VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since people on here seem only hear the bad stores about W8s, I figured it's about time I start a thread about mine and what's been done to it.

Mods:
2011-2013
  • 034 engine/trans mounts
  • Apikol rear diff carrier mounts
  • Black headliner
  • black grille
  • 35% tint
  • Electronic exhaust cutouts*
  • Funk Switch *controls exhaust cut outs
  • Dark charcoal woodtrim
  • Speedtuning USA tune ("295hp 291ftlb" Dyno'd at 221 AWHP, 255ftlbs. Dyno operator assured me his dyno reads low, would "rather have it a heart break than a church")
  • Resonator delete
  • B6 S4 front calipers
  • B8 S4 front rotors
  • Custom anti-rattle clips
  • Pioneer Appradio
  • ST suspension coilovers
  • Miro 111 19x9.5 et40
  • Achilles ATR Sport 235/35 19
  • shark fin antenna
  • Gordo Lip
  • Stainless brake lines
  • BC Racing Coilovers
  • Avant Garde M550 19x9.5 et40
  • Delinte Thunder D7 245/35 19
  • Morimoto 35W 4300k HIDs
  • Clear projector lenses
  • Stern snub mount
  • Pioneer AppRadio 3
  • Back up camera

Repairs:
Front CVs
Engine mounts
Front wheel bearings

As is:

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The Story

The Story

My first and only other VW
2003 GTI 1.8t

The W8
2003 W8 Sport
6 speed manual
Bought it with 113k miles, currently (2/27/14) has 145k miles and probably one of the best running Passats out there.

January 2012
Had a coworker been bugging me about buying my GTI for months, but didn't know what I'd replace it with, so I didn't want to sell it. I had so much blood, tears, love, hate (the usual stuff) poured into the GTI, whatever I got had to be pretty significant. Now, from this point to the end of the paragraph, everything happened in one night. I looked at a new A4, thought maybe I should look at an older S4. The only one I could afford would be a B5. I liked them, but they just seemed so dated, and the 2.7t seemed like too much of a head ache. I had really wanted a B6 Passat also, but knew I couldn't quite afford those, and I didn't really like their interior. So I thought, what about a B5.5 Passat. Honestly I only thought about the 1.8ts and V6s. The W8 seemed too intimidating. Plus I needed a manual, I was not going to buy an early 2000s Auto VW. But the 1.8t just seemed too small, and the V6 just seemed too boring. So I figured, well, I'll see what W8s are out there, just for kicks and giggles. Came across a manual one and figured it much be a euro car. Figured I'd look into manuals a bit more and found out they sold them here. Then found out they were pretty rare. Then decided that's what I need to replace the GTI. I started searching Craigslist. I found one 8 hours away in Duluth, MN. At that point, it was decided, I'm buying that car.

The next day I contacted the seller and told my coworker to put the wheels in motion to buy my car. It took a month worth of working with my bank and the owners bank to get the car paid for. And was taking weeks for my coworker to sell his car in order to buy mine. Eventually I posted it for sale to the public, saying someone was planning to buy it but just in case he cant, it's for sale. Someone offered $1k more than I was asking, so like any money driven American, I sold it to this other guy. After more bank drama and 2 weeks of not having a car, I made the trip to Duluth to bring home my new love.

The drive back was fun, discovering all the little trinkets I didn't even think about it having. And was incredible how smooth and solid the car felt. The car looked so much like the GTI, just in it's styling and interior, many shared parts, but the W8 just felt so much more quality.

Week 1, bought coilovers

Did a couple or repairs. Headlight ballast was acting up so I replaced them with some aftermarket HIDs ballasts and bulbs. Replaced the front axles due to torn boots and one bad CV, and 2 weeks later one of the replacement ones blew apart going through an intersection. Motor mounts split open and leaked out, replaced the with 034 motorsports solid rubber mounts (deleted the stock W8 vacuum lines). And all seemed well after that.

Motor mount top nut tool

I ordered wheels, but thanks to the HP2 calipers, I couldn't just slap them on. So did some work.

Plenty of room...

Day one with wheels on

The rest of the story is little things here and there. So I'll just post pics for now.
Garage door lip

Brakes

Black headliner

Interior trim, went from factory wood to brushed aluminum vinyl to black wood.

Refinished the factory BBS Madras for winter

Electric exhaust cut outs cold start

2014 Updates to come

Will post back as things are updated.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks very nice.

Where did you get the walnut wood trim from?
I assume you're asking about the first picture? That's factory Passat wood trim. Came with the car.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Sorry, I meant the darker "black" wood trim in your last photo. I have a 2002 with the same factory walnut wood trim.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I meant the darker "black" wood trim in your last photo. I have a 2002 with the same factory walnut wood trim.

It's a process called "hydrographics". It's how all the fake wood trim is made. Basically a film of wood grain print floats on top of a tub of water and as the object is dipped through it it stretches and forms to the pieces. Then it's clear coated.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
*ST suspension coilovers
*Miro 111 19x9.5 et40
*Achilles ATR Sport 235/35 19
Awesome car and my inspiration, it was this car that got me interested in the B5.5 and the W8 to be exact. My car will continue on where his car left off; with the ST coil-overs, Miro 111, and 235/35ZR19. I already got 'em in stock and will do an install (at the local VW dealer) soon for the big VW show in Texas.

·
Registered
91 Posts
very nice, did you do any modifications on the back suspension? im running st coilovers as well and the backs still need to go lower, i took out the perches and such, im ready to cut a quarter of a spring out

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
very nice, did you do any modifications on the back suspension? im running st coilovers as well and the backs still need to go lower, i took out the perches and such, im ready to cut a quarter of a spring out
W8s area all 4motion, so they're a bit different in the rear. Can't just take out the perches because it's a coil-over-shock design. But still, they are limited. I cut half a loop out of the rear springs on mine. And am actually getting different coilovers that are custom built for "extreme low".

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New BC Racing coilovers are in finally! Custom built "extreme low" kit. 30 way adjustable damping, adjustable shock body length and spring perches. So I can set preload and ride height separately. Gonna get these on tonight or tomorrow and write up a full review.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
nice...let us know how they ride.

oh...your picture of the woodgrain shift knob. i noticed a reflection in the head unit..can it be assumed what is happening?:cool:

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nice...let us know how they ride.

oh...your picture of the woodgrain shift knob. i noticed a reflection in the head unit..can it be assumed what is happening?:cool:
I have an idea of what you are insinuating, but he is merely checking his phone while resting his chin on his hand.

First drive, they ride AMAZING! So much more tuned feeling than the ST's. But for being a custom built "extreme low" kit, I'm pretty disappointed in how low it is, but I just put them on how they came out of the box. So there's some room to go down. Today I'm getting tires mounted on the new wheels, so once the wheels are on I'll work on dialing them in more. In the end, if they can go as low as the STs, and ride better, I'll be happy, and I think that'll be possible.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Initial review: These things ride so much better. Better as in they feel much more refined and tuned. They aren't as soft and cushiony as the STs, but they're are also way less floaty and bouncy. Only complaint is for being a custom built "extreme low" kit, they don't seem to go any lower than the STs did. They are nearly maxed out in these photos.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
It does look good but you're right it doesn't look much lower, but I don't think it is because of the struts. I think the tires is what makes it look just a bit taller. Does anyone make an air kit for this car? I don't think you'll be satisfied until it is on the ground. However, for my tastes, it sits perfect as it is now.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bam, turns out there was a bit more room to go. Still not as low as I'd expect from an "extreme low" kit, but still about as low as any other 4mo coilovers, and I love the ride.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts