VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i own a 92 corrado slc and i have found myself worrying more about staying in my seat than my driving during autox'ing. the stock automatic seatbelts just dont do the job for holding me in my seat. so i was wandering are there any 3 or 4 point harness that i can hook up to my stock seatbelt mounting spots for a sunday at an event then come home and unlatch them and use my automatic belts for daily driving

· Registered
7,575 Posts
Re: seat belt harness question (JoeVeeDubber)

Quote, originally posted by JoeVeeDubber »
If you're looking for a harness setup that is easily removable from the car I would suggest the TopSPIN Design setup. Check out the setup on the website. The harnesses are universally mountable on all vehicles.
http://www.topspindesign.com

the topspin setup is nice
setting up a GB on it .. should be up this week

· Registered
968 Posts
Re: seat belt harness question (bmxcorrado)

Quote, originally posted by bmxcorrado »
the harnesses on the topspin website are for 97 and up European cars. i own a 92 corrado, will they still work.

The harnesses will work just fine, however the Carbon Fiber bracket is vehicle specific as to the spacing of the headrest posts. Currently there isn't an application for Corrado's but a custom bracket could be made in the future.

· Registered
1,442 Posts

I've despised those CF headrest brackets since the days they first showed them!
I would NEVER, EVER, put a rigid edge of material DIRECTLY behind my spine!
There are other, safer, ways of achieving a good harness setup.

· Registered
147 Posts
Re: seat belt harness question (Charles R)

Quote, originally posted by Charles R »

So what are the better ways? I am looking for the best harness for the money. Is the Topspin groupbuy the best you guys have seen?

· Registered
968 Posts
Re: seat belt harness question (vuu16v)

Quote, originally posted by vuu16v »
I still think the topspins are a joke. How is it any better than a Schroth? It's not but it looks cool.

You can have your own opinion, but to be honest the build quality of the TopSPIN setup is top-notch. It is actually a lot better than most harness setups on the market. I have been using the setup for the past year and it works flawlessly. The bracket is in no way a danger to your spine, it is being supported by the headrest posts which are a rigid part of your seat and it is NOT going to fly forward. Until you have actually seen or used the TopSPIN setup I wouldn't make any claims and or accusations.

· Registered
968 Posts

Well, just to let you know, there are many VWs in the socal area using this setup with no problems at all. Namely, Mike Potter of parts4vws uses the bracket on his 24V VR6 GTI at One Lap of America with no problems and he actually loves how the bracket performs. If it's good enough for him, why can't it be good enough for everyone else. I am sorry to hear that you don't like the setup, but until you have actually used it and seen it function you can't really state a true opinion I think.

· Banned
4,742 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JoeVeeDubber »
Namely, Mike Potter of parts4vws uses the bracket on his 24V VR6 GTI at One Lap of America with no problems and he actually loves how the bracket performs.
Potter's a heckofa guy and all but that doesn't mean we have to be his clone does it?

· Registered
1,442 Posts
Re: seat belt harness question (vuu16v)

I know it will not fly forward. My problem is that it will not compress in an accident.
If you are hit solidly from the rear, (i.e. get plowed by some cell-talking SUV drivin' soccer C*&t) the seat cushion will compress under the intertial force of your body. On a race track, a spin and hitting a wall with the tail of the car will have the same results.
In severe cases, this total force can be measured in TONS (none of you are probably old enough to recall public service announcements about holding your child in your arms in an accident. The point, a 40lb. child becomes a 700lb. projectile in a 30mph accident...How much do you weigh?)
Either way, I'm sure everyone has seen slo-mo video's of crash test dummies. Trust me, you'll compress the cushions...a bunch.
That unit will NOT compress AT ALL. And since it's leading edge is close to your neck and spine, to me the possible result is painfully, if not fatally, obvious.
I have no doubt that this unit works perfectly well for locating shoulder belts. And in a happy-happy-world where Sh*t don't happen, I would have no problem with it.
But crap happens. And a device like this should ALWAYS be designed with the "worst case scenario" in mind, and this device fails miserably when you think about what COULD happen. On any street. At any moment. In an instant.
Now, for how it should be done.
Check any rule book and you'll see that shoulder belts are NOT supposed to be anchored that far below shoulder level in the first place. No more than 4" to be more specific. With this in mind, and even though I'd designed something myself, I think the bar from Yarrowsport, and a set of belts with a standard "wrap around" type shoulder belt, is the best compromise for a street car.
Beyond that, a simple cloth or nylon strap between the two belts behind the seat will do a decent job of holding the belts together near the headrest posts. (Or pass the posts through the material using grommets. Gee, a soft material. Why, that would be a much safer version of the topspin idea. There you go, IP, free of charge...use it) would apply to any schroth type setup.

· Banned
4,742 Posts

Beyond that, a simple cloth or nylon strap between the two belts behind the seat will do a decent job of holding the belts together near the headrest posts. (Or pass the posts through the material using grommets. Gee, a soft material. Why, that would be a much safer version of the topspin idea.
But then it wouldn't look like carbon fiber.

· Registered
521 Posts
Re: seat belt harness question (bmxcorrado)

The problem I see with Topspin bracket is that you are putting all the pressure on the seat back in a possible accident. The seatback won't hold that kind of pressure and the latch will break letting you go forward. And that is bad.IMO

· Registered
21 Posts
Re: seat belt harness question (JazzGTI)

The bracket has not forward or downward movement. Basically the bracket acts as a higher pivot point, which is perpendicular to the seat frame. The shoulder harness is not mounted on the bracket.
Basically the bracket acts as a harness roll bar. Like some racing application, the shoulder harness is mounted on the floor panel and loop around the harness bar.
Correction is that bracket has no forward or backward movement. I suggest next time if you have a chance to check the vehicle equip with the harness and see how the system works.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.