VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you look hard enough you'll find cars hidden. Got a 1987 16V Flash Silver all original Scirocco. Been sitting in a warehouse here on Guam for 11 years!! 28,000 miles, smells like new inside. Needs fuel system work, brake system flush and belts due to sitting. Paid $1,700.00 for it. Need to massage and detail it. What is the car worth back there in the mainland?

· Registered
4,395 Posts
Re: Scirocco Find (VWVancouver)

Save yourself some trouble. I'll send you my daily driver and you send my your don't-dare-try-to-start-it 14-year-old car. I'll pay the freight and you'll have a car with new belts, hoses and tires. How about it??

· Registered
1,195 Posts
Re: Scirocco Find (roy evans)

I'd sell it if I were you. Unless you just like "collecting" cars, anything you do to it (like drive it) will make the value go down fast. If you did get $10,000, you could find a mid-mileage 16v for about $3500, put another $4,000 of engine and transmission work, and you'd have a semi-monster. Our cars are not nearly as much fun to drive stock as they are modified, but the modificatons will make your find worth less IMO.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Scirocco Find (kervin)

Hey guys, I did not think that 10 G's would be a realistic price. I have been a VW guy since the late 70's when I bought a 65 from my oldest brother. I will probably keep the car for weekend island cruises. Keepin it stock definatly, just like my GTI 16V. I always have my G-60 GTI to play racer boy with. When I get a digital camera I'll down load some pic's to you guy's.
Alot of active duty air force and navy folks here got VW's, we are organizing a island cruise. Tropical paridise is VW jammin. Still like watchin the Honda and Toyota dudes expressions when Ismoke tires with my G-60, They think I am insane! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,864 Posts
Re: Scirocco Find (roy evans)

I helped a friend find/purchase a 1980 Scirocco S last year with only 35K original miles front the original owner. The car was has some minor surface rust on the rear hatch but was othewise in very nice condition.
We got it for......$1850.

And this was from an enthusiast, not just an "economy car" owner.
I purchased my near mint 68K mi. 1981 Scirocco S (Cosmos) for <$1000 from the original owner that seemed to be pretty attached to the car.
Like someone posted earlier, On the open market it is only worth what someone will pay you for it. On a personal level the value is very hard to measure.
Mars and Cosmos are worth WAY more to me than I would ever be able to sell them for so I will probably keep them........forever....

Randy
81 Scirocco S "Mars"
81 Scirocco S "Cosmos"

· Registered
477 Posts
Re: Scirocco Find (Josh[deady]Able)

I can understand appraised value meaning what the parts and labor are worth on the car. I'm sure an enthusiast would pay premium for that Seidl Scirocco, but most businesses and laypeople look at the Blue Book value. I've heard horror stories of folks wrecking their prize VW's and wrangling with the insurance companies about the value. Document your mods, keep your receipts.

· Registered
652 Posts
Re: Scirocco Find (Josh[deady]Able)

I would say keep it as finding a minted and low mileage Scirocco are very few and far between we spent a year looking for a Scirocco we were happy with, 4 Scirocco's later, We got our 82k 87 Scala 2E2 Pierburg for £250. All that was wrong was a broken Handbrake Cable And She passed Her MOT, We had to replace the Exhaust and she has been a sound car since, I wouldn't part with her now, even though we've had another 2 Scirocco's and a Polo, Yeah Keep It.... Mind you we have spent around another £2000 on mods........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.