VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So my '11 Mustang is in the dealership for its second transmission/clutch replacement.
As there is still currently no actual solution I'm just biding time until its considered a lemon.
At only 3k miles per clutch assembly, that won't take too long.

On my way home today, driving my WONDERFUL (no really, by contrast its FANTASTIC) Chevy Cruze rental I stopped at the Honda dealership to see how bad the CR-Z really is. I drove the 6 speed, not the CVT.

No one around here seems to like it (other than that one guy who owns one), but I'm having a hard time figuring out why.

In a 45min test drive mix between highway and like 8 miles of stop and go traffic light leapfrogging, I averaged 41.8 MPG. Thats not Prius numbers, but its quite a bit better than the EPA rating, and I wasn't gentle at any of the lights where I found myself first in line.

The exhaust sound is... well its not great, but its not bad. It sounds a bit like an SI in vtec, but muted. Certainly sounds better than any other economical car I've run across.

The interior is REALLY nicely laid out. The gauges are really cool. You feel like you are on the set of a space movie made in 2011, not an old 1960s star trek episode.
The one I drove in didn't have a center console/armrest. It needs one badly, but its a $300 option so its not a HUGE deal. The door armrests are covered in a neat textured fabic, but they don't have any sort of padding. Probably weight savings, but it felt much cheaper than my old SI did.

The shifter is LONG. REALLY LONG. the throw is a good 4 inches from center, and it feels a bit loose. Not as good as the Civic SI or S2000 for sure. Maybe a short shift kit would help.
The clutch is ultra soft. There is almost no resistance, and you can barely feel it grab. I've got a messed up left knee so I didn't find this such a bad thing. I do feel like it might be a weak point if you ever wanted to upgrade the power.

While driving, it feels faster than it is. I've yet to discover why exactly some cars feel this way, but the CR-Z, to me, is one of them. Its fairly nimble and darty, and has no trouble passing other vehicles at 80+ mph.

So TCL automotive experts... what am I missing? Is there some other $20k economical new car that has slightly sporty undertones that I'm forgetting?

·
Banned
26,433 Posts
TCL hates it because it's a new Honda even though TCL, typically doesn't really like old Hondas save the CRX and S2000.

It's new, but someone here owns one. I think they look awesome in real life and I'd drive one for sure.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
36,785 Posts
Had a black one pass me on the road the other day and I thought it was really nice looking. :thumbup:

Never driven one but love Honda's in general. Our 08 Accord had that feather-light clutch as well, quite a difference from the clutch in the 06, V6 Mazda6 it replaced. You get used to it.

·
Banned
7,189 Posts
My friends neighbor just picked up a red one, and after seeing it almost everyday they are starting to grow on me. Not that I would buy one, but I am starting to like them.:thumbup:

·
Registered
22,312 Posts
I'm obviously biased since I'm the guy who owns one but I think like most Honda products it will only really be loved once time passes and you can pick one up for cheap for a project car or engine swap.

The other reason is because it's not a German hatch. The muted German style is very much loved around TCL.

And of course "feeling fast" is not on the same page as really being a fast hatch.

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
I haven't driven one, but I always liked it since they came out. Perhaps some of the problem is that people were expecting the "new" CRX and this car just doesn't deliver in that respect? Even though this was never Honda's intention, the expectation was still there I believe. To its credit, it probably performs as well or better than a CRX in most ways, but I think people really are begging for a hot hatch again from Honda.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I'm growing warmer towards it, but being a former CRX Si owner, I'm still disappointed by it. I actually wanted to see them build a better CRX HF this time around. What you have is too much of a compromise. Thus it's a fair sports car and a fair economy car. But for the price you can always find a better sports car or economy car if you don't mind making compromises that is ;)

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I park next to one every day. Neighbor in my complex has a red one. I REALLY like it. Almost enough to make me consider a hybrid ......

·
Registered
18,423 Posts
So my '11 Mustang is in the dealership for its second transmission/clutch replacement.
As there is still currently no actual solution I'm just biding time until its considered a lemon.
At only 3k miles per clutch assembly, that won't take too long.
Either it's just your car, or the Mustang isn't as great as TCL makes it out to be.

·
Registered
402 Posts
waiting for someone to put some ridiculous engine in this thing

·
Registered
22,312 Posts
K-series swaps are already beginning to be popular in them
But then've you've got even more weight up front, CEL's that won't go away, some lost dash functionality, and the tach isn't going to be of much use since the K20 will rev higher than the display. Your also still missing out on the suspension bits and LSD.

Overall even with a couple hundred lbs in weight savings the K20 CR-K would still be a vehicle with limited appeal. It's a cool one off concept or project car but I can understand why Honda didn't build it.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Banned
8,726 Posts
came in here to post this, left defeated :(

Anyway, I remember hearing something about Honda's HPD developing a 200hp turbo'd CR-Z (can't remember if it still had the stock motor or swapped to K). Needless to say, it looked awesome. Haven't read up on it lately and maybe someone can help me out? What's the verdict? Honda gunna introduce it sometime or was it a one of?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Have not driven one but I have sat in one and for that short time I was in love with seating position and interior set up. I also think it is a great looking car and those mpg's will be nice this summer @$5/gallon

1 - 20 of 45 Posts