VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, i've read the countless threads on black emblems and painting emblems but I'm not certian on the paint to use or where to buy it. I'd like to do this today as today is my only day off. I want to paint my front and rear emblems black (on a black GTI). I think i will leave the black plastic backing on the rear emblen unpainted, just paint the chrome.
I intend to sand down the chrome (any specific fine grit?) but would like to know what kind paint to get and where to get it? The DIY in the FAQ says use flat black (1 coat) and clear coat (2 coats). Does this sound right? If anyone can give a specific name of a paint to use (spray of course) i'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the tip, but that is in no way useful advice...i'm well aware that i could buy one and it would cost a hell of a lot more than painting which is not difficult at all either....not to mention i could have it done TODAY, if someone can give me a heads up on what paint to buy...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Re: (TurboPGT)

Testors.
DIY

Edit: I used glossy black by the way. The flat black and clear coat didn't cut it for me. I wanted it to match more with the color of the car.

Modified by mirencor at 11:56 AM 6-26-2005

·
Registered
140 Posts

Quote, originally posted by TurboPGT »
i bought krylon, i hope it works....says it works on plastic...im gonna go 2 coats of flat black and 2 coats of clear

Let us know how it turns out. Include pics!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (jjk)

Update:
Got both emblems off easily....used a blow dryer/fishing line on the rear, pieace of cake....Losen the front grill and managed to pop off the front emblem with a flat head screwdriver BEING VERY CAREFUL and nothing got damaged
....if you try to do this, take your time and be careful, as you could break just about anything up there with a screwdriver.
Sanded with 220 grit...nice fine grit, allowed me to rub furiously and not be so careful.... make sure u take your time, get the shininess off and do the small parts.
First two coats are on...Krylon takes ages to dry, but it looks great so far. Except where i smudged the rear emblem by touching it

Pics soon

·
Registered
6,982 Posts

i bought krylon, i hope it works....says it works on plastic...im gonna go 2 coats of flat black and 2 coats of clear

IF YOU ALREADY BOUGHT PAINT THEN USE IT WHY WASTE SPACE WITH THIS THREAD

·
Registered
6,982 Posts

dude, i posted the question earlier and got no answer, so i went out bought something with my best judgement....take your caps lock off and go pisss in someone elses thread

i put the caps lock on specifically for the reply above.

Modified by clanton1.8T at 5:34 PM 6-26-2005

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.