VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, glad to be part of the family again. This is my 2nd R32 that I got. First one I've only had for 6 months and had to sell due to lack of space and kid :banghead:. This is my second attempt at owning one, recently picked up a very neglected R32 in PA. Car has had 7 owners sofar. It drives fine but there are a lot of things that need to be sorted still.

I've created a thread TCL Build for more exposure and going the conversation going.

That said, I picked up a

Deep Blue Pearl
130k miles
7 owners
interior is a mess
exterior is a mess
suspension is a mess

What I've NurTechnik get done sofar:
Brake fluid changed
Haldex Oil changed
Engine oil changed
Suspension endlinks and bushings replaced

What I've done sofar:
Replaced seats

Replaced shifter knob

Armrest installed

HID xenons purchased waiting for install

gutter trim installed

rear wiper cap installed

TBD:
plugs and coilpacks
exhaust and DP
downpipes
Instrument cluster
wheels
paint

Will get rid of the OZs that are on the car right now, probably get those torn seats redone so if someone needs a set soonish PM me, I'll make a post in the classifieds.

as it sits today 11/12/2020:

Questions etc LMK.

Good to be back!

Reactions: jringo8769

·
Registered
169 Posts
Glad to see you get another one. I love watching restores and doing them. Although my wallet and wife (one in the same) dont like it. Hahaha

·
Premium Member
87,801 Posts
So glad you brought your thread over here. Nice to see this forum popping off again. :heart:

Progress looks amazing, as I said in the other thread.

Thanks for saving this one!

I also sent you a friend request on Facebook.

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to see you made it over here! :wave:
Thanks man!

Glad to see you get another one. I love watching restores and doing them. Although my wallet and wife (one in the same) dont like it. Hahaha
Thanks man, yeah glad to do this, very relaxing.

So glad you brought your thread over here. Nice to see this forum popping off again. :heart:
Progress looks amazing, as I said in the other thread.
Thanks for saving this one!
I also sent you a friend request on Facebook.
Added you. Yeah bro it'll be pretty awesome when I'm done.

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought some new OEM Shifters with black stitching and didn't realize that we have silver stitching available LOL. So I quickly got one on ebay.

Reactions: jringo8769

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
^ That's extreme dedication there. :laugh:
I was so excited when I found the new one that I just hit buy, and I didn't even realize the stitch was different until someone pointed it out. I did some more updates today on the keyfob.

The old housing was tired and needed to be replaced, so I had to work it to get the immo chip out.

https://imgur.com/a/XrJhJfU

Bad news:
The seats I got are damaged and missing the top seat latch on the right. Previous owner didn't know as he never moved the seat and was much lighter than my fat ass.

what it's supposed to look like:

what it actually looks like

I don't know if and how this can be fixed :( ...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hey Schwabo. Welcome back!

I haven't been active vortex for a bit, but happy to see your new ride. Hope it brings you a lot of satisfaction as you restore it.

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

I haven't been active vortex for a bit, but happy to see your new ride. Hope it brings you a lot of satisfaction as you restore it.
Hey man! Good to see you again! Hope the R is treating you well!

Yeah it's been pretty enjoyable sofar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just picked this up from Germany as well:

should be here in about a few weeks!

·
Registered
2,287 Posts

Are those your R's on Joeys Mobile Detail website? He did a ceramic coat for my mk7.5 GTI. I would love to have him do my R32, but I want to respray my hood and bumper first.

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are those your R's on Joeys Mobile Detail website? He did a ceramic coat for my mk7.5 GTI. I would love to have him do my R32, but I want to respray my hood and bumper first.
I haven't had Joey do my stuff yet, he does quality work tho! I'll have him do my cars at some point :) This thing needs roof and quarter panel respray bad, the rear bumper looks a little faded as well.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I haven't had Joey do my stuff yet, he does quality work tho! I'll have him do my cars at some point :) This thing needs roof and quarter panel respray bad, the rear bumper looks a little faded as well.
He does indeed. :)

This thread is making me nervous about getting parts for my R as they wear out. It only has 64k miles, so its in good shape, but still....

I did the center console replacement through ECS. I know the bumpers are pretty NLA, so if I have a fender bender I don't know what I will do.

Is the exhaust NLA?

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

This thread is making me nervous about getting parts for my R as they wear out. It only has 64k miles, so its in good shape, but still....

I did the center console replacement through ECS. I know the bumpers are pretty NLA, so if I have a fender bender I don't know what I will do.

Is the exhaust NLA?
Stock exhaust taken off a car with 40k miles or less. Bumpers come and go, relatively speaking they're still available.

I'm excited to get the car sorted, it's been really fun bringing them back to life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,753 Posts

Is the exhaust NLA?
I just started purchasing what I felt would be the harder to find parts, both interior and exterior, once mine hit 60K. Sold it at 72K with all the parts, did not lose any $$ as the parts were a welcome addition. Had I kept it, still be buying parts as they showed up.

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just started purchasing what I felt would be the harder to find parts, both interior and exterior, once mine hit 60K. Sold it at 72K with all the parts, did not lose any $$ as the parts were a welcome addition. Had I kept it, still be buying parts as they showed up.
Well let me tell you, I never thought I'd pay $500 for exhaust system for a 16 yo car LOL. I recognized real quick that this is either gonna go OEM+ or aftermarket real quick. If I was handy with a welder, story would have been different but either way. Premium dollar for brittle MK4 parts :laugh:

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
8,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got a missing R Pedal finally.
Missing clutch pedal cover:

W8 Console harness from Kufatec

New exhaust: