VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! My name is Konstantin. I'm from glorious country Belarus. Start my own build thread at vwvortex was my dream. I just want to apologize for my English. I will try to briefly and clearly tell about my project. But build is moving very slowly. I started the project in 2010. I was lucky to find the body in very good condition. I had completely empty garage, without any tools. Several years body just covered in dust in the garage, until I bought necessary tools and collected his thoughts. I bought a welding machine, compressor, sandblasting gun and many different tools. Now I have a double garage, there's enough place for work.

Historic photo :)

Body work I started shaving engine bay. I use R-M epoxy primer. Some photos.

The idea to install 4motion system appeared in process of work. I bought a rear beam from Golf mk2 syncro...

...and began to cut. :eek:

But with this setup wheel will not in the middle of wheel arch.

And I decided to move the rear beam about 2 cm. I made a temporary frame between rear beam mounts, it was adapter to install rear beam.

Done. That's better! :D

Frame rails restoration.

Then I started doing the prototype new rear beam mounting platform.

I made a hydraulic press for bending platforms.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In summer I bought the cardan shaft from TT, rear diff with subframe from Octavia, 02M DRV 6 Speed Gearbox from Bora.

Then I continued work with platforms, welded the bolts and nuts.

When I installed the gearbox and engine block using the stock pass mount, I noticed that the angle drive flange of gearbox isn't in middle of the tunnel. It has been displaced to the pass side of 4 cm. I decided to move engine so that the cardan shaft was in the middle of tunnel. From scrap metal I made a temporary model of engine and gearbox with all necessary mounting points.

Move stock pass mount by 4 cm. And I need to rise up engine about 2 cm higher. For this I made a new position of screw hole in future mount. Hope you understand :)

Then I install this construction to body using a angle level.

The distance between steering rack and cardan shaft 2 cm.

Further I placed a new mounts to body and welding it with temporary model. So I'll get the exact position of the future mounts.

Cut tunnel :)

And made a temporary mounts for engine and gearbox :)

Temporary bottom mount.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Began to install rear diff with subframe. Cut rear floor. And again I made a temporary model of rear diff for easy handling :laugh:

Welded to body a temporary supports for subframe and install rear diff.

Then I cut off the bottom part of the subframe. And install rear beam. I also cut off all syncro brackets from rear beam.

Install rear diff with new subframe :)

Install rear syncro shafts. They are too long.

Then I cut rear frame rails.

When I finally measure the length of the shaft, I started making temporary models of future shaft. For this I use a shafts from Passat B3.

And last update for today - I bought a cool wheels! Kerscher Carmona R16 J9 ET15 tire size 215/40 :)

And so, I showed you the progress of my project for several years. Do not judge strictly :) I still have much work to do. I'll try to update my build thread more often. For the full my build thread click here

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
24,823 Posts
Dang, this is some seriously awesome cutting and welding. :eek::eek::eek::thumbup::beer:

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I'll split up the comments from Canada and insert mine (from California) :peace:

Damn nice work! Keep up the progress, this is very interesting. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
WOW, just, WOW

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Subscribed :)

4 motion :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,143 Posts
Oh heck yeah! :eek::thumbup::beer:

Great skills!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I like that when someone from somewhere you wouldn't think of, pops up here, first post and BANG arrives with an amazing build that drop most jaws.
And well documented.
Nice work!
добрая праца!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you guys for the warm reception!!! :peace:

Today I work with front driveshafts. Not long ago I already started to fabricate a left front shaft. Then I decided to use a two parts: inner part with CV joint 108mm from B5, outer part with stock scirocco CV. So that the outer part get in to the inner part. I measured diameters...

Stock scirocco shaft diameter 38mm.

Driveshaft from B5 inner diameter 36mm.

Carefully I grind off outer part.

With the right shaft everything was simpler. I bought shaft on used auto parts store, and it good fit to length :)

But lately I decided to use a large front CV from Passat B3. So I had to change the length of shafts :banghead:

Today I re-measured the lengths and start to fabricate a new future shaft. I cut off middle piece and tack weld together.

Further I began modify a left shaft. Because the large CV is not fixing on the stock scirocco shaft by retaining ring. As you can see groove is too short.

I decided to turn a new groove for retaining ring. It was easier than I thought :)

Now CV excellent to fit :) And left shaft almost ready :) Then I just need to securely weld all parts of shafts.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts