VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't sell all that well in North America, but seem to blow the Audi/BMW segment out of the water in features/performance for the price point.

I need a 25K~ 20+ mpg, highway cruiser for commuting, the M45 seems to fit the bill while not lacking in oomph and features.

Can anyone think of anything to look for? Seems all around reliable.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Depends on what you want out of the car. I was looking at M35/45's and aside from the V8 option and some of the extra luxuries, I couldn't really split the M and a fully loaded G.

What made me get the G?

- Better styling (subjective)
- Similar options when the G has everything
- Much lower insurance
- Parts are easier to get
- G gets 90% 350Z aftermarket
- I could get the G with a stick

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As lame as it sounds, ventilated seats mean a lot to me, especially in traffic. I don't think the G came with those? And it's a highway commuter, I don't really want a stick.

I'll be keeping the RX8 for fun.

Oddly enough M45 sports are cheaper in Canada than across the border.

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
I love my 2007 M45. Yes you'll be running at just under 3k at 80mph so mileage is just ok.
My wife and I just drove the car from SF Bay to Santa Fe and back , 2600miles round trip. Car was awesome. Huge trunk, great power. Averaged about 22mpg with the cruise set at 80 the entire time.
The AC in the seats makes a ton of sense this time of the year (113f over the hoover dam).

I've owned a G35x and 2006 G35 6mt coupe. Everything I'd fix about the V35 is fixed in this car. The handling is probably the most surprising aspect of the car. Very comparable to the G cars, better than the G35x.
The car is heavier though, by about 500lbs. That said, it's heavier in all the right places.

Now if only it had a 6th gear....

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the insight Lip, the two trouble spots I've heard are premature brake wear and the navigation sucks balls.

Do you have the sport model? If so how's the road feel? I've heard for some it's a little too harsh.

I'd be looking at a 2006-2007 with 50-60K miles for 25K~ Cad.

I love my 2007 M45. Yes you'll be running at just under 3k at 80mph so mileage is just ok.
My wife and I just drove the car from SF Bay to Santa Fe and back , 2600miles round trip. Car was awesome. Huge trunk, great power. Averaged about 22mpg with the cruise set at 80 the entire time.
The AC in the seats makes a ton of sense this time of the year (113f over the hoover dam).

I've owned a G35x and 2006 G35 6mt coupe. Everything I'd fix about the V35 is fixed in this car. The handling is probably the most surprising aspect of the car. Very comparable to the G cars, better than the G35x.
The car is heavier though, by about 500lbs. That said, it's heavier in all the right places.

Now if only it had a 6th gear....

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I'd say go for it. I would get the M45 as well if I was looking for something within your set criteria.

A few years back I ended up with a G35; as opposed to a M35 - for most of the reasons stated earlier by a poster here (I've also got a very nice lease deal). Of course, at the time, I wasn't looking for a V8 anyway.

Now I am looking for a new V8, but I am not sure if the styling of the new M50 gels with me. Not that any of that matters, as I am not car shopping until my pay bumps back up (took a few pay cuts already).

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I sold them for about a week (their dealer network is too Nissan and not premium at all). They are one of the few Asian cars with a soul. I love the M35, I think the M45 is overkill just in the manner that either one drives 80MPH just as fast.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah oddly enough they both seem to get close to the same MPG and in resale in canada, it's only a couple grand difference.

I sold them for about a week (their dealer network is too Nissan and not premium at all). They are one of the few Asian cars with a soul. I love the M35, I think the M45 is overkill just in the manner that either one drives 80MPH just as fast.

·
Registered
20,588 Posts
I don't know where you live, but the AWD system in those cars is pretty darn good too.

My dad has a very early 2006 M35x and the damn thing has been flawless as far as I know. definitly test drive the M35 and M45. You may find you don't need the extra power. Plus the VQ has the advantage of being in effing everything so maintenance costs are fairly low.
MPGs kinda suck I'm told, but I don't know.
Got to toss the car around HWY1 once, pretty good for such big car.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does the M45 have anything extra besides the bigger engine?

I don't know where you live, but the AWD system in those cars is pretty darn good too.

My dad has a very early 2006 M35x and the damn thing has been flawless as far as I know. definitly test drive the M35 and M45. You may find you don't need the extra power. Plus the VQ has the advantage of being in effing everything so maintenance costs are fairly low.
MPGs kinda suck I'm told, but I don't know.
Got to toss the car around HWY1 once, pretty good for such big car.

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
The first one was the Y34 Cedric/Gloria, the last of that line. The Cedric/Gloria, like its rival Toyota Crown, was basically Japan's equivalent of American full-size cars in concept (i.e. anything from fleet market stripper to loaded luxury and performance, and everything inbetween), but with the Y34 Nissan gave it more of an "edge" than before. In 2004, they replaced the Cedric/Gloria with the Fuga, which became the next M35/45 and will now be Nissan's flagship since the Cima and President are put out to pasture.

This basically means Nissan has gotten rid of almost all its traditional nameplates :(

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.