VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goddamn POS

Was hauling much ass, this new stage 5 (level 4) chip totally rocks balls. Going up a hill screeeech, thwap thwap.. Drove a minute to get home, and all my belts are all gone

Anyone got the Part # for the 68mm pulley belt? Goddamn cheap ass belts..
1. Check Powersteering - turns easily by hand
2. Check water pump - turns easily by hand
3. Check charger - turns easily by hand
4. Check Alternator turns freely by hand
5. Check both idler pullies turns feely by hand.
[email protected]#[email protected]!#$
Oh well time for a new V-belt (and p/s pump belt). Only took about 1 minute of driving to blow the overflow tank as i pulled up to the driveway.

[Modified by mrkrad, 9:54 PM 8-5-2002]

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Re: SCREEEEECH - WTF? all my belts are gone... (mrkrad)

LOL! Belts... Same thing happened to me.
I'm at work and my car is in the shop so I don't have your belt numbers handy. Maybe CCA will have it. I'll go look.
Llew.,

·
Registered
3,035 Posts

CCA didn't have it but I found this for 68mm.
Special 1750mm drive belt to work with smaller diameter pulley
PART NO....................................................................................6PK1750
If I remember correctly, gates belt part numbers match the length in millimeters. 1750 etc. So adjust from there.
Llew.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts

Your tensioner shock might be worn out. If that's old you could toss a perfectly good belt at high RPM. Also be sure all the pulleys are perfeclty lined up. A mounting bolt for one of the idlers or accessories could have come loose and cocked a pulley. I also saw a dealer installed pulley job go all wrong when they bent an idler pulley bracket trying to get the belt on. Damn thing kept chucking belts untill I noticed the missaligned pulley. Good thing is the dealer replaced the bracket for free

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: SCREEEEECH - WTF? all my belts are gone... (thetatau87)

new belts put on
american belt size for stock pulley 690
for 68mm pulley 685
for 58mm'ish pulley 680
pep boys special $12 for serp belt. They can pull up the stock serp belt and ask for the smaller size #.
Works good. Drove it maybe 50+ miles today everything was ok. Was a mutha f***** getting the tensioner on i guess this belt is tighter than what got shredded.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts