VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone in central nj with a em4f sds willing to help a little. basically i would like to plug my ecu and programer into another car to see if the problem follows the parts. when cold the car starts and will run for 30 seconds then shuts down. start it again and it runs for less time and shuts down again. this will happen 3-4 times untill it will not start at all. have traced it to the spark cutting out, can be seen with a timing light too. its not the coils, i can fire them as per the manual and plug them back in and still no-go. magnet gaps are good, shows seen too and no rpm err message. im in englishtown but will come to wherever you are if you want but i do have a heated garage http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
3,736 Posts
Re: sds help in NJ (DougG60)

same happends to me, im too lazy to tune my start up maps for my car, its cause itsbeen so cold, good luck, im in CT liek 1 hour 15 form e-town, i would help if i coudl but tahts far, i only been having probs starting up since its been so cold, oh well,

edit:: im turbo12v..... i know he had a sds 8v, and has a sds 12v now... IIRC ithink he had many 2.0 probs, dunno tho, but he says he can tune, holal at him, i think he's in haccketwtown, right by island dragway, kinda sad when you know poeple screen names and locations so well, means you spend too much time in here lol

Modified by D Wiz at 1:12 AM 1-14-2004

· Registered
1,750 Posts
Re: sds help in NJ (D Wiz)

Check it with a wideband,see what your fuel is doing during warmup,you want it rich about high 11's-mid 12's and hold the gas a little bit when you are warming up.Even in Hawaii I have to hold the idle at 1000 rpm for a minuite or 2 before it will idle................Check your power and grounds,but your warmup fueling is probably the culprit,maybe too rich,and flooding after dying out and giving you hard start. Try more advance at the bottom end.

· Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: sds help in NJ (Holy Piston)

this one has nothing to do with warm up. the car is sitting in a 60deg garage. it actually started during the summer going to treffen. was driving on the highway and the engine would cut out for 5-10 seconds then fire back up. just happened randomly and could never make it do it. in the fall it ran fine and wouldnt shut down at all. now that its cold it happens every time, luckily i have a daily driver. if i pull a spark plug and run it on 3 cylinders you can actually see the spark going out and killing the engine. rpm doesnt matter 1k or 2500.

· Registered
24,970 Posts

might just be a fud ecu. For the most part, the cpu has a watchdog which reboots the unit instantly if there is a fault.
Watchdog will reboot the ecu if anything goes wrong, rom,ram,whatever.
sds is in the same family of processors as digi-1,tec2,and of course itself.
If you are sure you have everything down tight, i'd send that cpu back for repair.
very possible. shiz goes bad. Any humidity in your 60F garage?? Would suck to rust out the SDS ecu. If its water proof though shouldn't matter.

· Registered
1,235 Posts
Re: sds help in NJ (mrkrad)

Also, if your magnets are too close or there is a problemk with the hall sensor in general, the car will cut out like that.
I forget where the guage screen shows the hall sensor alarm, i think at the RPM.
Check it and see if thats your problem, if it shows an RPM error then pressing the +10 button will clear it.
RPM ERR message or engine miss:
Check Hall sensor alignment.
Check Hall sensor air gap.
Hall sensor bracket is vibrating. Improve bracket.
Interference from plug wires. Try a different brand of spark plug wires.
Make sure that all SDS sensor wiring and Hall sensor cable is not close to spark plug wires or any high current/voltage wires.
Check plug gap. Reduce to confirm.
Check alignment of Hall sensor over magnets. Loosen Hall sensor mounting bolts and try adjusting Hall sensor.
Spark plug gap too high. Reduce gap.
Edit, just noticed that you said there is no RPM error, sorry, wasnt payin attention.
It does sound like your engine temp values may need a little tuning,,,,
it took me a while to get mine set right for 60 degrees.

Modified by mattstacks at 12:52 PM 1-14-2004

· Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: sds help in NJ (mattstacks)

well lets see, done, done, done, done and so on. cold start has nothing, let me repeat that nothing to do with the spark its a fuel adjustment only. i installed this system a year ago and have changed nothing. it worked without a single problem for 6 months. besides cold start will not effect anything when the car is driving on the highway during the summer and it shuts down. was cranking it this morning with a plug removed and no spark. the magnets are being seen because the injectors are operating. can also watch the display and it changes from not seen to seen and back as it cranks over on the starter. i think Sam hit it that its a ecu problem thats why i want to try it in another car just to make sure

· Registered
1,750 Posts

I would say check ALL of your grounds,and ignition switch,if you have bad current supply,you will get intermittent problems. Are you running coilpacks or MSD/distributor setup. If coilpacks,make sure you have ample current running to them,I always install a fused relay system from battery straight to coil packs,and make sure all of your grounds are in excellent shape,99% of current suply problems are bad/faulty connections yo!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.