VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm in the process of putting in new style GLI Recaro seats into my 86 GTI. I am also attempting to install Schroth belts at the same time.
I have a few questions

OK, on the outside lap belts, they bolt to the anchor point for the OE seatbelts, and you can keep the OE seat belts in place. Where they bolt down, I have a variety of washers and spacers, and I need to know the correct order of assembly

In the pic, you can see the OE belt, a plastic washer, the Schroth belt, a metal spacer, a metal washer, then there is (not pictured) a metal cap thing that goes on last, and fits up against the carpet.
Is this order correct?
Actually, I guess it is just one question

I have others, but I don't have the pics ready for them yet, so I'll wait to ask those. They are about hooking the Scroth to the seat frame, and on what side of the VW belt, and so on

I plan on calling Schroth this morning, but they aren't open yet, so I asked here

Thanks for any help you can give!
Broke

·
Registered
102 Posts
Re: Schroth instructions? (Broke)

I removed the stock belts and just used the stock mounting points. fits better and you get more of the bolt in the whole for strength.and it will look better! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Schroth instructions? (oldman)

OK, what do you do with the reel mounted up on the B-pillar then? Is there a plug you can use to cover the hole up with?
Also, on the shoulder strap pads....shouldn't the blues ones above be reversed...so the zipper edge isn't cutting into your neck? I got pads with my belts too, it all came with the GTI, and the zippers are on the outside edge of the pads

I think I might just go ahead and remove the VW belts...unless having them all in there will affect my insurance rate, what with all the extra safety equipment installed

I'll have more questions later, and pics to put up....thanks for the help thus far though!
Broke

·
Registered
102 Posts

Yes the pads are wrong i just put them on for the pic and then noticed that. And no there is no plug for the b pillar. You should put them in and drive really really hard you will want them in every thing!

·
Registered
3,670 Posts

I assume that you have "Y" back style belts? If so, when you remove the top loop thing from the OEM belts go to a trim shop, PEP BOYS or whatever parts place around you is pretty well stocked and there will be a pegboard full of plugs and clips and things on it. Look for a push in tyoe of plug that'll fill the whole and cover the spot where the bolt was. It should just push in and stay there. And Yes you will love these things!!!!!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts

Hey Broke - long time, eh? Sorry it's been so long. I'm mostly on AudiWorld and AudiZine now (long story). I didn't even know you wrecked the Golf. Send me some pics sometime.
Anyway, The pic you show is correct (or at least that's how I did it in my Golf). Just make sure you bend the Schroth mount so that the belt is lying flat against the seat. I've taken them out of the Golf (had them in my GTI for several months before trading it for the A4 Avant) so I can't take any pics. If I decide to put them back in (which I will do ONE DAY), I'll send pics. And yes, the Golf is just sitting in the garage staying clean

Later,
Mike

·
Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
41,531 Posts

I'd vote for pulling the stock belts, you want those anchor points flush and without extra 'stuff' on the bolts

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Schroth instructions? (16v)

OK, so another question....on these Recaros, they had VW reels and buckles on both the inside and outside edges of the seats, you know, for the newer style seat belt system....I removed all that crap, since I was planning on sticking the VW seat belts from the 86 GTI back in, I just replaced VW brackets with VW brackets, using my old stuff from the car instead of the new stuff that was on the Recaros.
Schroth belts are supposed to use the factory mounting spots, right? OK, so since the seat frame is a factory spot on both the inside and outside edge on my new seats, can/should I install the lap belt of my Schroth so that both ends of the lap belt attach to the seat? On the GTI seats, the Schroth lap belt attached to the seat frame on the inside edge (closest to the exhaust hump), then ran over and bolted to the actual car body, at the bottom of the b-pillar., as shown in the pic in my first post. Should I keep it like that, or have the lap belt attach only to the seat frame? I'm thinking I should keep it like it was...inside attaches to the seat frame, outside attaches to b-pillar bottom, and the tail straps stay attached in the rear seat lap belt anchor points on the floor.
Oh, yeah, they are 4 point belts, and I have driven the car with them, they came with it, but not in these Recaro seats, which I just picked up last night
I do like them, and I don't use the VW belts anymore, but that doesn't mean somebody else might not want to use them, or something like that....and I haven't tried it, but can you wear them both at the same time?

I'm still undecided on removing the factor belts or not....and I'm assuming when you remove the VW belts, you do not remove the latch release bracket that bolts to the inside seat frame, right? It has a notch cut into it, because there is an alignment tab on the seat frame...this would keep the Schroth eyelet from sitting flat....so you just remove the actual belt and reel when removing the VW belts?
Thanks for the help

Broke

·
Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
41,531 Posts

ok, to save yourself a lot extra work down the road you should decide if you want to keep the stockers or not. I have the late model belts still installed on my SRD. I didn't have the B pillar reel to worry about. By mounting the lap belt to the factory location on the inboard side (using the mount above the frame rail) and using the bolt on the outboard sill side you will offset stress from the seat rails. This is what I'm doing. Then the rear mounts use the stock points in the rear. Sorry, for once I don't have any upclose photos of the install b/c I did it all long before I got my dig cam

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.