VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked around a bit to see if anyone else had this noise, didn't see anything. I've got a 2012 SE 5 speed manual that has a soft clunking noise in the shifter when going from 1 to 2. It almost sounds like a part is loose under the leather boot that slides independent of the shift. The sound occurs just after the gear shift slides into 2nd. The noise is like a rubber ball rolling back and hitting the wall of the gear shift housing. And only on the 1-2 shift.

Anyone else have this? The car only has 600 miles on it so I can take it in to the dealer, but it's a pain so I want to wait until I'm at my 90 day inspection.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
The trim around the shifter is only held down with a few clips. Pry it up with a Gift Card that you got for Christmas that you don't plan on using, because let's face it, the Wicker Emporium ain't your scene. :thumbup:

Once you get it up, there should be a big ol piece of foam under there, that can be removes to access the gubbins of the shifter. Take it for a little drive with a passenger and have a look for something rolling around in there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I got the boot ring pried up using a credit card. It appears that the rubber gasket under the boot has a flange that should sit on top of the plastic housing, then the shift boot ring clips in and holds it in place. The rubber gasket was under the housing so it moved around when I would shift. I'm guessing that's what I heard. I positioned it with the flange so it is sitting on top, lined up with the tabs from the boot ring and snapped the ring in place. Noise appears to be gone, at least for now.

If this solution sounds wrong, let me know. I'm just going by the notches in the rubber gasket that line up with the tabs on the ring, making an assumption about how it should have gone together.

Only broke one of the four tabs taking the ring out, so it should stay in place. Wish I hadn't broken any, so now that's going to bug me. But I supposed if the VW garage had done it, they wouldn't say anything and I would never know the difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.