VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my '90 Jetta home today from a two hour round trip and noticed it's making a screetching/whistling/whining noise from the rear end. The noise is audible when the key's in the ignition and just turned to the 'on' position. Car doesn't have to be started.
I'm thinking my fuel pump's died on me. . . or at least is in the process of dying.
Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen or knows what it might be. I'd love to not have to change the fuel pump, but will do it tomorrow if that is actually the case.
It has to be something electrically driven, obviously. . . since I get the noise when the engine is not running.

Replies are appreciated. Sorry for the lack of pics. My MKII isn't exactly pic worthy yet. Gimme a month or so at the longest.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump bump bump for the weekend.
The noise stopped when I went to the grocery store. I know the noise meant something, however. Whatever. I'm pretty sure I know the answer. . . just hoping someone could either give me an affirmative or tell me there's maybe something else wrong.
Much dubness to the 'tex.

· Registered
1,369 Posts
mk2s are notorious for the loud pump- but it doesnt necessarily mean its gonna fry- you should look into testing the in tank pump- if its dead, the other one will struggle. the bentley list the pump rates by model so you can test em both
hope that hels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.