VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched out my seats with airbags to seats without airbags, and I'm trying to trick the car into thinking it's still plugged into something. I read about using a 4.7ohm resistor so I bought a pack of those and put them into the airbag harness. However, after clearing the codes I'm still getting "resistance too high" for both of em.

All of the threads I've seen on doing this are for the steering wheel airbag, none for the seats, so maybe this other clip I see needs something done to it?

Maybe there's a certain way the resistor needs to be plugged into the harness? I kind of just jammed it in there...

I appreciate any help / suggestions ! :beer:

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
When using a 4.7ohm 1/2 watt 5% tol resistor (colors are yellow purple gold gold), did you insert the gold side into side 1 (black wire is positive) and then insert the yellow side into side 2 (orange wire is negative)? If so, you might need a different resistor and I wouldn't know which one.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
You can install a resistor in any direction. Doesn't matter what legs are hooked up to which wire. I have no idea if the same resistor can be used for seats as for the steering wheel. Mk3 seats with airbags aren't very common unless it's a Mk3.5 Cabrio or later year TDI. 2.7ohm, 3.3ohm, and 3.9ohm 1/2w 5% resistors supposedly work too. Some may cause the light to flicker still, but not throw a code. Legs may just not be making good contact. You could cut off end of harness or splice directly into wires.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When using a 4.7ohm 1/2 watt 5% tol resistor (colors are yellow purple gold gold), did you insert the gold side into side 1 (black wire is positive) and then insert the yellow side into side 2 (orange wire is negative)?
Here's another shot of the harness:

There is no black wire... do you think I need to connect to both of those harnesses? :confused:

I have no idea if the same resistor can be used for seats as for the steering wheel. Mk3 seats with airbags aren't very common unless it's a Mk3.5 Cabrio or later year TDI. 2.7ohm, 3.3ohm, and 3.9ohm 1/2w 5% resistors supposedly work too.
Ya I've got the late model TDI... trying those resistors will be my next step I guess. Thanks :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.