VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched around for topics discussing the sports package and what exactly it is. However I just got a 2001 1.8TQ with (supposedly sports and premium) package, however it seems that I should have got the 17" wheels. Is this correct and what else does the sport suspension have/does that the normal A4 doesn't.
Thanks

· Registered
24,970 Posts
Re: Searched but still have a question (GBGTI)

the 2001.5 came with 17" RS4 style sport wheels. I do not think the 2001 came with such an option.
the sport package came with alot of extra goodies, btw. I was comparing the 2001.5 and the older (97) and noticed a strut brace, a brace in the suspension, and larger swaybars, and of course better shocks/springs. I think some of those items were not necessarily part of the sport package.

[Modified by mrkrad, 6:50 PM 2-4-2002]

· Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Searched but still have a question (mrkrad)

So does that mean that there is difference between the 2001 and 2001.5 "sport packages"

Or is the only difference the 17" RS4's

Also how can you tell exactly what items you mentioned as package option's?

[Modified by GBGTI, 3:56 PM 2-4-2002]

· Registered
24,970 Posts

The sport package should come with the same suspension mods for 2001 and 2001.5. The "celebration" and "sport" packages were available only on 2001.5, and this is why alot of people call the "17 sport" rims "celebration sport" rims, however, you could get a celebration car without the sport package, so i don't think its appropriate name for the rims

· Registered
77 Posts

Hi GB--
I essentially agree with what mrkrad has posted so far. Here's my take on your questions: Since the person you bought the car from has evidently told you that you have the premium package, we know that yours is a 2001.0 model. The premium package was replaced by the Celebration package in the 2001.5 models. The Celebration package itself consists of separate components (sunroof, homelink, auto-dimming mirrors(?), etc.) than that of the sport package. However, on the 2001.5 sport package, as mrkrad said, it included the 17" RS4 "replica" wheels (not actual RS4 wheels but rims that look similar) which some referred to as the "celebration" rims. On your 2001.0 sport package, you should have the 9-spoke 16" wheels with 205/55-16(?) a/s performance tires. From my understanding, the only difference in the 2001.0 and the 2001.5 sport packages is the wheel and tire combination ...with the 2001.5 sport package getting the 17" RS4 "replica" rims and ultra-high performance (summer type) tires. Otherwise you should have the same suspension set-up as the 2001.5 (sport) which would include siffer springs and shocks, solid rear sway bar (as opposed to a hollow sway bar?) and a 22mm lower suspension.

· Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Searched but still have a question (scirocco22)

Thanks for the informative answer

I still have one more question though, does the "sport package" have sport suspension which Audi offer as an option (do they use Eibach springs?)
Also its 10 spoke 16" rims
I just went out and counted.
cheers

· Registered
39 Posts

The sport suspension that comes as part of the optional sport package is not the Eibach springs. They are the OE sport springs which lower the car approx 20mm. from the non-sport suspension. The Eibach's are an accessory that you can purchase through the Audi boutique. I can't remember how much lower they will make the car (I think 1 - 1.25" from non-sport
)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.