VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is a 95 GTI vr6... i've debated if its cv joints.. bearings.. or bushings of some sort.. it only makes noise when I turn the wheel. The noise is somewhat hard to describe, It truefully sounds more like rubbing. So my first assumption was steering rack bushings? but hey i dunno.. if anyone can shed some light or point me in the right direction i'd appreciate it. I may end up just getting it on a lift and turning the wheel and just seeing what turns up. but i figured someone may know.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Re: Screachy sound from my steering, anyone know what it could be? (Tasmz)

I had the same noise on mine.
There is a copper part under the steering wheel(probably connected to the horn) that tend to attract dust, and you then get a grinding noise when your turn the steering wheel.
I just cleaned mine with a cloth and ... au revoir le noise
my 0.1 euro worth ...

·
Registered
18,556 Posts
Re: Screachy sound from my steering, anyone know what it could be? (Guillaume)

Yep. Same problem here only last week. Started getting an obnoxious scraping noise
whenever I turned the steering wheel. Looking around the crack between wheel and steering
column you'll see a little contact touching a circular plate on the lower left side (I could see it
looking up from the lower right side with the window backlighting it). I just stuffed something in
between the contact and the plate and rubbed it around to clean off whatever crud it
had collected, then holding it in place I turned the wheel through 360 degrees to
clean the circular plate, and everything's happy and again. A popsicle stick with a light
cloth over the end should do the trick.
ian

·
Registered
920 Posts
Re: Screachy sound from my steering, anyone know what it could be? (Daemon42)

check your power steering fluid. power steering might be going out. check all the other steering components as well.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Re: Screachy sound from my steering, anyone know what it could be? (Tasmz)

i've had that same noise in my steering wheel as well. i just used some wd-40 w/ a q-tip. keeps the sound away for at least a few months. That gold/copper thing that makes the noise seems to be related to the horn somehow. maybe its a ground for it or something. if you put a cloth in between it and the wheel, your horn will not sound......

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Screachy sound from my steering, anyone know what it could be? (SDgtiVR6)

its sounds more like its coming from the front end, than right at the steering wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts