VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 12" Orion XTR sub (SVC) for my '94 Jetta. Recommended enclosure is 1.5 cu ft. I'm looked at a sealed box with a volume of 1.06 cu ft. How (and how much) would a smaller box affect the sound? A single 12" is fine for me as I only want to add a little thump to the factory system. Any help here will be greatly appreciated. Thx...

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
Re: Sealed enclosure volume: Effect on bass? (maxwell1295)

First off find the specs for the sub - what is the smallest recommened enclosure for this model sub ? If you go smaller than the sub was designed for its not going to sound that good. As for making a sealed box bigger / smaller , in general the larger box will produce better sound quality & accuracy and the smaller box is more suited for SPL. I'm willing to bet in your situation dropping down to 1 ft wont' make a huge difference

·
Registered
13,387 Posts
Re: Sealed enclosure volume: Effect on bass? (Lexi)

Quote, originally posted by Lexi »
First off find the specs for the sub - what is the smallest recommened enclosure for this model sub ? If you go smaller than the sub was designed for its not going to sound that good. As for making a sealed box bigger / smaller , in general the larger box will produce better sound quality & accuracy and the smaller box is more suited for SPL. I'm willing to bet in your situation dropping down to 1 ft wont' make a huge difference

I would think the Drivers Q would be more determining factor as to how it will react in a larger or smaller sealed box.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Re: Sealed enclosure volume: Effect on bass? (maxwell1295)

running a slightly smaller box won't make that big of a difference, not that you will notice unless you are an audiophile anyway. it will not move as freely or hit as low as it would in its recommended enclosure. you can always try stuffing the box with pillow stuffing to try to correct this. its an old installers trick, it makes the sub feel like it is in a bigger enclosure than it really is: if the box is too big it is best just to put spare blocks of wood into the box to take up space. hope this helps

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Re: Sealed enclosure volume: Effect on bass? (VERYLOUDSTEREO)

For better sound quality, would the recommended large sealed box sound better than the small sealed box? My 12" dual 4 ohm has sealed enclosure ratings for 1.0 1.25 1.5 1.75 2.0 cubic feet. F3 varies from 45hz for the small to 40hz for the large. Or will I not notice the difference?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.