European specs since they have more HP and are "stock"???? If so then couldn't you put in a Euro "G" Grind cam, Euro Curved Distributor, and other such things??? I thought I saw a engine build of a VW guy that was running a "G" Grind Cam. \
At http://qualityvwparts.com they have a balanced and lighweight Auxiliary Shaft. I am prolly trying to push it but this wouldn't be legal to put in would it.
http://www.qualityvwparts.com/auxiliary.html
There is the link for the description for it that is on the sight.
Another question. I heard a short shifter isn't allowed where the linkage is. So. I was at qualityvwparts again and saw this.
Shortened Shifter
A2 All
30% Reduction In All Directions
Its on their main page and in their tranny/shifter section. It is actually a shorter shift rod and has nother to do with the linkage.
Well. I guess those are my questions except for what is different on the euro motors than our US ones to get more HP outta them. Thanx and peace.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Re: SCCA Engine 1.8l 8v questions (D_Bat)

What aspect of the SCCA are you talking about?
If you're talking about autocross, you can't put any of the european engine parts in and run them in anything less than prepared, probably. The euro cams (which, even though they are OEM in european VW's, are treated as aftermarket by the SCCA) would be illegal for Stock, STS, and Street Prepared.
If you're talking about club racing or rally or something, you'll have to get an answer from a wiser person than me

Edit - things like the short shifter may be legal in STS or Street Prepared, but not stock.

Modified by gsrroger at 4:37 AM 5-13-2003

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: SCCA Engine 1.8l 8v questions (gsrroger)

All Improved Touring engines must be built to the U.S. specifications. The engine can only be blueprinted and balanced; the compression can be raised 0.5 point; and the factory camshaft must be used unless an update or backdate is noted on the spec page of the ITS (improved touring specifications) for the particular car. Anything else is totally illegal.
Short shift kits are not allowed in Improved Touring. Best advice is to purchase a SCCA General Competition Rules (GCR) book which includes the Improved Touring rules. Read the rules many times until you fully understand them. Good luck, WWR.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: SCCA Engine 1.8l 8v questions (WackyWabbitRacer)

In the new A3 8v engines they use balanced auxiliary shafts but not in the older A2s.
The shifter isn't a short shift kit. Imagine your shift nob and the part it screws into. Well the part that it screws into is pretty long right?? Well. Take that part and hack part of it off. That's what the new part is. I haven't ever seen one and the first time I saw one was a week ago at qualityvwparts.com Since it isn't altering any linkage at all I don't see why it would be illegal. Its just shortening a really long shifter. Oh ya. Good example. You know a GMC Sonoma or a S-10 or what ever. You know their shift knob and how it un scres and you can put a shorter one there. Then why won't it be like that?? I dunno. I will go to the local places and see what they say.

·
Registered
14,303 Posts

The GCR says any shift knob may be used but nothing about shortening the shift lever. I doubt if any competitor would protest a shortened shift lever. However you should think about this.
When you are fully strapped into a racing seat with five or six point belts, you will most likely not be able to reach a "shortened" shift lever and engage all gears, especially 5th gear.
You can go ahead and cut the shift lever, but you are wasting your time. Concentrate on the suspension and other parts of the car. Building an IT car will keep you busy enough without trying "trick" stuff that does not work. Regards, WWR.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: SCCA Engine 1.8l 8v questions (WackyWabbitRacer)

Oh no. I gotta replace all the linkage in the car and all the bushing and the whole shifter assembly so if I am going to buy a brand spanking new one why not buy a pre shortened one for the same price.
Ya see what I mean. If anyhting it only costs 25 dollars and I can prolly resell it or else use it in a different car. Either way it isn't a loss and I don't even have to do the cutting and all.
I don't know about you but its really hard to reach all the way up to 5th with the stock shifter seeing its throw is so long. This reduces the throw by 30 precent it says so it should over compensate for the shortness of it. Go take a look at it at http://qualityvwparts.com Great site, cheap prices, quality parts. Ya can't go wrong there.

·
Registered
14,303 Posts

The only thing that I can say is that I hope you have very long arms. Without changing any of the shift linkage pivot points, a "shortened" shift lever still travels the same amount of arc, such as from 1st gear to 2nd gear. To make the arc of the shift lever smaller, the pivot points must be changed which is not allowed in IT racing.
For grins, just sit as far back as you can in your stock seat and try to grab the shift lever several inches lower than the shift knob.
In Improved Touring racing, the factory seat must replaced with a racing type seat and racing belts. Once the belts are tightened, you will not be able to lean forward. Many VW racers actually add a short extension to the shift lever to faciliatate the selection of all gears.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts

Listen to WWR.....Good info. and actually yesterday i put in a 4pt harness(Sabelt) and a Recaro Trophy into my bunny. I am only 5'7" and let me tell ya, i have a bit of trouble with my shortshift, if i don't sit properly when all strapped in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts