VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
14,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a resident studebaker know it all on the car lounge?
the reason i ask is because a friend and acquired a car from family,
we are making it a point to not do anything that can't be undone, because we really can't find anything on this car...its a 1931 two door studebaker coupe, with a factory ragtop. awesome little looking car, and its just nice to be working on something out of the norm, but really, we would like to find out as much info on the car as possible. how rare are these? anyone have any cool memories with one, or have some old brocheres or something? anything?
only pic i have on this computer, its a bit dated as well, car is alot cleaner now...

where it sat for who knows how long, before we started...

help...anyone...

· Registered
59,645 Posts
BattleRabbit's (male relative I'm currently drawing a blank on) has a Studebaker pickup in immaculate condition. Not sure if that helps any but we don't see much Studebaker action here.
I vaguely recall someone a couple weeks ago saying their brother bought an Avanti, too....but don't recall who that was.

· Registered
14,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (ATL_Av8r)

Quote, originally posted by ATL_Av8r »
BattleRabbit's (male relative I'm currently drawing a blank on) has a Studebaker pickup in immaculate condition. Not sure if that helps any but we don't see much Studebaker action here.
I vaguely recall someone a couple weeks ago saying their brother bought an Avanti, too....but don't recall who that was.

thank you kindly for the quick responce!
from what i have found thus far, the truck following seems to be alot more larger than the car loving community. i love the trucks as well, and the family member that had this coupe also had a handfull of trucks, all in various stages of restoration. but the little coupe always drew more appeal to us, well, for obvious reasons (to us)
i know usually google is your best bet, but its really not turning up any info for us.

· Banned
10,945 Posts
Re: School me, having a hard time finding more info on our project (randyvr6)

That is not a "factory rag top" in the sense of a VW sliding fabric sunroof. That is a closed roof that just happened to be wood covered in leather or vinyl.

· Registered
14,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: School me, having a hard time finding more info on our project (winstonsmith84)

good info, thanks!

well i just recieved an email from a stude enthuisiast, and im very pleased, he is willing to help us out on gathering more info, here is the email i got:
Hi Tyler
What a great find!
This should be pretty easy. But I still need to see a picture of the engine or the serial number. The serial number is located on the outside of the frame behind the drivers side front wheel. It would tell me everything.
From what I can see it's a 1932 Studebaker Six Reggal St. Regis Brougham.
From the angle and not being able to see the engine it appears that it is a six cylinder. Could be wrong.
If you can get me some more pictures or information, I could probably help a little mire.
I have attached of picture of a 1932 Regal St Regis Brougham.

If you would like to call me
I'm in Los Angeles and I'm up till 11:00pm almost every night.
Always try the office number first.
Hope this helps.

/
interesting! gramps (owner of car who we got it from r.i.p.) walways said (so we thought) it was a 31. at least i have some where to start and something to go off of now.
if anyone has anything to add, feel free! i will update this with some more older pics when we first got started.

· Registered
14,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: FV-QR (ArtieLange)

Quote, originally posted by ArtieLange »
Nice score! Pretty handsome little car. Would love to see updates! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

hey thanks man,
right now admittedly, the biggest obstacle is just finding the time to go out to the shop at which it resides. working six days a week this whole year hasn't left much time for anything else!

· Registered
5,939 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by Amsterdam087 »

hey thanks man,
right now admittedly, the biggest obstacle is just finding the time to go out to the shop at which it resides. working six days a week this whole year hasn't left much time for anything else!

That and your Scirocco- I know that kills time. Can't wait to see it at WWerks, and/or Leavenworth.

· Registered
14,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: FV-QR (ArtieLange)

Quote, originally posted by ArtieLange »

That and your Scirocco- I know that kills time. Can't wait to see it at WWerks, and/or Leavenworth.

it REALLY has!

that has been waiting paitiently for almost a year now, still collecting parts and doing a complete over haul of the entire car and even having a fresh motor put in. 400hp 4cyl. takes time, but it should be more than worth the wait! doubt it will be deemed "road worthy" by me in time for anything this year. but next year i will be back with a bang.

· Registered
4,987 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Amsterdam087)

Talked to my 70+ yr old grandpa and told him about your find OP; he restores Studes, mainly pickups, but has a few diesels, flatbeds, and Larks also. His first words were "*Low whistle* Those are rare, even back then. Tell him to hold on to it." He didn't have much else off the top of his head, but enjoy OP. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Get Off My Lawn!!!
25,202 Posts
Re: FV-QR

Actually, there are 26 topics in TCL to-date about Studebaker. Just search for "studebaker" in the archives. Any lack of quantity the marque's presence may have here is made up for in the quality of the existing threads, too, IMO. You don't get many mouthbreathing "Fast and Furious" types in these threads, thankfully.

· Registered
975 Posts
Re: School me, having a hard time finding more info on our project (winstonsmith84)

The fabric center of the roof was the norm for the cars of that vintage. It was due the limitations of stamping steel of that size.
edit: I thought that they were used for hot rod, but found that the body is rare at the following website:

http://www.collect.com/Categor...09/L0

Modified by Grinder at 5:15 PM 4-27-2010

Modified by Grinder at 5:16 PM 4-27-2010

· Get Off My Lawn!!!
25,202 Posts
Re: School me, having a hard time finding more info on our project (Grinder)

For the record, the first all-steel roof on production sedans was introduced by General Motors on their 1935 model-year Chevrolets, and was marketed by the name, "Turret Top" for the next few years, as other GM divisions standardized the feature, along with many competitors. The Fisher Body division of GM developed the technology used to enable the large stampings needed to manufacture such bodies, along with the new structural techniques necessary in a car body that had virtually eliminated structural wood (previously, only the outer skin of a car's body was metal, and the underlying framework was laboriously formed hardwood).
One maker that had to stretch its creative abilities and its budget, in order to conform to the new technology of all-steel roofs, was the 1936 Cord 810. The company had almost no funding to spend on the expensive tooling needed to stamp one-piece roof panels, so the Cord engineers and body maker "made do" with a roof panel built-up of 7 separate pieces of sheetmetal that were welded together in a jig, and then the seams were ground, filled and sanded, to form a panel that looked one-piece when finished. To have introduced such an otherwise revolutionary new automobile with an "antique" fabric-and-wood roof would have been unthinkable for Cord, thus the extraordinary effort put into the roof's construction.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.