VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a car that A) wont break down and B) I dont have to mod and C) gets good gas mileage as I will be going to med school and I need something that I can just gas and go.

I currently own a VR6 S/C, have had it for two years, and I am getting tired of it.

The two cars I am considering are the SE-R Spec V and the MS P (also the contour SVT but thats a seperate category).

I have seen lots of opinions on both cars through the search function but no opinions on both cars compared together.
So, with that said, let's hear some opinions!
An important note, I will NOT be modifying this car. I need an A to B thats quick and handles well.

Thanks
Adrian

·
Registered
18,206 Posts
Re: SE-R Spec V versus Mazdaspeed Protege (Buckeye(OH))

Quote, originally posted by Buckeye(OH) »

An important note, I will NOT be modifying this car. I need an A to B thats quick and handles well.

Thanks
Adrian

i think that the protege will outhandle the sentra. for me that would be the clincher if all else was relatively equal.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Re: SE-R Spec V versus Mazdaspeed Protege (John A)

Speed and reliability will be similar but IMO the Protege has the edge in looks, and it also handles better, gets slightly better gas mileage, and is more refined in general. Plus most people don't like the Spec V's 6-speed manual at all.
I'd go for the Protege, myself.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Re: SE-R Spec V versus Mazdaspeed Protege (The Apple)

Before I bought my GTI, I had been driving Nissan cars through my dad. My last Nissan car was s Spec V. I can't give you any long term effects of the car because we leased a new one through the company each year, but during the year I had it I really enjoyed driving the car. Good performance and good suspension for about 20,000. Didn't really have any complaints about the car, but after driving my 20th GTI, the 6 speed is much more smooth on my car. I also see a MS P on my way to work every once in a while and I think it's a good looking car. Never driven one, but I like the styling. I'm not deciding on one car over another, but I can tell you that the Spec V is a great car, both handling and performance for the price.

·
Registered
24,098 Posts
Re: SE-R Spec V versus Mazdaspeed Protege (volcomman9)

If you're planning on keeping the car stock, I'd go with the Nissan... you're less likely to *want* to mod an N/A car vs. a turbo

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: SE-R Spec V versus Mazdaspeed Protege (The Apple)

I plan on test driving; schedule is tight right now with exams and stuff.
When I say not mod, I meant nothing major, I am likely to do a rear sway and intake on the nissan. Im not sure if I would want to up the boost on the P though.

Adrian

Modified by Buckeye(OH) at 12:12 PM 5-21-2004

Modified by Buckeye(OH) at 12:12 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
11,163 Posts

I say go for the spec v. You get nice handling out of the box, plus some really nice looking 17" wheels imo. Plus doesn't it cost less than the msp?

·
Registered
22,855 Posts

I would take the MSP, they look good and handles great.
SCC Mag had a shootout and the SRT-4 beats the MSP only because it was more power but the SE-R came 6 or 7th.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Re: SE-R Spec V versus Mazdaspeed Protege (inurb)

My really good friend has a 02 Spec-V and he loves it. he is currently at like 28k and has not had one problem with the car. (except a 3rd gear grind which we hear is copmmon with that trans). the car rides nice and handles ok for a "stock" car. he is very happy but the shifter is kind of notchey.
all around a good car. i also have other friends with problem free Nissan's

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Re: SE-R Spec V versus Mazdaspeed Protege (MYVOLKIES)

Considering what you are trading in, the mazda is going to fit your taste a bit more I would imagine.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Re: SE-R Spec V versus Mazdaspeed Protege (jacobyb)

i had an '03 spec v and i liked it enough. i would actually point you to a new mazda 3 though. good luck finding an msp, it's a good car imo, but they didn't make that many and i bet it's commanding a pretty decent price premium.
if you're going to school, the 3 might work best because it handles right out of the box, and with a warranty you won't have to worry about repair bills.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: SE-R Spec V versus Mazdaspeed Protege (yo vanilla)

Quote, originally posted by yo vanilla »
i had an '03 spec v and i liked it enough. i would actually point you to a new mazda 3 though. good luck finding an msp, it's a good car imo, but they didn't make that many and i bet it's commanding a pretty decent price premium.
if you're going to school, the 3 might work best because it handles right out of the box, and with a warranty you won't have to worry about repair bills.

Actually there are about 6 MSP's within about 150 miles of me, and no they arent cheap. In fact they are more than the Spec V buy anywhere from 1 to 3 k. If I do purchase a new car, it would be a toyota as my dad works for their north american hq's and I get a nice discount (read: Corolla XRS). The good thing about the nissan and the mazda is that both are still under warranty and generally that warranty is transferrable to a second owner.

Adrian

·
Registered
3,824 Posts

i hate the nissan interiors. feel like japanese versions of pontiac. lousy 6-speed, too. also, very commom and that badge couldn't be anymore huge and oboxious and loaded with by-racer aspirations.

·
Registered
12,147 Posts
Re: SE-R Spec V versus Mazdaspeed Protege (gravitymachine)

get a new Jetta GLI its got all of the above plus way classier looking
contact me i can sell you one, I work at MAG in dublin, OH and i have them in stock now

·
Registered
26,515 Posts

Depends on what you want to spend.
Most of the MSP's I've seen out here--although I haven't seen one on a lot since about December--were being blown out the door in the $17k range. Quite a bit lower than MSRP.
I would never consider the Spec V. I dislike the body shape, the interior, the old design chassis that isn't space efficient at ALL, and I don't think the ride-handling tradeoff is very good. The one I drove had weird-feeling steering; dunno if it was a combination of the 17's and LSD or what, but I didn't like it at all.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Buckeye(OH) »

If I do purchase a new car, it would be a toyota as my dad works for their north american hq's and I get a nice discount (read: Corolla XRS).
Adrian

hey then here's your answer: scion tc w/ trd blower
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: SE-R Spec V versus Mazdaspeed Protege (yo vanilla)

Wow, I guess I didnt realize it was coming out in June, that could be a possibility!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts