VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is a 95 GTI vr6... i've debated if its cv joints.. bearings.. or bushings of some sort.. it only makes noise when I turn the wheel. The noise is somewhat hard to describe, It truefully sounds more like rubbing. So my first assumption was steering rack bushings? but hey i dunno.. if anyone can shed some light or point me in the right direction i'd appreciate it. I may end up just getting it on a lift and turning the wheel and just seeing what turns up. but i figured someone may know.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re: Screachy sound from my steering, anyone know what it could be? (Tasmz)

I had the same noise on mine.
There is a copper part under the steering wheel(probably connected to the horn) that tend to attract dust, and you then get a grinding noise when your turn the steering wheel.
I just cleaned mine with a cloth and ... au revoir le noise
my 0.1 euro worth ...

·
Registered
18,164 Posts
Re: Screachy sound from my steering, anyone know what it could be? (Guillaume)

Yep. Same problem here only last week. Started getting an obnoxious scraping noise
whenever I turned the steering wheel. Looking around the crack between wheel and steering
column you'll see a little contact touching a circular plate on the lower left side (I could see it
looking up from the lower right side with the window backlighting it). I just stuffed something in
between the contact and the plate and rubbed it around to clean off whatever crud it
had collected, then holding it in place I turned the wheel through 360 degrees to
clean the circular plate, and everything's happy and again. A popsicle stick with a light
cloth over the end should do the trick.
ian

·
Registered
156 Posts
Re: Screachy sound from my steering, anyone know what it could be? (Tasmz)

i've had that same noise in my steering wheel as well. i just used some wd-40 w/ a q-tip. keeps the sound away for at least a few months. That gold/copper thing that makes the noise seems to be related to the horn somehow. maybe its a ground for it or something. if you put a cloth in between it and the wheel, your horn will not sound......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.